PDA

View Full Version : How would this turbo act...

Tony Hanna
06-06-2006, 12:34 PM
...on a 2.5 if I swapped the turbine housing in favor of a .48 Chrysler turbine housing?
ebay turbo (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TO4E-Turbo-T3-T4-Stage-3-Garrett-Turbo-oil-Line-Feed_W0QQitemZ8072413133QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem)
For the price, I'm really tempted to try it.

turbovanmanČ
06-06-2006, 12:38 PM
That actually looks like a decent turbo, better looking than the XS ones but they don't show you the turbine wheel, which on the other ones, looks like cheap pot metal. I think JKreiger is running a similiar one with a stock .48 housing and loves it. You will have to have the housing machined to clear the stage III wheel.

Tony Hanna
06-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Simon,
Would a TM swingvalve bolt to that turbine housing? I have an exhaust manifold already drilled and tapped to bolt to the standard Garrett flange. If I could make the swingvalve work, I'd just use that turbine housing.

Frank
06-06-2006, 01:02 PM
I would not do it. Its a 57 trim which is way to big for non drag racing 8v. Even drag 8v's it doesnt match that well. In addition, it doesnt have a cooled center section...

Someone already bought it, so oh well.

Frank

turbovanmanČ
06-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Good catch Frank, I saw the 57 trim but then saw the other 50 trim and forgot, doh!

Tony, you will need a custom DP made or by one from FM for the TIII. Its a Ford SV so the regular Dodge SV wont' work.

Tony Hanna
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I would not do it. Its a 57 trim which is way to big for non drag racing 8v. Even drag 8v's it doesnt match that well. In addition, it doesnt have a cooled center section...

Someone already bought it, so oh well.

Frank

Well, the guy is selling a bunch of them. A few are even less expensive without the oil feed line. What should I be looking for in the way of the compressor side for a street driven 2.5. I'd like to shoot for the 300-350 hp range.
Thanks,

turbovanmanČ
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM
46 or 50 trim comp side.

turboshad
06-06-2006, 02:24 PM
It also looks like he is selling it with teflon oil feed lines. You can see how it is kinking near the turbo. By the way everything is cheaped out I wouldn't trust the turbo he is selling.

DJ

Tony Hanna
06-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Wow, yeah. I got to looking around on Gary's site, and he was using a 57 series wheel on the Reliant! He had a .60 ar housing though and the one I'm looking at is a .50 ar. I wonder what kind of a difference that makes?
Anyhow, I'm going to keep looking, and maybe e-mail that guy and see if he has anything in a 50 trim. I'll be running synthetic oil, and I don't mind idling down the turbo, so the oil cooled part doesn't bother me much. If it becomes a problem, I'll put a turbo timer on it.

Tony Hanna
06-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Ok, worst case, what kind of issues would I run into with that big of a compressor side? Surge? When would it start building boost if I used the .48 turbine housing? I'm pretty new at worrying about turbo sizing considerations, and reading the graphs is beyond me, so any explanation would be appreciated. Maybe somebody should do a turbo sizing for dummies guide or something.

contraption22
06-07-2006, 11:39 PM
I dont understand why people don't just go with the tried and true combinations of a .63/S2/50trim?

cordes
06-07-2006, 11:51 PM
I dont understand why people don't just go with the tried and true combinations of a .63/S2/50trim?

That is what I have on my omni, and I love it. For the money, I don't think it can be beat.

Tony Hanna
06-07-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm still curious how this thing would act? It seems like all the low priced outfits on ebay aren't selling anything smaller than a 57 trim. I wonder why that is?

contraption22
06-08-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm still curious how this thing would act? It seems like all the low priced outfits on ebay aren't selling anything smaller than a 57 trim. I wonder why that is?

Maybe they are cheap? Plentiful? Leftover from diesel applications?

Tony Hanna
06-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Could be I guess.
It's a shame they don't offer a little bit more variety.
I e-mailed that guy to see if he has anything in a 46 or 50 trim.
We'll see what happens I guess.

