PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar confusion

BlueBaron
06-08-2006, 02:33 AM
I got these bushings from PolyBushings:

http://polybushings.com/images/fwdbarbushings.jpg

Lower ones in the picture went in ok, though seem like they squished more than I expected.
But the upper ones, for the ends of the bar don't seem to fit. They go against the inside of the '89 stamped arms I have, but the bracket that attaches to it doesn't want to go. It's a half circle shape.

Do I have the brackets from the '93 arms? I thought I was using the '87 ones. Now I'm wondering if they got tossed by mistake.

Are the correct brackets somewhat flat like what went on the K-frame?
Can someone show me pictures?

turbovanmanČ
06-08-2006, 03:36 AM
The outer sway bar brackets for the square bushings should be flat and the bushing will fit in it. The cast control arms had round bushings and a half circle lower clamp.

tryingbe
06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Info is all there.

http://polybushings.com/pages/moparfwdbarbush.html

NOTICE!
Some late 80's FWD cars had a universal
style bracket welded in to where the factory
bushings went into the k-frame. Not sure if
it was because a shortage on factory style
bushing or what the reason was. To replace
these you will need a "universal" style "D"
bushing that fits the welded in bracket.
PolyBushings.com has the correct fitting
bushing, you just need to let us know if you
have this style.

"D" style on the left, and the "normal"
factory style on the right.

GLHNSLHT2
06-11-2006, 11:47 AM
hehe that's funny, All big bar early kmembers had the Universal style brackets welded in. Blue, you need the flat brackets like simon said. Any 84-90 car will have the correct outer brackets. And Yes on mine Those middle bushings squish way more than I'd like. I put some washers in to space them out but then I came to the problem with the sway bar hitting the control arms with the weight of the car on the tires. Looked great at full extension of the suspension. I couldn't imagine what would of happened if I had hit any kind of a bump. How close is your bar to the inner portion of the control arms with full weight on the suspension. The factory bar has a dip in it to clear. Johnny's bars are straight. We tried a couple bars and they didn't work. Since the factory bar is the same size I'm just going to convert it to an adjustable end link design I've come up with.