PDA

View Full Version : 87 CSX Grill Repair

Turbodave
04-29-2010, 11:47 AM
I want to re-spray the engine bay on my CSX soon and figured I would shoot the faded grill at the same time.

Of course first I need to fix a couple cracks in the grill, there are no missing pieces, just a few 1-2 inch long cracks on the drivers side.

Curious what the best solution for repairing these would be. I can do bondo, fiberglass, or epoxy, but I'm thinking that there is a product designed for this purpose, just not sure what to look for.

contraption22
04-29-2010, 02:54 PM
I would use fiberglass. That way you can spread the repair over a greater area, and add some strength to it in the process.

Turbodave
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
I would use fiberglass. That way you can spread the repair over a greater area, and add some strength to it in the process.

That was my initial thought, putting some fiberglass on the backside to strengthen it, then fill/sand the front prior to painting, just didn't know if there was a magical bodyshop product I wasn't considering.

rich tideswell
05-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Drill 1/16 holes at the ends of the cracks to terminate them and to stop them from spreading.

Turbodave
05-03-2010, 08:55 AM
ended up fiberglassing it this weekend, just need to do a liittle sanding and filler on the front of it to clean it up and it's ready for paint.