Koreth
06-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I think that alot of these turbos are probably sold to people looking to turbocharge their Honda motor, in which case a 57 trim wheel will probably a good fit for a streetable motor, given that Honda heads tend to flow alot.

cordes
06-08-2006, 09:31 PM

I ran a 54 trim turbo on my turbo coupe with a .48 hot side and a S3 wheel. Granted it is a 2.3, but they spool a little better than the TMs IMO, so it would probably be a decent comparison.

I would say that my turbo spooled about like my 50 trim .63 S2 on my omni, perhaps a little better. So by 3,500 RPM or so, you should be putting out some good boost I would say.

I would suggest that the biggest thing you will sacrifice is efficiency with that 57 trim wheel. I know that they have been used before to make big power, but that does not make them ideal.

At the end of the day, if you can get one for 1/4th the cost of a 50 trim turbo, then I would think pretty hard about it too.

Tony Hanna
06-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Ok, if I'm gonna play guinea pig on this project, what kind of machine work would be necessary to the .48 housing to make it fit over that turbine wheel and who can do it? Is this something I'm going to have to have done by somebody that specializes in turbos or could any automotive machine shop do it?
Thanks!

cordes
06-08-2006, 10:42 PM
I looked into having a housing machined once. A guy came into the shop to have tires put on a truck that was owned by a machine shop, and he said that he had done the turbine housings before.

He said that all he needed was the dimesions.

This would probably be a good start.

I believe that the turbine wheel dimensions are listed on the site too. I am not sure what clearances they need though.

I would love to see the prints for the different housings, as the would come in real handy for people.

ETA: the good start

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbo_dimensions.htm

Tony Hanna
06-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, this may be a bad idea, but why couldn't a person measure a stock turbine wheel, measure the stage III wheel, and have the difference machined out of the housing? That way the gap between the wheel and the housing stays the same with the stage III wheel as it was with the stocker.

cordes
06-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Well, this may be a bad idea, but why couldn't a person measure a stock turbine wheel, measure the stage III wheel, and have the difference machined out of the housing? That way the gap between the wheel and the housing stays the same with the stage III wheel as it was with the stocker.

That sounds like it could work for sure. I would still use the printed #s for the wheel dia.s though.

Tony Hanna
06-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Ok, let me ask this. Are the different stages of turbine wheel standard and easy to recognize in relation to each other? In other words, is what he's calling a stage III the same as what we would call a stage III or could he be calling a stage I or II a stage III and if that was the case, would I be able to tell the difference by comparing it to a stock wheel either visually or with a digital caliper?
Thanks,

cordes
06-14-2006, 10:38 PM
If you have a caliper you should be all set. you can get the dias for the wheels from some where on here by doing a search, but I can never find it.

I can tell a stg. I wheel from a II or III wheel, but the difference between the II and III wheel is in the exducer dia, and I am not good enough to eyeball the difference between the two by the angle of the blades, but some can I hear.

Tony Hanna
06-16-2006, 12:48 AM
Well, Since that turbo comes with a turbine housing, I'll just take the machine shop both housings and let them measure the one that came with the turbo and machine the Chrysler housing to match. On the other hand, if the turbine wheel measures the same as a stock TM wheel, then I should be safe to run the Chrysler housing as-is right?
Thanks,

89acclaim
06-16-2006, 12:59 AM
I believe Hemi from turbo ford machined his own housing using a lathe. though he was putting the turbo off of a 401 Trans-Am into the ford housing.

Daniel Merrill

Tony Hanna
06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks Daniel, but I have neither the access to equipment nor the skill needed to attempt something like that. I'm going to be at the mercy of one of the local machine shops if I do this.
Tony

cordes
06-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Well, Since that turbo comes with a turbine housing, I'll just take the machine shop both housings and let them measure the one that came with the turbo and machine the Chrysler housing to match. On the other hand, if the turbine wheel measures the same as a stock TM wheel, then I should be safe to run the Chrysler housing as-is right?
Thanks,

Yeah, if the wheels measure the same, you should be all set.

Tony Hanna
06-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Cool, Thanks. :thumb: