PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust leak

prepared
04-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Greetings

I recently resurrected an '87 T2. There is an exhaust leak somewhere around the turbo. I'm wondering if there is a common area for a leak - would it most likely be between the head and the manifold or between the manifold and the turbo. Or, could I just be hearing the exhaust donut leaking?

If I pull the head to repair I'll want to regasket and rebolt. Does anyone know the size of the bolts for the intake manifold -> head or the size of the studs for exh mani -> head? I'd like to round up the hardware before tear down and I can save money buying individual bolts locally.

On a stock '87 T2, the exh. donut is.... 2.5" ????

jory
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Start with the simplest fix and pull the downpipe off the turbo. It's likely that the donut is just crumbling. The 87 t2 has a 2.25" swingvalve and 2.25" downpipe. intake and exhaust bolts are M8 x 1.25

prepared
04-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Start with the simplest fix and pull the downpipe off the turbo. It's likely that the donut is just crumbling. The 87 t2 has a 2.25" swingvalve and 2.25" downpipe. intake and exhaust bolts are M8 x 1.25

Awesome!! Thanks for all the info I needed.

Do you happen to know the bolt length?

prepared
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
It isn't the exhaust donut. :( Guess I'll plan to pull the head and see if the manifold is warped or the turbo.

forcedfedmopar
04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
i take it you can hear it but not see it? if its large enough there should be a black sout (sp) around the area thats leaking. try running it alittle rich for a few miles and see if you can see anything.

prepared
04-13-2010, 05:31 AM
Yes, from underneath I can see a black sooty spot on the bottom of the intake. It would appear from that to be coming from between the exhaust manifold and turbo.

I can hear it, but it seems no one else can. Car has 3" out the back with Dynomax Bullet. I complain about the leak, but everyone tells me I'm crazy.