PDA

View Full Version : A568 stuck in reverse

iTurbo
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm helping a local guy put together a '91 Spirit R/T. He finally got the car running, but after a few miles the trans is stuck in reverse. I helped him with it today thinking that it was probably a cable issue, but the selector shaft appears to be jammed in reverse. The selector shaft coming out of the top of the trans will go in/out, but it won't rotate side-to-side to select a different gear. Any ideas why it could be jammed? We can't get it out of reverse no matter what!

2.216VTurbo
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Twice now I have seen the roll pins back out of the shift fork assy and it will either try to select two gears at once or stay stuck in one:( Easy fix if so, just unblot the inspection plate and coax the offending pin back into place.

iTurbo
06-07-2006, 02:52 PM
We'll give it a try. Thanks!

TurboGLH
06-07-2006, 03:04 PM
The shift selector should not move in and out when a gear is selected, it should only move like that when the trans is in neutral. So theres a good chance that you do have an issue in the shift selector, just be carefull when you pull it that you don't lose any of the springs and to put the shouldered bolts back in the correct holes.

iTurbo
06-07-2006, 03:09 PM
That's strange, the trans is stuck in reverse, yet the selector shaft will move in/out like it's in neutral. Thanks for the tip on the bolts. I'll have to watch out for that.

Boogieman142
06-08-2006, 02:40 AM
there was a tsb on this a while ago, it involved installing new detent rollers and springs. Mine did the same thing and i installed the new parts and it is as good as new now, a easy fix.