PDA

View Full Version : Mixing heads?

Lee'sdaytona
06-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Ok so correct me if I'm wrong, but an 87 2.2 turbo cylinder head will not work on an 89 2.5 turbo block correct? And my brand new 87 head gasket will not work on the 2.5 block either due to crossdrilling?
thanks,
Lee

tryingbe
06-08-2006, 10:22 AM
head and headgakset will both work fine.

Lee'sdaytona
06-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Well thats great news! I found this over at Gary D's sight, and I wasn't sure if he was talking about mixing tbi crossdrilled and turbo crossdrilled heads, or crossdrilled and non crossdrilled heads. I guess the gasket would just block the extra coolent passages in the block?

"There are a few more curves to throw your way before we move on. All Turbo II & 2.5 Turbo heads are "crossdrilled" for better block cooling (the blocks are crossdrilled as well to match) Later TBI engines have this feature as well (91 and up?) I have had no problems mixing these heads with normal blocks and vice versa. (The normal TII head gasket works fine for this combination)"
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
06-08-2006, 04:12 PM
The holes you can add yourself or leave alone, doesn't matter. Use the 005 gasket.
Also, if your going to run a slider cam, make sure the cam towers have the squirters.

Lee'sdaytona
06-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Alright, how about if the original cross drilled head is OK on the 2.5 crossdrilled block, would the 005 MP gasket have the proper holes already? I think I read that somewhere.
-Lee

turbovanmanČ
06-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Alright, how about if the original cross drilled head is OK on the 2.5 crossdrilled block, would the 005 MP gasket have the proper holes already? I think I read that somewhere.
-Lee

Yes, use the .005

turbo xtc
06-14-2006, 06:07 AM
i'm running a non-crossdrilled on my 2.5 crossdrilled block i just drilled the crossdrills in the key numbers is 37 degrees toward the center but you don't have to drill them out don't swap slider cam with roller unless you use the valves too roller cams are a little shorter and the valves are a little longer

MiniMopar
06-14-2006, 10:47 AM
You statement on the cams is not the case as long as you swap the cam and the followers. The geometry is the same. The only difference in valve stem length is between the G-head and the swirl head. The G-head stems are shorter, IIRC, but as long as you keep G-head valves in G-heads and vice-versa, you can run either the slider or roller in either setup.

On the subject of the gaskets, I believe the crossdrilled gasket (006) blocks one or two of the water jackets at the back of the head, probably to force coolant through the cross-drill holes. The 005 gasket lacks the holes for the cross drilling, but has the holes for the water jacket.

If I'm not having a brain-fart and this is true, then you should always use the 005 gasket if either the head or block (or both) are not cross drilled.

Lee'sdaytona
06-14-2006, 09:11 PM
You statement on the cams is not the case as long as you swap the cam and the followers. The geometry is the same. The only difference in valve stem length is between the G-head and the swirl head. The G-head stems are shorter, IIRC, but as long as you keep G-head valves in G-heads and vice-versa, you can run either the slider or roller in either setup.

On the subject of the gaskets, I believe the crossdrilled gasket (006) blocks one or two of the water jackets at the back of the head, probably to force coolant through the cross-drill holes. The 005 gasket lacks the holes for the cross drilling, but has the holes for the water jacket.

If I'm not having a brain-fart and this is true, then you should always use the 005 gasket if either the head or block (or both) are not cross drilled.

OK, but would it be a good idea to get the .006 if I AM using a crossdrilled head and block? I know they will both work, but is it worth the extra $20 for that gasket? I don't know if the dealer would let me exchange mine...I didn't open it and I have the receipt, but I bought it a few weeks ago
thanks for the info
-Lee

MiniMopar
06-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Yes, if both are cross-drilled then you want the 006 so that you are taking advantage of them.

Lee'sdaytona
06-14-2006, 11:16 PM
yeah....this sucks....well that will set me back a week to order that HG...but better I find out now than after I rebuild the engine!
-Lee

MiniMopar
06-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Well, the 005 will work fine too. It will just block the cross drill holes, so you should drill out the holes yourself so that coolant finds its way into the port. It just won't be forcing flow through it as well as the 006 gasket would.

Lee'sdaytona
06-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Well, the 005 will work fine too. It will just block the cross drill holes, so you should drill out the holes yourself so that coolant finds its way into the port. It just won't be forcing flow through it as well as the 006 gasket would.
Yeah....well I am going to attempt to just switch mine at the dealer. It may be worth the wait. I've tried modifing gaskets in the past and I screwed it up. I guess it may work if I put it on my drill press, but than I would take the chance of getting saw dust on the gasket surface...

BTW, does anyone know if I can use my MOPAR PERFORMANCE 2.2 head bolts (only torqued once) from my daytona and use them on the 2.5 crossdrilled head and block?
thanks,
Lee

tryingbe
06-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Why not new bolts?

Lee'sdaytona
06-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Because I remember reading that the MP bolts are good for two head gasket jobs.
Anyone know if its ok to use an impact gun to loosen the head bolts...that is the old ones that I'm not gonna use? Its so tempting, but something tells me its better to just use the breaker bar
-Lee

MiniMopar
06-15-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm a little fuzzy on the MP bolts. I've heard conflicting things about their strength...whether they are stronger or stretchier than the stock bolts. Either way, you shouldn't use stock or the MP bolts more than 3 times total. This is because of the way that you torque them: 65ft-lbs plus 1/4 turn. They can only be stretched like this a couple of times before they fatigue to the point of not providing enough clamping force.

ARP head studs are not torque-to-yield like the stock bolts are, so you just set the torque (no 1/4 turn) and that's it. You can reuse them as many times are you want. Being studs, they are easier on the threads in the block too. I'm not sure if the ARP head bolts are torque-to-yield or not.

turbovanmanČ
06-15-2006, 12:29 PM
MP bolts are no different that regular bolts and should only be used once. Many have used them 2 times or more but thats entirely your own choice. Personally, if your waiting for parts, buy some ARP studs and you'll never have to buy another head bolt again. Also, your dealer is hosing you, the 006 gasket is the same price as the 005.

Lee'sdaytona
06-15-2006, 04:36 PM
MP bolts are no different that regular bolts and should only be used once. Many have used them 2 times or more but thats entirely your own choice. Personally, if your waiting for parts, buy some ARP studs and you'll never have to buy another head bolt again. Also, your dealer is hosing you, the 006 gasket is the same price as the 005.
ok, well I didn't go back to the dealer yet. I was just asking if you guys thought they would exchange them. I couldn't see why not. I'm waiting to take the head off to see if its still good. If good, I'll get the 006 gasket, if bad, I'll use my non crossdrilled head with the 005 gasket I already have
thanks again
-Lee

Lee'sdaytona
06-15-2006, 07:47 PM
I was just out there continuing to tear down the engine. I happined to grab the intake manifold and pull forward....The entire engine moves a good 1/4 inch back and forth. I can't beleive this thing ran well prior...Do engine mounts go bad from sitting? I did notice that whoever installed the front engine mount bracket to the block, left it loose as well. Lucky for me I have a set of poly engine bushings waiting to go in. Just don't have the one for the Auto trans...have it for the manual tranny....
-Lee