PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 block for mock up

marc
04-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Hello guys, Can a 2.0 SOHC block and bed plate be used to mock up engine mounts and to modify A555 transmission to the block for a 2.4 DOHC engine swap? I ask this because I have a 2.0 block, bed plate, and crank already and it looks the same as a 2.4 from pix's

rbryant
04-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Hello guys, Can a 2.0 SOHC block and bed plate be used to mock up engine mounts and to modify A555 transmission to the block for a 2.4 DOHC engine swap? I ask this because I have a 2.0 block, bed plate, and crank already and it looks the same as a 2.4 from pix's

The bellhousing is the same pattern on the 2.0 and 2.4 so yes it can be used for mocking up the transmission.

The front mount connections are a little different though. I tried to bolt a 2.0 front mount to my SRT4 engine and there was a clearance issue on the 2.4 block. So hold off on doing anything with the front mount until you get a 2.4 block.

At risk of just trying to sell you something I made some transmission dust shield plates that can also be used for locating the new hole for the bellhousing. When I did mine I just dropped off the custom dust shield and the transmission at my welder's place so that I didn't have to deal with the block at all. He was able to add the extra boss just using the dust sheild.

The new boss shouldn't be used as your new dowel point because it is the least accurate point on the transmission. I recommend moving the front dowel to the front upper bellhousing hole although it isn't an absolutely necessary thing. I plan on running one dowel pin (I didn't think of moving it to the top hole until after everything was assembled).

-Rich

marc
04-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Thank you for the reply. I was going to make a bolt/dowel hole block for the transmission out of aluminum round stock, bolt the block, bed plate, crank and Trans together and then used a dial indicator for alignment. Then have the bell housing welded up.

I should have said in my posting to mock up left engine side motor mount only because I don't have any timing belt, timing belt cover, etc. so I would be unable to mock the front mount anyhow but glad to know the front is different.

I feel the biggest hurdle in doing the 2.4 DOHC swap is the transmission to engine fitting and 2nd is the left side mount. I think once I get pass those two things I would be on my way. The 2.0 short block I got for free so this was a way of getting started with this project with out jumping in with both two feet. Thank you, Marc