PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for bushings in PT Cruiser lower control arms?

Clay
04-06-2010, 02:08 PM
I need to replace the bushings in the front lower control arms of my PT Cruiser.

Are there any better than others? Mopar? Poly? etc

thanks,
clay

glhs727
04-06-2010, 02:33 PM
PT cruiser uses the same bushings as the Neon srt-4. I have used both the prothane kit and the energy suspension with excellent results, and we sell a lot of them. I wouldn't waste the money on the factory replacements, they are not poly and don't last long....
later,
Cindy

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2010, 02:46 PM
+2 on the Energy ones but I will warn you, they are f*cking PITA to install, you needs lots of patience. :mad:

contraption22
04-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I have the Prothane ones on my SRT-4 and like them alot. Not hard at all to install. The only "tough" part is burning the old rubber out. Easy as pie after that. Also, use more grease than they come with. I like to use "Green Grease". When you are done, get it aligned.

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I have the Prothane ones on my SRT-4 and like them alot. Not hard at all to install. The only "tough" part is burning the old rubber out. Easy as pie after that. Also, use more grease than they come with. I like to use "Green Grease". When you are done, get it aligned.

I love burning rubber, smokes out the other shops, hehehhe! :evil:

Do you have pic of the Prothane ones?

contraption22
04-07-2010, 12:42 AM
I love burning rubber, smokes out the other shops, hehehhe! :evil:

Do you have pic of the Prothane ones?

No. Mine are red if it helps :)

turbovanmanČ
04-07-2010, 12:45 AM
No. Mine are red if it helps :)

Hahha, the ones I use are Black, :p

Turbozcs2003
04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I would just get a pair of new control arms from Rock Auto, ie Moog. the bushings are better than the stock ones and you get a new balljoint(greasable) too.

I have my old arms and might recondition them and pop em in if I need to in the future but these have held up well.

DC Turismo
04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
I gotta change mine out before SDAC. The factory ones were already coming undone at 16k miles, so I'm definitely going Poly this time around. Cindy, I'll be in touch!

Sgt Craig
04-09-2010, 07:09 PM

With the prothane bushings do you have to keep the old bushing sleeve?I did a set of factory srt ones yesterday.The rubber came out very easily with a air hammer.To remove the sleeve I notched it with a air saw and it came right out with the air hammer.

Sgt Craig
04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I would just get a pair of new control arms from Rock Auto, ie Moog. the bushings are better than the stock ones and you get a new balljoint(greasable) too.

I have my old arms and might recondition them and pop em in if I need to in the future but these have held up well.

And takes less time.We almost always end up going that route at work.I believe the labor is less for whole arm replacement too.Id have to look it up to be sure.

Clay
04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Replaced them tonight. Took 3 hours to do it, including running to the store and pressing in a new ball joint on the passenger side. Ahhh the joys of having a lift available at a friends house. ;)

Now Ive read (and Mike said) to get an alignment afterwards, and I planned on it, but I have to ask what is there to align? There appears to be no adjustment on the knuckles??

Sgt Craig
04-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Replaced them tonight. Took 3 hours to do it, including running to the store and pressing in a new ball joint on the passenger side. Ahhh the joys of having a lift available at a friends house. ;)

Now Ive read (and Mike said) to get an alignment afterwards, and I planned on it, but I have to ask what is there to align? There appears to be no adjustment on the knuckles??

The toe will have changed.If your old bushings dropped out the new ones wont correct all of the toe.

Clay
04-10-2010, 07:40 AM
yeah I could see that. The old vertical (rear) bushings came out by hand. The horizontal (front) bushings had to be burned out.

thanks!
clay