PDA

View Full Version : 86 Charger Interior Resto

RattFink
05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Well, due to lack of money at the moment, I decided to start spiffing up the interior in the Charger, since it would be cheaper. I basically pulled out all the stuff that needs replacing.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad118/Mattikus17/DSCF1646.jpg

Both sunvisors, rear view mirror, 1 window crank, and center console are all broken. The heater control assembly is kinda screwed up too. The fan speed switch is pushed back into the unit and is all loose. I am going to remove the assembly and see if it can't be fixed.

Other things to do, re-cover the headliner. If anybody has any tricks or tips on how to do this, let me know. Also, where can I buy headliner material?

All the plastic trim in the car is there and intact. Downside is that it is all faded. What is the best way to paint the trim?

My dad is going to a good junkyard up in MI soon and will be checking for any of the broken parts I need. Also, if anybody here has anything let me know.

Mopar318
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I have some info in the thread when I did my own headliner

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45516&page=2

I also do L-body seats at the moment...and have lots of other things going on in the shop.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44272

:D

Mopar318
05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
You can get correct headliner material from www.yourautotrim.com

Good suppliers....if you have any questions, just ask!

RattFink
05-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Very good website! Will definitely be purchasing some stuff from them. As for the seats, mine are in really good shape and just need some steam cleaning, but thanks for the offer!

tmef
05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
I have an 87 Shelby Charger that I am going to part out here real soon. I have a practically perfect set of sunvisors, the heating control unit and most anything you might need.

RattFink
08-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Well, just got back from my MI trip. I scored 2 good sun-visors, 2 good window cranks, the heater control assy, 1 very nice rear view mirror, 2 un-broken ash trays, and a gas cap that doesn't lock. Pretty much got everything except the center arm rest, none were in good shape. The junkyard up there has about 20 L-bodies, no joke. Mostly base model, but one shebly charger that looked like it had an engine fire and is pretty much gone.

csomni
08-02-2010, 09:27 PM
did you see any finder exstenions. on any of them. i need a set for my 87 glhs

rich tideswell
08-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Well, just got back from my MI trip. I scored 2 good sun-visors, 2 good window cranks, the heater control assy, 1 very nice rear view mirror, 2 un-broken ash trays, and a gas cap that doesn't lock. Pretty much got everything except the center arm rest, none were in good shape. The junkyard up there has about 20 L-bodies, no joke. Mostly base model, but one shebly charger that looked like it had an engine fire and is pretty much gone.

which yard?

JohnnyIroc
08-03-2010, 12:01 AM

WOW, sounds like your set for parts :thumb:
and i thought the Chicago junkyards where good on the 80s cars...

RattFink
08-03-2010, 06:27 AM
It's Bud's Auto parts in Greenville Mi. It's a u-pull-it yard. 25 acres of cars. Almost no foreign cars there, and the guy doesn't get rid of much. Theres 50's model cars rotting away back there. Anyway, there's about 20 L-bodies, I counted 1 row of 15 P-bodies, then looked over and saw another row! 25 or so G-bodies, saw 1 lancer, 1 4-door lebaron hardtop, 10 or so spirits/aclaims, and literally about 40 old mini vans. I did not look at the vans, but there are rows upon rows of chrysler vans double stacked. One that stuck out was AWD. I saw only Turbo 1's, mostly the G-bodies and a few P-bodies. Nothing super rare. An old daytona turbo z, and a black daytona CS package are a couple to note.

JohnnyIroc
08-03-2010, 02:02 PM
hmm a 4 hour drive.... any 90 up g bods or any white ones?

RattFink
09-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Haven't been too active on here lately. JohnnyIroc, I didn't notice any white g-bodys, although there were a few 90 up one's, pretty picked over though. Probably wouldn't be worth a 4 hour drive. I took the front seats and headliner out of the charger today. Sadly, the CS logo on the seats literally started disinegrating when I touched it. The seats are in great shape though, is there a way to just get the logo re-stiched on? I plan on super cleaning the interior, re-doing the headliner, and replacing all the broken pieces.

rich tideswell
09-11-2010, 06:11 PM
pm mopar318 about having the cs logo re-embroidered

RattFink
09-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I'll probably get in touch with him, seems like he is the guy to go to. Also, where can I get a new sunroof seal/gasket. Is it generic weatherstripping or will I have to find one at a junkyard? Mine was baked to the sunroof and came off in pieces.

rich tideswell
09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
omni-potent for the sunroof seals

http://www.omnipotentparts.com/product_detail.htm#L%20body%20Sunroof%20Seal%20Kit

RattFink
01-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Alright. I basically have the interior how I want it. I didn't go too crazy. The new headliner is in. Everything super cleaned and all broken/missing parts replaced. I didn't bother painting any of the trim as the plastic is starting to fall apart in areas. I figure I will keep my eye out for charcoal colored interior parts as those sound like they hold up better. The seats need re-covering, but that will have to wait. It is in a state where it looks very good, but faded, and will be completely nice and functional to drive. The only thing I need to work on is a center arm rest, they seem pretty hard to come by in good shape. I'm gonna experiment with covering mine in some leftover headliner material for now. I'll get some pictures soon, I still gotta get the seats in.

Mopar318
01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
The center arms are a molded vinyl piece. You can cut the vinyl off and cover it that way. Headliner material wont hold up though.

RattFink
01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't hold up, but was hoping to just do it purely temporarily. I probably could just re-cover it with some vinyle. I'm feeling confident after my headliner repair lol.

Glhs80
06-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Howdy,

Looking for chrome corners on the seats. I must have broken mine on the way back from having the seats redone. Seems it is just the drivers seat. If someone has an extra set they are willing to part with or find a set in a salvage yard(all my local ones have crushed everything :(). Please PM me.

Glhs80