PDA

View Full Version : fixing an exhaust donut?

cs daytona
04-15-2010, 03:49 PM
how could i 'bandaid' an exhaust donut until i get a new one? maybe its just the Red Green in me talking but i was thinking of wrapping some aluminum foil onto the seal surface of the donut and then crush it back on to the swingvalve. :thumb: how hot could aluminum foil get?

also lemme know if its just a stupid idea, and i should just live with the crazy loud backfires until i get another donut lol

travis

turbovanmanČ
04-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Just wait for another donut.

TopDollar69
04-15-2010, 06:04 PM
The aluminum will just melt, and possibly get stuck in your converter.

Shadowjake
04-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Local parts store should sell one. Just go buy one! I understand though . . . sometimes it's hard to fight our redneck urges :)

mock_glh
04-16-2010, 12:41 PM
how could i 'bandaid' an exhaust donut until i get a new one? maybe its just the Red Green in me talking but i was thinking of wrapping some aluminum foil onto the seal surface of the donut and then crush it back on to the swingvalve. :thumb: how hot could aluminum foil get?

also lemme know if its just a stupid idea, and i should just live with the crazy loud backfires until i get another donut lol

travis

Ah, the spirit of cheapness!:clap:

ShelbyZD
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I would imagine you could use some of the heat shielding stuff.. aka like the stuff that goes around your starter.

tmef
04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
If you want to mess with it more than once do anything other than get a new donut.

Pat
04-19-2010, 09:09 PM
If you want to mess with it more than once do anything other than get a new donut.

+ a lot. Just replace the donut.

cs daytona
05-08-2010, 12:36 AM
I've tried all the regular parts stores and 2.5 is the biggest they get. So far the only place I can get it locally is fwdp on the other side of houston. I just need to save up for a 3" swingvalve. And be done with it

shadow88
05-08-2010, 08:38 AM
If you have a 2.5" swingvalve and are in need of a 2.5" donut, I used a neon donut for almost 3 years now without issues. They're 2.5". A 95-99 neon.

glhs727
05-08-2010, 09:09 AM
I've tried all the regular parts stores and 2.5 is the biggest they get. So far the only place I can get it locally is fwdp on the other side of houston. I just need to save up for a 3" swingvalve. And be done with it

I'll give you a donut next Saturday when you come by for the beamer stuff. Drive your wife's nice BMW until then :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
05-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Do you have a 3" Donut?

TopDollar69
05-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I think the 3 inch ones come from 4.6L caddy Northstars don't they?

cs daytona
05-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I'll give you a donut next Saturday when you come by for the beamer stuff. Drive your wife's nice BMW until then :thumb:

Thanks! Lol I wish it was that easy! That means id have to trade with her. Wifey don't like the daytona that much. I'm still saving up for one of those headers y'all got btw :)

Yes I have a 3 in down pipe on a 2.5 in swingvalve

Caddy? Hmm good to know! Thanks

Travis

jamesmonty
05-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Check with a local muffler shop. And since I lived in Houston for a while, getting to the other side is not that bad! Just don't go during rush hour. I lived in sw Houston and worked near the woodlands area. 20 minutes tops on the beltway.

cs daytona
05-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Check with a local muffler shop. And since I lived in Houston for a while, getting to the other side is not that bad! Just don't go during rush hour. I lived in sw Houston and worked near the woodlands area. 20 minutes tops on the beltway.

True but rarely I have the time to split for a quick trip during the week, the I have to check with cindy to meet on Saturday. The muffler shops I've been to seem to not know what they're talking about. One guy just have me one off the wall and said "its a 3" but it was a 2.5. Id rather deal with somebody knowledgeable

tryingbe
05-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Small USPS flat rate box for is $5.

RoadWarrior222
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
The ones I've seen look like pressed aluminum foil anyway. I guess I'd give that a try, but with reynolds wrap or other premium foil, or turkey foil, the stuff that's a bit thicker. The method I'd use would be to cut strips and wrap them round, making sure the ends end up outside. Do a couple or three crumply layers and it should compress down far enough...

Thing I figured last time I bought a donut and the spring clamp bolts, was that for the price the local parts stores were charging, plus a bolt on flange, I could have run it into a decent exhaust place and got it done for the same $$$ probably.

shelbymonster
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
i bought a 3 inch donut at carquest 2 years ago .. still on the car , the aluminum foil wont work , ive tried it for a temporary fix and didnt hold for 15 min