PDA

View Full Version : logic module serial interface gone wrong....where did I go wrong???

TFmech
05-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I started out yesterday with the plan of adding a usb inerface to my logic module on the omni.

I printed out the instuctions got it all setup and went to soldering. I soldered the wires just like the destructions said and hooked it to the lap top and programed the DLP module. Put the computer in the car and went to start it and no start.......so I hit the throttle and it finally barked off running on three cylinders. Chugging fuel out the exhaust.....I have 83pph injectors so it can get a whole lot of fuel if it is not acting right.....I shut the car off and take the computer back out and make sure it dosent have any jumped solder joints and nothing looked wrong. I reset the computer and reved it up till it smoothed out and when the O2 kicked in it would idle fine. Still everytime I shut it off it starts up all stupid. Then look at the volt meter and it is charging wide open pretty much tried to burn the battery out of the car.

After cussing it for a little while and threatening to light it on fire I take the computer back out of the car and desolder everthing from the board. Put a chip in instead of the Ostrich. Put it back in the car and it is still stupid ruined my oil, still charging wide open....will not run. I then go home and get another socketed computer and put the chip in it and fires right up acts perfect. I go to walmart and get some fresh oil change the oil and ride it home.

Happy that it runs but still not knowing what I did wrong. Did I get to much heat on the MCU. I still would want to put the interface on it but do not want to ruin another LM from my supply. Has anyone seen this before or had this experience where did I go wrong????? Any ideas????

Thanks,
Kris

risen
05-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I sarted out yesterday with the plan of adding a usb inerface to my logic module on the omni.

I printed out the instuctions got it all setup and went to soldering. I soldered the wires just like the destructions said and hooked it to the lap top and programed the DLP module. Put the computer in the car and went to start it and no start.......so I hit the throttle and it finally barked off running on three cylinders. Chugging fuel out the exhaust.....I have 83pph injectors so it can get a whole lot of fuel if it is not acting right.....I shut the car off and take the computer back out and make sure it dosent have any jumped solder joints and nothing looked wrong. I reset the computer and reved it up till it smoothed out and when the O2 kicked in it would idle fine. Still everytime I shut it off it starts up all stupid. Then look at the volt meter and it is charging wide open pretty much tried to burn the battery out of the car.

After cussing it for a little while and threatening to light it on fire I take the computer back out of the car and desolder everthing from the board. Put a chip in instead of the Ostrich. Put it back in the car and it is still stupid ruined my oil, still charging wide open....will not run. I then go home and get another socketed computer and put the chip in it and fires right up acts perfect. I go to walmart and get some fresh oil change the oil and ride it home.

Happy that it runs but still not knowing what I did wrong. Did I get to much heat on the MCU. I still would want to put the interface on it but do not want to ruin another LM from my supply. Has anyone seen this before or had this experience where did I go wrong????? Any ideas????

Thanks,
Kris

You don't have to run the LM with the interface soldered directly to the board. You can run it plugged into the SCI connector, it's just that when I wrote the instructions that was the first way I tried it (it was actually based upon someone else's idea). If you don't want to open it up, you can use the SCI connector and run the USB cable back in the car.

As to what went wrong, I don't know. I've soldered up at least 2 or 3 of those things and they've all been fine. Maybe the LM you used was on it's way out and the soldering finally did it in.

Just out of curiosoty, is your omni converted to 87 T2 style electronics or do you still have the map on the ECU for the 85/86 style electronics?

shackwrrr
05-02-2010, 12:49 AM
what kind of soldering iron did you use? Alot of the cheaper ones with 2 prong cords have a lot of electrical noise at the tip and can give off massive amounts of ESD.

TFmech
05-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Risen, is there instructions some where of what wire to plug it into on the conector??? I am running 87 T2 electronics. I have a few extra logic modules so I might give it a go again.

TFmech
05-02-2010, 01:54 PM
what kind of soldering iron did you use? Alot of the cheaper ones with 2 prong cords have a lot of electrical noise at the tip and can give off massive amounts of ESD.

I used a 15watt one from Radio Shack. It does have a the gounded plug. The only thing I can think is that I got to much heat on the thing but I dont know. might go barrow my friends soldering station for the next go round.

Thanks,
Kris