PDA

View Full Version : Testing/Cleaning injectors?

prepared
04-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Is there an easy DIY way to test/clean fuel injectors?

The engine we put in the P-body came with +40's. When I first fired it up, I had one dead cylinder. Traced it down to a fuel injector. Ended up popping in a set of stock injectors, 2-bar, stock ECU.

This engine sat (in a vehicle) non-running for 4-5 years. It ran very well before being parked. Not real sure why the injector would have pooped out.

I'd like to set up some kind of testing/cleaning contraption to run through the four +40's. I know I can buy them individually, but now it makes me wonder about the health of the other three.

zin
04-16-2010, 09:25 PM
I've been planning on building my own reverse flow cleaner so I'll share my tentative plans...,

You'll want to clean them in "reverse" so it will blow out any debris that may be trapped, either in the screen or elsewhere.

The way I plan to build mine is pretty simple. Two fuel rails (any will do), one with the regulator, one without.

Next you need a holding tank, you can get fancy or just use a fuel jug/can...

Then you'll need a fuel pump, an in-line filter would be a good idea too, any FI filter should do. An in-tank TBI pump could be used, but you'll need a tank that can accept it (aka a large opening).

Finally, an injector harness rigged up to allow switching ground from one pair of injectors to the other. This is so you don't run your injectors wide-open for too long, you can burn them up if you run them continuously.

Filler up with up with some SeaFoam and let her rip!

I'm using two rails just to keep all the cleaning fluid contained, though I flow them into air just to see if the pattern has been restored, or if they need more time...

Not quite a PRO rig, but good enough for who it's for.... (me).

Mike

PS I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, cheaper/easier, better?

JDAWG
04-16-2010, 09:51 PM
a way to test is to check impedance, if it shows 0 or infinite then its bad, but dont think it really can tell you if they are going bad or if they could be leaky

black86glhs
04-16-2010, 10:39 PM
a way to test is to check impedance, if it shows 0 or infinite then its bad, but dont think it really can tell you if they are going bad or if they could be leaky

You could test them hooked up to the fuel lines, but not installed on the intake.jumper the fuel pump and pressurize the system. Clamp off both lines and watch a pressure gauge to see if they are leaking. You could rig up something off the car, but the car is already setup, so that is why i do it there.

turbovanmanČ
04-17-2010, 02:49 PM
If you want to test on the car, simply unbolt the fuel rail, jump the coil + terminal, then take a modified injector plug and put one side to +, one side to - and either use a switch or hook up one wire, then have the injector spray into a cup or? then count, say 3 secs, then repeat for the other 3 and compare, it won't be 100% accurate but at least you can watch the pattern and get an idea of condition.

To clean, I have a fuel injector cleaner that I add clean, pressure then hook up to the scraeder valve, then run the injectors, so if you can rig something up or surf ebay, use a stock fuel rail, your good to go.