PDA

View Full Version : LC-1 Junk

shackwrrr
04-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Well my lc-1 didnt even make it a few hours untill it died. I got a RMA number for it but Ive read that its a common problem and they have a high failure rate. So its not going back in. What would everyone reccomend for a wideband? I like the sound of the zietronix unit but I cant really afford it right now. I like the G5 gauge and its already mounted so I am looking for a unit that isnt built into a gauge.

1966 dart wagon
04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
i have a zeitronix unit, works fine.

aem sells on for a lil over 200 bucks, sounds like a good deal IMO if you dont want to datalog, hell it might even do that, not sure

shackwrrr
04-12-2010, 10:30 PM
well after looking at it I am thinking the zeitronix. I like all the datalog inputs it has for dataloging and whatnot. Anyone else have the z?

Aries_Turbo
04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
innovate makes a decent unit. they are one of the most accurate. lots of folks are using them. id get it repaired and try again.

they may have more failures because the electronics are inline and some people may mount them in less than desired locations. i dont think the power supply of the LC1 is that robust so you need to be careful.

you could also try reflashing the firmware to the LC1. some folks have had luck reflashing the unit with LC1v100a firmware using LMProgrammer when nothing else will connect to the LC1.

if you really dont want to stick with innovate, id go with a techedge unit. www.wbo2.com. thats what i have.

Brian

shackwrrr
04-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Ive been trying to figure it out but does the zeitronix unit have 2 outputs like the innovate? I have mine set up already for narrowband emulation along with my gauge

BLUEBALL
04-12-2010, 10:48 PM
So uhhh maybe $50 to take it off your hands?:p Jus sayin

shackwrrr
04-12-2010, 10:51 PM
im probably going to try and get around 170 for it. Still less than new and then I would only have 100 bucks in my zeitronix

GLHNSLHT2
04-12-2010, 11:30 PM
really? So they replace it for free and you're already pissed off so much that you're not going to try the new one? I have 2 LC-1's. Haven't had an issue with the LC-1 yet. My XD-16 gauge did go nutso, but they replaced it right away. Their customer service rocks. With one fault in the 5 different products of theirs I'm using I'll keep using them.

jl93sundance
04-12-2010, 11:43 PM
I've had my lc-1 for well over a year of daily driving and it's still working perfectly fine.

shackwrrr
04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Its not that I am too pissed to try the next one. I just really want the zeitronix for the data acquisition capabilites. I dont like how the LC-1 is setup either I would rather have a box that I run the cables to and from instead of a chunk of plastic that has a bunch o wires coming from it Since I have to run some wires here and a few there instead of having them all come to one place.

I know that there are good ones but I dont want to risk it for now. Some have opened them up and found out that they used components with a narrow heat range and again with the design it isnt easy to mount other than under the hood

jl93sundance
04-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Its not that I am too pissed to try the next one. I just really want the zeitronix for the data acquisition capabilites.

Lc-1 datalogs as well...

shackwrrr
04-13-2010, 01:35 AM
it datalogs but it doesent have data acquisition, You need to buy another box for that.

Aries_Turbo
04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
the zeitronix was less accurate in this test.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/FM_WB_Shootout.pdf

this is posted on innovates site but wasnt an innovate test. it was for some ford site.

badandy
04-13-2010, 12:30 PM
I've got a zietronix and love it. As far as accuracy goes they are all close enough to keep you from blowing yourself up...and plenty accurate enough to tune by.

Aries_Turbo
04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
they did say in the test that the zeitronix tested was an older unit. maybe the new ones are better but no one has done a big shootout since then.

brian

shackwrrr
04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
well I figured out that the zeitronix's 0-5 volt signal isnt the same as the innovate so I have to lose my gauge. so I guess I am going to sell my whole lc-1 setup and get the zeitronix with the lcd panel

Aries_Turbo
04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
can you reprogram the 0-5v signal from the zeitronix? alot of those signals are programmable in software. mine on my techedge is.

Brian

shackwrrr
04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
well I checked out the techedge and I really like that DIY kit. Is that what you have? It should be about the same as building a megasquirt which I already have.

How is the software interface? and the datalogging?

Aries_Turbo
04-13-2010, 06:37 PM
i have the older 2A0 kit which is no longer produced.

the cable is the hardest thing to build as there are alot of small connections at the wideband controller unit that all need to be heatshrinked and stuff. its not impossible, but its critical that you do a good job.

datalogging is great. you can log to the unit or to a palm pda or a laptop.

software is real nice but has initial nag screens and some upper level features disabled on the free versions but they are completely usable. i bought them. the added features makes it easy to tune a megasquirt... the matrix logging especially.

with the winlog software, if you had a logic module, you can datalog from the logic module AND the wideband to the same software at the same time. i believe that you can log Megasquirt stuff and the wideband/external sensors at the same time but the MS stuff is experimental as described on the winlog site.

http://www.devtechnics.com/winlog.htm

Brian

shackwrrr
04-13-2010, 10:57 PM
that looks good. and for right around 220 for everything its an awesome deal

turboaddict
04-14-2010, 06:33 AM
i have the innovate unit installed on a rotary dune buggy. 10 hours and no failure. of course i spent less and got the summit racing branded unit. i have used the aem unit as well with great success. both were in a couple of .10 ths of the dyno readings. no data logging, but that is what the dyno is for.

shackwrrr
04-14-2010, 11:08 AM
The problem is the components they use do not have a wide temp range. I mounded mine on the firewall and it exceeded the temp. They dont have any warnings about placement they actually say that it can be mounted anywhere. They are perfectly fine if mounted inside or in a location that doesent see alot of heat

risen
04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
The problem is the components they use do not have a wide temp range. I mounded mine on the firewall and it exceeded the temp. They dont have any warnings about placement they actually say that it can be mounted anywhere. They are perfectly fine if mounted inside or in a location that doesent see alot of heat

I have 2 LC-1s. Both mounted underhood on 2 different cars. The one on my CSX is mounted right next to brake booster on firewall. It hasn't died in 2+ years of summer heat which is the only time I drive the car. I doubt it was the cause of death for yours.

Which components do you think were under-spec'd?

wowzer
04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
I have the LC1 also since 2007. i love it when it works but it is somewhat "finicky". it seems to be very touchy regarding power supply voltage. if my battery isn't at full charge when i first start it will error out. after that it seems to work ok. i did "downgrade" the firmware back to 1.0 which seemed to help me, although warmup time is much longer. mine is mounted inside in my console.

turbovanmanČ
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I have the LC1 also since 2007. i love it when it works but it is somewhat "finicky". it seems to be very touchy regarding power supply voltage. if my battery isn't at full charge when i first start it will error out. after that it seems to work ok. i did "downgrade" the firmware back to 1.0 which seemed to help me, although warmup time is much longer. mine is mounted inside in my console.

How do you do that, I have an older LC1 I need to update/downdate, ;)

Speedeuphoria
04-16-2010, 06:16 AM
How do you do that, I have an older LC1 I need to update/downdate, ;)

Its on page 13 of the manual, which should be automatically on your comp under logworks/manuals/LC1

anyway you use LM programmer(not Logworks) with your computer hooked to the LC1, then there is a tab for update firmware

turbovanmanČ
04-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Its on page 13 of the manual, which should be automatically on your comp under logworks/manuals/LC1

anyway you use LM programmer(not Logworks) with your computer hooked to the LC1, then there is a tab for update firmware

Thanks, I didn't know that. :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
04-16-2010, 07:49 PM
The manual is too complicated for simon to read