PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 plaques update (long)

LaserXT1986
04-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Fellow members,

Unfortunately I was unable to produce a plaque that would be what I consider "perfect enough" to be used for a replica. Anyone that knows me knows that I have 2 ways -- perfect or not at all. My reputation is a big thing and I would rather be known for the few offerings I can do with perfection than a larger scale of items that are "passable".

The delay in this was 3 fold. First my father passed away in December. He was the previous owner of our business, and my partner since 1994, before I bought him out in 2007. His death was a shock and hit all of us here hard to say the least.

In February I found out my wife was pregnant with our first, and the pain of my dad's passing was slowly healed a little bit with this wonderful news. Shortly after that, my wife's sister, and cousin, both gave birth as well (same day), in early March. Only the cousin's was born too early and needed special care. While I was busy with family obligations, things were starting to look good, and I had posted on 3/22 that I would have an answer that weekend but unfortunately I had other family obligations that ate my time that weekend. The following weekend (weekend before last), my wife suffered a miscarriage, again taking a massive toll on us as we still tried to heal from my father's passing. Suffice to say everything car related was stopped.

Finally with all that against me I finished the first sets of prototypes last weekend. Despite all the equipment I have, I couldn't make these "perfect". Were they good? Perhaps (I am very very critical). Were they perfect to the original? No. Adding a layer of protection to the digital print (laminate) took away from the satin look of the original and made it glossy. Using a matte laminate made it harder to read the small text. Unfortunately these were originally screen printed, and there are some things that cannot be that way. For purposes of small batches (and customizing), however, it is not cost productive. I tried to take pictures but as others who have tried to take pictures (to show me), it is very hard to get a detailed picture due to light glare and how small the text is.

Then we have the costs. First, the cost of the Chemetal 909 Satin silver was increased in 2010 (I had based my $20 price in 2009). Also, it's now no longer stocked by my one local supplier, and requires a special charge to get in (to the tune of an extra $200 for crating/freight since it's a 4' x 8' sheet).

Then there is the tape on the back. The factory used 3M 467 MP adhesive, a micro-thin VHB (Very High Bond) adhesive with no "depth" to it. While I am familiar with this tape, I do not use/stock it (I use and stock about 16 other kinds of 3M Double sided tapes including VHB types). Take a look online folks...this stuff ain't cheap. 3M's site makes you buy a case of the 1" wide....$497.16 per case. My supplier who is a 3M dealer isn't much cheaper. Looking around online various ways to buy it cheaper by the foot or yard but it still is not cheap (in comparison to other 3M VHB tapes). But the main reason this tape was used is it can withstand up to 300 degrees. And you use more than just the size of the plaque, in order to have "full coverage" on the back, you need to go past the size of the plaque and "trim it" to the size of the plaque.

While these extra amounts are not huge when you figure how many little plaques can fit on a 4' x 8', or on a piece of tape "by the yard", it would be upfront charge I would have to pay before selling any of these (versus buyin on my net account). And in the end, it still wouldn't produce a perfect product.

So at this time, I am sad to say I am going to pass on these. When I have time I am going to try seeing how these will look on a newer 900dpi thermal printer (thermal printer does not use ink like a large format printer, and at 900 dpi can make very small decals with extremely crisp text). These printers are what magazine print shops use to make transparencies for printing. I have an older thermal printer, but mine is 300 dpi and I wouldn't even waste time trying that, over using my 54" wide inkjet printer. If the 900dpi thermal printer works, then I'll approach it at that time and report back.

Believe me, I want to offer this item but I will not offer it unless it is perfect. Anyone who has seen/bought my other items will attest, they are 100% perfect in every way to the original, period, no exceptions.

Sorry I couldn't supply better news on this product. Barry, if you are reading this, I will return the plaque you gave me at SDAC if that is ok.

Edit: Barry, by "SDAC" I meant this year's SDAC ;)

blk86trbo
04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Hey man sorry to hear about your Fathers passing and your child...thanks for everything you do and provide for our community!

sdac guy
04-06-2010, 02:22 PM
I also am saddened to hear of your personal losses Dave.

As for everything else, I understand and concur.

Barry