PDA

View Full Version : Can you use PT crusier turbo rotors on a non-turbo PT? or on an Omni??

Clay
04-19-2010, 06:56 PM
I found out during my PT brake job that the turbo rotors are much thicker than the non-turbo rotors on a PT.

Starting thickness on the turbo is 1.1", minimum thickness on Turbo rotors is 1.04".

Starting thickness on the non-turbo is 0.906", minimum thickness on non-turbo rotors is 0.803".

My turbo PT rotors were at minimum thickness, so they are useless to me, BUT could someone w/ a non turbo use them??

Also, could these be used on a turbo Omni? :eyebrows:

zin
04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Easiest way to find out about the Omni would be to try swapping them... I would be cool if you can, I don't recall what the stocker's width/mass is, but it sounds like they made the turbo PT rotors with more "meat" to have a better/higher capacity heat sink... Something that would be nice on the Omni!

Mike

turbovanmanČ
04-19-2010, 07:25 PM
I would compare how thick the metal is, on both sides of the rotor and compare to an L body etc, if close, then use them, if not, don't. As we know, when rotors get too thin, they tend to warp alot easier.

J&H Ryan
04-29-2010, 09:25 AM
I know that SRT knuckles are different than neon knuckles to accommodate different brake brackets, not sure if that translates to the GT/PT or not.

Jack's Dodge
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
The caliper size on a n/a pt looks to be the same as the srt4. Would seem logical they would share the same hardware. The srt/pt brake hardware is quite similar the the 11.44" setup found on the spirit/lebaron.

Quite dangerous on an L-body.

Clay
05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Quite dangerous on an L-body.

You can't say this with out an explanation. :D

Jack's Dodge
05-05-2010, 02:08 AM
The old SLH2 swap. Someone did a write up basically instructing how you can use mini van front calipers on a TD. Also gave information on the 11.44" front rotors and 11" rears (SLH-3).

Some shared your same ideas of using these huge brakes on a small and light L-body. Now your daytona/ lebaron (maybe even shadow/duster) may need some brake power of this caliber, but the L-body does not. It's about as light as my neon. Maybe lighter. Even on my stock neon brake system (use gold rear pads) I locked up my rear brakes in a turn, and wrecked my old car. All four tire had flat spots fron locking clean up. Now just image larger rotors and pads. It is just overkill. I have a srt-4 brake setup, but it has no use on my current neon.

Clay
05-05-2010, 07:55 AM
eh, I dont know that I would worry about it so much on the front, but I do see your point.

Mopar318
05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Does the PT turbo just have a larger vent? Or is the metal actually thicker? It would make more sense that they just have larger vents. As more thickness, take more friction to heat, so it would brake worse.

Just my thoughts on that.:thumb: