PDA

View Full Version : BOOM! goes the tranny. :(

Subliminal
04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
So, I'm driving to work and sitting at a red light. Light turns green and I push the go pedal.

BANG!

clang clang clang

I grind to a halt, losing what little momentum I built up with the aforementioned explosion.

Get out, mind you in the middle of an intersection in rush hour traffic, and there is red fluid dumping out of the tranny and pieces of metal on the ground.

Needless to say, it didn't look good.

Luckily, I was in the intersection in front of the cop shop, so 2 cops immediately came and redirected traffic, and $150 later the truck is sitting back in the driveway.

Also luckily I have the convertible, so I still made it to work, and can still finish the kitchen and then worry about the truck.

But another few thousand for a tranny was NOT on the agenda. :(

BadAssPerformance
04-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Ouch! :(

Also luckily I have the cabrio, so I still made it to work,

LOL :D

Subliminal
04-08-2010, 01:29 PM
JT,

You suck donkey balls sometimes.

BadAssPerformance
04-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Lol...

black86glhs
04-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Wait a minute. A cummins truck that shite a trans.....NO WAY!!!!
It sucks even more because it sounds like it took out the case.:(

Big_P
04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Shitty man, I tossed spider gears though the case of my 413, but I can only imagine what a core for a transmission like yours will cost :(

Sorry to hear it brotha'.

turbovanmanČ
04-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Bummer dude, :(

Look on the bright side, you can go pick up guys in your Wabbit, :nod:

TopDollar69
04-10-2010, 02:32 PM
It's just a standard 727 case isn't it?

Subliminal
04-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Well, it's really the tail housing that broke...which is a pretty popular part for converting 2wd trannies to 4wd.

However, I found a guy who has a known good Getrag 360 (manual) and all the fixins to convert mine (pedals, flywheel, clutch, crossmember, etc) he's willing to part with for $1400...so that's the route I'm going. I wanted a 5 speed in the first place, so I'm trying to stay positive about the whole thing. ;-)

Force Fed Mopar
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
For $1500 you can buy a rebuilt NV4500, too. Better trans than the Getrag.

"Top Fuel" Bender
04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Well, it's really the tail housing that broke...which is a pretty popular part for converting 2wd trannies to 4wd.

However, I found a guy who has a known good Getrag 360 (manual) and all the fixins to convert mine (pedals, flywheel, clutch, crossmember, etc) he's willing to part with for $1400...so that's the route I'm going. I wanted a 5 speed in the first place, so I'm trying to stay positive about the whole thing. ;-)

I'm looking for a transmission tailhousing, tailshaft, coupler and input shaft for a NP205 dodge transfer case
any of your stuff still good? know where to get the rest?

thanks

Subliminal
04-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Bender, I won't know until I have time to pull it out of the truck (currently about waist deep in a kitchen remodel).

FFMopar, there has been a lot of argument about the nv being better or worse. What it comes down to is I want something that will easily drop in, and the getrag is known to be a great tranny, if not beat on, when overfilled a little bit to make up for a lack of fluid issue.

black86glhs
04-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Bender, I won't know until I have time to pull it out of the truck (currently about waist deep in a kitchen remodel).

FFMopar, there has been a lot of argument about the nv being better or worse. What it comes down to is I want something that will easily drop in, and the getrag is known to be a great tranny, if not beat on, when overfilled a little bit to make up for a lack of fluid issue.

After you fix the 5th gear retaining nut, they are good to go. The 360 is also good. I say go with that.:thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
04-13-2010, 07:25 PM
The 4500 in my '93 has 250k+ on it now, still works great :) It is only behind a 5.2`though. I have seen 3 Getrags w/ burned up bearings.

Subliminal
04-19-2010, 08:35 AM
The 4500 in my '93 has 250k+ on it now, still works great :) It is only behind a 5.2`though. I have seen 3 Getrags w/ burned up bearings.

Apparently, from the factory, the Getrag doesn't have enough fluid in it and something gets burnt up. However, the new school of thought is to fill it up with an extra quart and they've been lasting some people a long time...with a lot of HP.

Force Fed Mopar
04-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Apparently, from the factory, the Getrag doesn't have enough fluid in it and something gets burnt up. However, the new school of thought is to fill it up with an extra quart and they've been lasting some people a long time...with a lot of HP.

Good info.

Subliminal
04-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, I tracked down a guy not too far from here with an 89 with a 5 speed in good running shape. I'm going to buy the whole truck, take what I need, sell what I can and then scrap the rest.

I guess I have to start researching the best way to sell a 1st gen cummins...someone's gotta want one! ;)

BadAssPerformance
04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Ahhh yes, the turbo-mopar way! Next thing you know your yard will be littered with Rams like Turbodave's yard is with Omnis :D

Subliminal
04-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Naw...my wife would chop off the ol' neuticals if I tried that. ;)

BadAssPerformance
04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Sounds like they are already in her purse? :confused2:

;)

Subliminal
04-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Well, let's see...we have the convertable in the garage, the equinox and my truck in the driveway, tonight I'm (hopefully) driving home a parts truck and tomorrow I bring home the boat. My driveway is already kind of tight to get in and out (that's what she said)...there's just really not much more room!

mcsvt
04-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Liar, you have a ton of room there :)

What's the condition of the parts truck? I'm guessing not the greatest if it's a parts truck... If it isn't rusted to hell, my interest may be peaked.

Subliminal
04-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, I'll have to let you know. I know it has a flatbed on it and that there is a rust hole in the floor and in one door. I know the brakes are all brand new, new springs, and the running gear all works, and that it's a dually with decent tires...but that's about it for now...should find out more this evening.