PDA

View Full Version : General: Denso alternator bracket

87glhs
04-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Looking for the lower mounting bracket needed to mount a Denso alternator in an '87 L-body Charger. ;) Thanks!

87glhs
05-03-2010, 05:29 PM
:bump2:

turbovanmanČ
05-03-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18131

Hemi417
05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
is this a factory bracket ,,pics??

87glhs
05-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info on using the factory bracket--I think I'll give that a try.

My general understanding of the Denso upgrade was that there was a specific lower bracket from a later model 2.5L Shadow (or similar) that was to have been used, but not having had my hands in many of these cars, and the local JY's being empty, I've had little to go on. The center bracket on Cordes page looks right.

Mopartek had one a eBay awhile back for a GLH Omni, but I didn't save the picture he had posted for it.

87glhs
07-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Follow-up (7/2010)- I finally mounted the Denso 90A alternator (out of a '96 Caravan w/V6) in my Charger, I ended up re-using the stock bracket and it worked out fine.

I had to purchase a new bolt/stop nut, and attached it to the top hole in the old bracket. Clearance-wise, I decided to cut a small slit in the sheet metal next to the bracket and folded it out of the way a bit as the new geometry made the fit somewhat tight.

I also had to remove the plastic shell/insulator from the (+) Battery wire, exposing the ring lug, reamed the hole a bit larger on the (-) GND ring lug, and nipped the small wings off of the field wire terminals. I was able to identify the (+) field wire (+12v present w/ignition turned on) and made sure to land it on the (+) field terminal on the Denso.

The stock belt just barely fit--I shoehorned it a bit to get it on, and then adjusted the tensioner a few threads to snug it up.

The results have been great. I used to commonly run with a code 47 from a supposedly "tests good" Mopar alternator, voltage swinging all over the place, headlights dimming, to a now-steady 14.4v with everything turned on, and 14.9v-15.0 during the day. :thumb: