PDA

View Full Version : Finally Took The Plunge 1400SqFt of Space!

2.216VTurbo
04-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Too many projects around the house and more importantly too many good cars slipping away because i have no more space. The deal with the wifey is, nothing new comes home unless something leaves:( I am pretty well attached to the projects I have (anyone want a busted rampage cheap:D?) slo that really meant nothing else comes home. I have cars stashed at elderly neighbors houses (one is 93 and her husband used to store his boat where a couple TC Masi's now reside:)) and I tried to convince a local CaSDAC club member to convert his side yard into parking for 8-10 cars (and $$$ rental fees) but his stuupid arse wife shot the deal down:confused: (don't worry, he is too busy on laser/candlepower forums to read here). So I started searching for industrail space to keep some projects, some new projects, and maybe some stuff. I found a 20'X70' space with 2 10X10 offices, and hot/cold water bathroom (portable shower idea in the works, who wouldn't want to step up into a luxurious shower that drains into the crapper;)?)in Costa Mesa 2 miles from the water in Newport Beach. 20' wide means 3 L bodies will go side by side by side if we need to:) It's about 16 miles from my house but there is really nothing affordable like it nearer to me. I'm splitting it with my brother (the LeRampage builder) who can fab just about anything so shelving and racks etc are his domain. We signed papers and are moving in starting today. Now, where are all those cheap orphan TM's that need rescuing now that I have room:eyebrows:

EDIT: GRR! I'll upload pics tomorrow when the site is not crawling:(

j4278h
04-06-2010, 12:31 AM
I will be finding you enough td's to fill that space in a matter of weeks.

Super cheap deals i cali all the time

zin
04-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Got room for a few dozen nitrous tanks?:eyebrows: How much to rent that other office?

Mike

bakes
04-06-2010, 01:29 AM
If you put in 1 or 2 lifts you can store some more cars in there.

2.216VTurbo
04-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I never had much use for those little 'roll around' car dollies with four casters that the tires sit on, but I ordered 12 of em off Ebay last night to get me started:eyebrows: I talked to a guy that runs an airplane parts business that has two units, I asked him 'Does anyone live in here?' He said under his breath, "everybody does";) He said there is a guy that built a bedroom/bathroom/kitchen in the loft area above the offices by extending it out 6' or so that has a false wall, Direct TV-the works:thumb: Not that I need a place to live but it would be a nice crash out pad after a late night of wrenching and there are 4 or 5 good clubs nearby:partywoot:

Other office is a possibility, and if you're serious about storage :nx:call me on the phone today Mike. We'll wait on the lifts until it gets crowded Twisted, the place has 16' ceilings (thats 22400 total feet of storage space:D) so a lift or three would be no problem...

blk86trbo
04-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Sounds like a good deal, you can never have enough storage :thumb:

contraption22
04-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Living the dream, Alan. Awesome!

raccoon
04-06-2010, 10:45 AM
lol your building a tree fort, you know this right?

mcsvt
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Cool Alan, can't wait to see pics with it full of cars! I've considered the same thing around me since I only have a 1 car garage and a shortish driveway...

Dusty_Duster
04-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I think you people might end up on that "Hoarders" show. :confused:

Murphy
04-06-2010, 10:57 AM
lol I can just imagine that show walking into a garage so full of TD parts you can barely move

raccoon
04-06-2010, 10:58 AM
if hoarding TD parts is wrong i dont wanna be right.

turboshad
04-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Oh what I could do with a little shop like that. :nod: That's awsome Alan! Is that a heater up in the corner? I though you guys didn't need those. :confused2:

butchsuppe
04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Well now Ducan has a place to stay, paying rent by fabbing up sh!t.:D

omni_840
04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Very cool!

2.216VTurbo
04-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Starting to fill it up, two loads of parts/tool/spares etc. Met the neighbors and there are some characters!:D

At the end, it's a Marine Diesel engine shop, those guys were drinking Coors light by 3pm, and I owe a 30 pack because they let me use their 12' ladder.

Next to them, XLR Performance couldn't figure out how I knew the name but then I rembered a $99. 255lph fuel pump I bought off ebay a couple years ago. They make their own pumps and we got into a dicussion about impeller design and the differences between XLR and Walbro. He made a valid point that Walbro is noisey as heck and XLR's a quiet.

Next to them a place that makes custom jewlery, note to self, they are the neighbors that no one likes, they scowled at my kids just for riding the electric skateboard and being kids in the parking lot.

Next to them a custom stand up paddle board/paddle manufacturer.

Next one over is a woodworking shop in the back, an artist who paints in the middle of the unit, and a soundproof room where a heavy Metal style band practices and maybe records? a whole lot of equip in that room.

All in all a very friendly community of peeps that watch out for eachother. Good times ahead.

EDIT: Was looking at the pic, notice how the place swallows up the Rampage and makes it look small:D Even tho the Page is pushed 1/2 way into the shop with 25' behind it. Lots more room for smallish TM's:thumb:

BadAssPerformance
04-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Nice shop there Alan :thumb:

Mopar318
04-07-2010, 12:37 AM
That looks like a really nice place. Your area is so different from where I live. When we want a storage space/garage here we just get a permit and start building it in the back yard. Since land is cheap...between 1k-4k per acre around here is really no problem even if there is no space in the back yard.

GLHNSLHT2
04-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Oh what I could do with a little shop like that. :nod: That's awsome Alan! Is that a heater up in the corner? I though you guys didn't need those. :confused2:

Oh once you get aclimated a 50 degree night feels like it's 25 out. Especially with the moisture coming off the ocean.

Vigo
04-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Living the dream indeed. I have been talking to my T-M friends about the need for a building of my own the last few months.. but im nowhere close.

Glad to see you're doing it, though!!

BTW, got to work on and sit in a 400 original mile 16v masi TC... and now i want one:eyebrows:

supercrackerbox
04-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Now, where are all those cheap orphan TM's that need rescuing now that I have room:eyebrows:

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/1674054693.html

I posted pics of this a while back. Guy still has it, sounds like he's getting desperate . . .

2.216VTurbo
04-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Living the dream indeed. I have been talking to my T-M friends about the need for a building of my own the last few months.. but im nowhere close.

Glad to see you're doing it, though!!

BTW, got to work on and sit in a 400 original mile 16v masi TC... and now i want one:eyebrows:

Ah, the triple black 'museum car' eh?:hail: I had heard it was somewhere in TX. Are you at liberty to divulge any more details? Location, anything about the 'collection' it's in? I heard the guy has quite a few TM's...

2.216VTurbo
04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Looking at racks/shelving, man the stuff is expensive new:o Gonna have to wait for a Craigslist deal on some restraunt going out of business or the like. Moved a couple more cars in.

rosie
04-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Don't know about storage space but since you're printing money anyway you should just get the rack now. Those aren't too bad on CL.

Man it's hard to keep up with the Jones'

"Top Fuel" Bender
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Looking at racks/shelving, man the stuff is expensive new:o Gonna have to wait for a Craigslist deal on some restraunt going out of business or the like. Moved a couple more cars in.

Yeah, any good quality rack is going to cost you one way or another :p
I lucked out, the wife was equiped good from the factory :amen:
and I had a local plumbing supply company change all their storage systems around, got some really nice shelves for $10/unit, I filled my truck twice and sold a few sets to pay for all I kept for myself :thumb:

blk86trbo
04-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe AJ can hook you up with a free lift!

raccoon
04-08-2010, 12:27 PM
why dont you build some shelves?

risen
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM

My brothers and I have a shop somewhat similar to what you have there and we have old pallet racks for shelving units in back. You could consider driving around some industrial areas and see if there's some laying around unused and then tracking down the owner. We got one of our sets like that. Or a grocery store that's going out of business might also have the same sort of thing.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed in your decision to get a place. It's always nice to have a reason to get away from the house.

black86glhs
04-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey where are you growing the medicinal weed at? That room at the one end isn't big enough, is it???:p
You keep stuffing crap in there and you won't have any room for lifts or shelving....LOL!
Yes, I know the shelves would hold most of it, it was a joke.:D

raccoon
04-08-2010, 03:34 PM
oh its more then enough....

GLHNSLHT2
04-08-2010, 08:16 PM

I like my "gorilla" racks from Costco. Very strong and nice looking. $65 or so a piece but are modular. They're not called that anymore but they're the same racks and are all wrinkle black now.

NeonShowCar
04-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Wow Alan - looks like a great place to keep all the TC stuff you have. This way the wife gets her driveway back. ;)

2.216VTurbo
04-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I saw the 'pallet racks' on a couple of CL ads but didn't know what they were:confused2: Ideally, the racks will be at least 8' high, 10' would be better. Bro was talking about building a 'mezzanine' style catwalk around the edges of the shop, landloard is OK with just about anything but I just wanna maximise the floor space we have. If I obtain 3-4 more cars it's gonna get tight way to early:o

30 PSI SHADOW
04-08-2010, 11:59 PM
sweet! thats a shop i need!!

2.216VTurbo
04-09-2010, 12:43 AM
sweet! thats a shop i need!!

Rampages will fit 3 across with an 18" walkway. Want me to store yours Bill?:evil:

risen
04-09-2010, 09:12 AM
I saw the 'pallet racks' on a couple of CL ads but didn't know what they were:confused2: Ideally, the racks will be at least 8' high, 10' would be better. Bro was talking about building a 'mezzanine' style catwalk around the edges of the shop, landloard is OK with just about anything but I just wanna maximise the floor space we have. If I obtain 3-4 more cars it's gonna get tight way to early:o

I think the racks we have are somewhere around 15 and 20 feet high (one is shorter than the other). If that's too tall you can just cut the tops off with a bandsaw or grinder, depending on their construction. Also, the beams for the shelves are adjustable so you could raise them to walk under, we have our sand blast booth under one of them. I can get pics of what we have if you'd like, but time is going to be tight this weekend.

Mopar318
04-09-2010, 09:16 AM

If you ever come across my parts...my dad has 4-5 pallets of metal adjustable shelving from a old grocery store. He got them at a auction when he thought he was just getting one and bid like 10 bucks for them...then found out he had to take them all. He has been trying to get rid of them forever!

Turbo3Iroc
04-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I think the racks we have are somewhere around 15 and 20 feet high (one is shorter than the other). If that's too tall you can just cut the tops off with a bandsaw or grinder, depending on their construction. Also, the beams for the shelves are adjustable so you could raise them to walk under, we have our sand blast booth under one of them. I can get pics of what we have if you'd like, but time is going to be tight this weekend.

I thought of the shop you have as soon as Alan mentioned getting a storage spot.

Nice score Alan, I'm sure you'll put it to good use!

30 PSI SHADOW
04-09-2010, 10:38 AM
sure! in the fall. that way its ready for the shelby bash:D

tommyturbo
04-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Maybe we should just have meetings at Alan's new spot, although it would be a lot further drive for some of us.....

rosie
04-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Maybe we should just have meetings at Alan's new spot, although it would be a lot further drive for some of us.....

And for "some of us" it'd be a shorter drive!

I second Tommy's motion to have the meetings at Alan's club house! All in favor?
:D

tommyturbo
04-09-2010, 02:54 PM
never mind, I recall my nomination of new meeting place....I vote for John L instead.

2.216VTurbo
04-09-2010, 04:28 PM
We've already done the JohnL annual car show, wait, doesn't that mean there is another one coming this summer?:thumb: John??

Meetings at the shop for sure, first thing I though of actually. Need to get a BBQ and a few other things here first. BTW, I discovered you can see the ocean from the end of the block. I bet from the roof it's visble too. Ah, cool ocean breezez while wrenching:amen:

j4278h
04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
when are the pics of the newest tc going to arrive? I'm patiently waiting.

2.216VTurbo
04-10-2010, 09:54 AM
I ordered a new tow dolly from North Carolina to go with the new shop, I spent a couple hours of Inet research on them and these guys had the best story. When the dolly gets here by truck next week, I can go get the non-runner cars.:thumb:

http://www.towbartowdolly.com/

GLHNSLHT2
04-10-2010, 10:14 AM
you couldn't find a dolly on CL somewhere?

2.216VTurbo
04-10-2010, 10:16 AM
you couldn't find a dolly on CL somewhere?

Yep, lots and lots of them:D

GLHNSLHT2
04-10-2010, 10:18 AM
although that is a pretty neat dolly

ShelGame
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Nice Cobra. Yours? I designed several of the parts under the hood...

Shadow
04-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Too many projects around the house and more importantly too many good cars slipping away because i have no more space. The deal with the wifey is, nothing new comes home unless something leaves:( I am pretty well attached to the projects I have (anyone want a busted rampage cheap:D?) slo that really meant nothing else comes home. I have cars stashed at elderly neighbors houses (one is 93 and her husband used to store his boat where a couple TC Masi's now reside:)) and I tried to convince a local CaSDAC club member to convert his side yard into parking for 8-10 cars (and $$$ rental fees) but his stuupid arse wife shot the deal down:confused: (don't worry, he is too busy on laser/candlepower forums to read here). So I started searching for industrail space to keep some projects, some new projects, and maybe some stuff. I found a 20'X70' space with 2 10X10 offices, and hot/cold water bathroom (portable shower idea in the works, who wouldn't want to step up into a luxurious shower that drains into the crapper;)?)in Costa Mesa 2 miles from the water in Newport Beach. 20' wide means 3 L bodies will go side by side by side if we need to:) It's about 16 miles from my house but there is really nothing affordable like it nearer to me. I'm splitting it with my brother (the LeRampage builder) who can fab just about anything so shelving and racks etc are his domain. We signed papers and are moving in starting today. Now, where are all those cheap orphan TM's that need rescuing now that I have room:eyebrows:

EDIT: GRR! I'll upload pics tomorrow when the site is not crawling:(

Well I'm glad to see your getting things sorted out, cause I was looking at that third pic and thinking "Damn, three nice L-bodies stacked on top of one another side by each is going to make one hell of a mess!" :p

bakes
04-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Need to find a small electric folk lift and then you can start storing motors and trans on the upper level,

slasky
04-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Nice place. A little smaller than the WNY SDAC world headquarters but I am sure it will work nicely. :)

Mario
04-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I like my "gorilla" racks from Costco. Very strong and nice looking. $65 or so a piece but are modular. They're not called that anymore but they're the same racks and are all wrinkle black now.

+1. but I remember them being about $50. They hold like 2000lbs static on each shelf. I have a bunch of these. Great price. Great looks. and sturdy.

Nice place alan.

GLHNSLHT2
04-10-2010, 09:32 PM
yeah since they changed names/companies they went down in price which is nice. A buddy bought the extra heavy duty "gorilla rack" from costco and it's actually bowing in the middle where the regular rack isn't with the same amount of weight on them. So get the cheap one, they hold more weight in the real world.

2.216VTurbo
04-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Nice Cobra. Yours? I designed several of the parts under the hood...

That's my Bro 562WHP '04 that he has been tinkering with for 5 or so years. What kind of work did you do for SVT on them? I tell him about your involvement:thumb:

May have a hook up on some pallet racks, seems a place nearby is going out of business:thumb: Timing is everything:D

ShelGame
04-11-2010, 08:17 AM
That's my Bro 562WHP '04 that he has been tinkering with for 5 or so years. What kind of work did you do for SVT on them? I tell him about your involvement:thumb:

May have a hook up on some pallet racks, seems a place nearby is going out of business:thumb: Timing is everything:D

Actually, Roush designed the entire powertrain for that car and we did it in 18 months. SVT actually leased space from Roush for thier offices. Their suite was right next door to our suite.

Anyway, I designed the entire belt drive, front cover, and cooling systems (oil cooler, radiator, etc.).

I remember after the car started production, we built and experiment to see what kind of power it could make. I think we got just over 500whp out of with only an intake tube/airfilter, exhaust, lightning pulley, and a calibration.

DOHCRT
04-12-2010, 02:41 AM
What is that I see in the back of the Rampage? Could it be...a melted piston :p

Nice place Alan, what are you giving for it a month? I pay $140 for 400 sq ft...

Vic in Phoenix

92 Spirit R/T
89 CSX
88 CSX-TIII
87 CSX
87 Shelby Lancer (Parting Out)
84 Rampage TII
97 Ram Diesel
69 Dart GT 'Vert
73 Dart Sport (For Sale)

2.216VTurbo
04-15-2010, 12:56 AM
^ Those are AZ prices Vic. I wish man...

Zin found us a paper printing shop that was going out of business, these pallet racks wer aquired for less than the scrap metal price. Nice sturdy stuff. There are 13 rows of them in this warehouse, we only grabbed 1.5 rows and may go back for a bit more if needed:thumb:

black86glhs
04-15-2010, 01:22 AM
Nice score guys. That was the kind of shelving I was thinking about. Lookin good man.:thumb:

Keito
04-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Shouldn't have been hard to find some place going out of business.

risen
04-15-2010, 12:58 PM
^ Those are AZ prices Vic. I wish man...

Zin found us a paper printing shop that was going out of business, these pallet racks wer aquired for less than the scrap metal price. Nice sturdy stuff. There are 13 rows of them in this warehouse, we only grabbed 1.5 rows and may go back for a bit more if needed:thumb:

Nice. I'm not sure if the racks you have will work this way or not, uit we put the lower edge of the horzontial rails facing inward in the back and front. This gave around a 1" lip to drop a 2x8 into. So we sliced up like 40' of 2x8 and built the shelves out of that.

Nice score in either case. I have pics of our place, i'll try and post them tomorrow of I get a chance.

black86glhs
04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Shouldn't have been hard to find some place going out of business.

True...sad.....but true.:(

2.216VTurbo
04-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Did some work on the Red TC at the shop, installed some Shelby Daytona rear springs after cutting off 1/2 coil and put them with Johny's perches. Rides soooo much better, that floaty feeling has dissapeared (mostly, it's still a TC afterall;))

BTW, it's not easy finding rims for a TC, they can't be too plain, they can't be real aggressive, gotta be kinda 'classy'. So far 10 spoke are my favorite. These are Motegi (cast) 15X7 38 offset.

Mario
04-17-2010, 12:37 AM
The improved ride quality....are you contributing it more from the modified springs or the perches? .....just asking.

Turbo3Iroc
04-17-2010, 10:58 AM
The 10 spokes do look nice on it.

JamesL
04-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Too many projects around the house and more importantly too many good cars slipping away because i have no more space. The deal with the wifey is, nothing new comes home unless something leaves:(

So wifey knows you'll be spending a lot of time there right? ;)

Vigo
04-17-2010, 11:36 AM
I loved those Sumitomo tires when i had them. Car looks fantastic!

Badger
04-17-2010, 05:42 PM
I really like the wheels on that thing!!

2.216VTurbo
04-18-2010, 02:05 AM
The improved ride quality....are you contributing it more from the modified springs or the perches? .....just asking.

I put almost 200 miles on the car today and it really does ride nice with the new springs and isolators. One of the factory ones was warn/rusted all the way through so the spring wire was rubbing/resting on the perch itself. Maybe that could make the ride harsh? New tires prolly helped but hte old was only had 5K miles or so on them. Now it just needs more power-still totally stock:o

The day would have been perfect if the turbo coolant return line hadn't let go at 9:30 tonight 20 miles from home:mad:

rosie
04-18-2010, 11:06 AM
You put the tow companies kids through college.

j4278h
04-18-2010, 11:50 AM
You put the tow companies kids through college.

I was thinking the same thing. With all the detailed work and definately not cutting corners (like most td'ers) I think I see Alan on the trailer more than just about anyone else.

Maybe you should get a SOHC so you can have something reliable.:D

2.216VTurbo
04-18-2010, 12:34 PM
All towing has been free my frugal friends:p Well, actually the 208mile tow last month for the Rampage was 8 miles over my AAA plan so I had to pay $40. for that one. Guy was cool and wanted to let me slide cause we had a great time talking about all things cars during the ride, so I tipped him $45. I keep waiting for the AAA person on the phone to inform me that I have used up all my tows for the year but it hasn't happened yet:D

Jason, your SOHC turbo cars don't have coolant return lines:p?

bakes
04-18-2010, 12:38 PM
All towing has been free my frugal friends:p Well, actually the 208mile tow last month for the Rampage was 8 miles over my AAA plan so I had to pay $40. for that one. Guy was cool and wanted to let me slide cause we had a great time talking about all things cars during the ride, so I tipped him $45. I keep waiting for the AAA person on the phone to inform me that I have used up all my tows for the year but it hasn't happened yet:D

AH they just send you a bill!!! let's hope not!

Mopar318
04-18-2010, 01:18 PM

I have the same plan as you I assume the RV plan. You get 4 calls pers year. So make sure you dont use a call for gas, or when your locked out of your car.

rosie
04-18-2010, 01:49 PM

So you're actually stealing from the tow companies?:confused:

Mario
04-18-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm a regular with AAA as well with my turbo cars. lol My dad suggested I get it when I started driving, been using it ever since.....paid for itself many times.

Juggy
04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm a regular with AAA as well with my turbo cars. lol My dad suggested I get it when I started driving, been using it ever since.....paid for itself many times.

aawww comon dont you like pushing the r/t down woodward during the dream cruise :p

Mario
04-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Lol!!! That was priceless. I get it 100 feet short of the parking lot and it dies. Turned out to be a bad SBEC. Thanks again for the push!

ohlarikd
04-26-2010, 04:20 PM
I like the rims - the 10 spoke+ rims work on that car. But I would have gone to 16" - the tire is a tad too tall in my opinion.

I had a 1200 sqft shop once... I REALLY miss the space, so GREAT for you!

Derek

2.216VTurbo
04-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Before and after...

Vigo
04-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Looking good!

GLHNSLHT2
04-30-2010, 12:36 AM
what would really look nice is some 16" lace rims IMO

Badger
04-30-2010, 01:31 AM
I think it needs to sit a tad lower on those wheels....or maybe it hasnt settled yet?

2.216VTurbo
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
A little more progress, got some more pallet racks put up including the one that we chopped the ends of the runners off, then welded an 8' runner to a 10' runner to make a rack long enough to push the Rampage (or whatever car) under. Man, what a lot of work:o

JamesL
05-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Looking good...soon you'll be a full service shop! :thumb:..Now where to put the dyno. :eyebrows:

2.216VTurbo
09-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Wheeltronics 10,000 lb rated lift going in, no more laying on our backs to wrench, and more importantly, another parking spot for the new car;) Not so much new as a well preserved 23 year old car:eyebrows:

slasky
09-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Nice! I can't wait to get mine in my shop. I keep saving up for it but I keep having to spend it on other things.

omni_840
09-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Very cool:nod:

risen
09-04-2010, 10:06 PM
You guys opening a laundromat there too? :)

2.216VTurbo
09-05-2010, 02:06 AM
You guys opening a laundromat there too? :)

Clean towels (shop has a shower in the bathroom now:p) and rags=priceless:D

135sohc
09-05-2010, 02:09 AM
The great toybox only getting better.

Juggy
09-05-2010, 11:55 AM

brand new font loaders for the garage??? damn must be nice to have money lol

risen
09-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Ahh, good idea. We usually wait till someone takes the towels home and asks their wife to wash them. Having a shower is a huge +. I think the guy next door to us has a shower, but he was living there for a while.

black86glhs
09-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I think he is setting it up for when the wife gets mad at him. He can spend days there and not be miserable. Unlike when the rest of us have to sleep in the car....doghouse....unheated garage....back deck....etc.:clap::eyebrows:;)

Austrian Dodge
09-06-2010, 05:55 AM
nice. you just need a closet and a bed and can start living there :)

omni_840
09-06-2010, 12:58 PM
nice. you just need a closet and a bed and can start living there :)

Looks like there's already a bed in the loft:nod:

2.216VTurbo
09-07-2010, 02:03 AM
^Uh, yeah, that went in first week. The shop is like staggering distance to Newport Beach and the best clubs in OC. Don't think I haven't slept off a drunk or three there:partywoot: That 1/2 mile walk can be pretty tough tho, gonna cab it next time:lol:

TopDollar69
09-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I think I know what heaven looks like now.

johnl
09-26-2010, 11:10 PM
How in ho*y h*ll did I miss this thread?

Da*n nice job Alan. Great minds think alike.

I want a tow dolly too and looks like you found the best one on earth. How's it workin?

As for a toy box, as you know, we (as in my wife Jan and I) want to move out of LA County and I've been on a "find a hanger" or buy a lot and put up a steel building campaign . . .

We're lookin at Ventura County.

What direction is real estate going in the OC?

Anyway congrats on the shop.

GLHSHELBY
10-24-2010, 11:46 PM
very nice. Those tow dollys are nice. One of my friends works at the place that builds them.

2.216VTurbo
10-25-2010, 01:47 PM
very nice. Those tow dollys are nice. One of my friends works at the place that builds them.

I hope he wasnt the guy that 'forgot' to put left side brake pads in my dolly. I didn't notice and after my first 800+ mile trip to fetch a car, the rotor(which is integral with the hub) was F'n trashed from caliper/piston on rotor:mad:

black86glhs
10-27-2010, 12:55 AM
I hope he wasnt the guy that 'forgot' to put left side brake pads in my dolly. I didn't notice and after my first 800+ mile trip to fetch a car, the rotor(which is integral with the hub) was F'n trashed from caliper/piston on rotor:mad:

Just wanted to see how long it would take for you to notice...lol.

2.216VTurbo
12-23-2010, 10:09 PM
About time for some new pics and updates, it's been a while.

Good news is there is almost 200SqFt of additional shop space now:) To defray costs I was renting out some space, didn't work out to well, rent was paid late, then for last few months, not at all:mad: So deadbeat renter is out now and I can use the space, probably for another car:thumb: A couple more cars have found me in the last few months so I should update the pics soon anyway.

168glhs1986
01-13-2011, 08:04 PM
To defray costs I was renting out some space, didn't work out to well, rent was paid late, then for last few months, not at all:mad: So deadbeat renter is out now

That's no way to treat your brother

DodgeZ
01-13-2011, 08:11 PM
(anyone want a busted rampage cheap:D?)

really?

2.216VTurbo
01-13-2011, 08:41 PM
really? Too late now, its almost fixed:p However if the worlds heaviest Rampage doesn't dip into the 11's next month at Mopars At the Strip it may be for sale again;)

30 PSI SHADOW
01-23-2011, 12:31 AM
worlds heaviest? come on alan, you have other cars to be luxury..... strip it!!! race it! be bold,be crazy, be fast,......LIKE ME!

2.216VTurbo
01-23-2011, 03:12 AM
worlds heaviest? come on alan, you have other cars to be luxury..... strip it!!! race it! be bold,be crazy, be fast,......LIKE ME!

11's like you William this year at Mopars at the Strip in April.:eyebrows: Still, 11's in your first trip to the drags is:hail: You musta been lucky or had a he ll of a crew chief;)

30 PSI SHADOW
01-23-2011, 11:44 AM
or cheerleader! LOL! naw, i can drive any forkin thing around!

2.216VTurbo
05-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Hard to believe its been 3 years since I posted anything new about the shop. It's been a great place to wrench for me and my Bro:thumb: The big open space is gone now tho-it's full:o Slow at work this week and since Rrider asked about it, I brought the thread back from the deadpile.

Hmm, I thought I had taken more pics INSIDE the shop but I searched back a few pages and didn't find much so I just grabbed some old pics that I liked and had forgotten about. That's the great thing about uploading to TM.com rather than photosuckit where they will be moved/removed after time:D

85boostbox
05-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Is that a real gnx or a clone. Either way one of my favorite cars of all time.

168glhs1986
05-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Nice pics. I never got the opportunity to meet Carroll.

rx2mazda
05-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Nice pics. I never got the opportunity to meet Carroll.

What?! I saw you a couple months ago! :evil:

supercrackerbox
05-09-2014, 04:34 AM
That's right, I forgot you had the GN. I never make it over to the Turbo Buick board anymore since the GLHS got moved back in front of my Buick (and now the Charger got bumped in front of the GLHS).

2.216VTurbo
12-27-2014, 02:03 AM
Not sure when it happened but it surprised me:wow1: The other night I stopped by the shop to pick up a couple things and I noticed all the cars are red?? WTF?

black86glhs
12-27-2014, 02:15 AM
Not sure when it happened but it surprised me:wow1: The other night I stopped by the shop to pick up a couple things and I noticed all the cars are red?? WTF?You mean all the Chrysler crap is red......lol.

BadAssPerformance
12-27-2014, 04:47 PM
Not sure when it happened but it surprised me:wow1: The other night I stopped by the shop to pick up a couple things and I noticed all the cars are red?? WTF?

LOL.. looks like the collection is doing well!

CoolV300C
12-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Nice. What's the story with the red GLH?

Turbo224
12-28-2014, 04:20 AM
Nice. What's the story with the red GLH?

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Details?

2.216VTurbo
12-28-2014, 11:39 AM
My Brother that I share the shop with does repairs/upgrades on friends/customer's cars. It's Todge2's car. It's pretty well prepped for track duty. He doesn't post here much but the car has made appearances and should be pics/details available from threads about Team Shelby events as well as south of the border races that Forza competes in. Todge is campaigning a classic 911 racecar now and the lil red Omni gets less attention. I'm sure he could be talked out of it if someone here was looking for a roadrace/autocross track/street car with the emphasis on track. PM me if serious and I'll reach out to him.

168glhs1986
12-29-2014, 01:28 PM
That's a lot of HP ! Is the GTP yours / Steve's or someone elses?

2.216VTurbo
12-31-2014, 05:14 PM
Yep, Forza's. My bro was fixing the windows which were not very cooperative:rolleyes:

todge.2
01-02-2015, 08:59 PM
I'm around here every now and then.....

Its an '85 GLH-T that was purchased after Forza told me to buy it. After a few late nights of wrenching, and some serious help from Boyd, Alan, Brandon, etc it was ready to go for the La Carrera Classic down in good 'ol Mexico. Some might remember it as the B-team car in the Sport Compact Car article. About 12 miles into the 50 mile race, I realized that we suffered from a not big enough cooling system. One of the best weekends of my life! Motor blown, we brought it back and put in a new 2.2 ish with some "upgrades". The full setup from Johnny, Dyno-tuned, roll cage, MOMO ----pit, DOT racers, Super 60 setup this thing hauls. Been to two Team Shelby birthday parties before I burned that bridge for us TDr's. A few Porsche club track days where I was approached and told my GTI handled its own. These truly are really fun cars, honestly I just haven't had a lot of time to drive it with work, and needing to find a "reputable" smog shop so that I could register it ;) I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow, as I'll be on vacation for a bit, and Alan's been buggin to get it out of his shop. Is it for sale? everything is for sale lol

.http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52593&stc=1http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52594&stc=1
And just like Alan's garage, I just hijacked this thread

85boostbox
01-02-2015, 09:42 PM
I'm intrigued to know why you ruined for us Tders?

CoolV300C
01-02-2015, 11:13 PM
this, and sweet car!

2.216VTurbo
01-03-2015, 01:44 AM

Amy Bolyn the then president of Shelby Auto American yells out to the Team Shelby Crowd. "alright, who's driving the little red car??!!":p

todge.2
01-03-2015, 03:52 AM
this, and sweet car!

Thanks! Appreciated!

Here's the cliff's notes version......
Shelby birthday bash a few years ago. Basically, we met at the old Shelby American plant, and then caravan'd to Vegas. Apparently we were supposed to be in groups and not pass a designated pace car, at 80 mph. Well, if anyone has ever made that drive from L.A. to Vegas, you know how I-15 can be, at 80 mph, you're gonna get run over. After about the 10th time of nearly rear ending a 100k shelby mustang with the ridiculous accordion action going on (There were about 130 cars), I moved out of the caravan line and just cruised at 80-85. I approached what was later determined to be the pace vehicle (designated as such with overhead amber flashing lights), and looked over, and with a questionable look as if "Is it ok to pass?" The pace driver did not acknowledge either way, and I continued on at 85 mph. About 30 mph down the road, CHP pulled every one of us over......Now here's where my story and Amy BoyMans story differ. She was told that CHP stopped us because we were all racing, including the red #60 Dodge (Me). I asked the CHP Officer that pulled us over, and he told me it was because there was a guy with overhead flashing amber lights (The pace driver). Nevertheless, I was singled out as the cause of 130 Shelby cars being stopped that day, pulled in front of the group and chastised by a 5'2 190lb sheman, named Amy. Team Shelby membership was cancelled at that point, and will not ever be renewed. Unfortunately, I was lumped in with the rest of the Dodge boys on that trip, all 3 or 4 of us, and we were pretty much black listed at that point. I'm sure Alan will have more to add to that story.

GLHS60
01-03-2015, 05:25 AM
That sure is a good story!!

Thanks
Randy

86Shelby
01-03-2015, 10:18 PM
The red cars in the shop look great, Alan. Nice to see the one car that's supposed to be black hasn't turned red yet, even with the peer pressure.

2.216VTurbo
04-14-2016, 11:04 AM
After spending the last two weeks fixing the driveline carnage I created from racing during Mopars at the Strip, the Rampage RT is back up and running better (and lighter) than ever. After fixing the output stub shaft on the trans that the broken U joint/axle took out, I finally converted to un-equal length axles (can't figure out why I didn't do this years ago??) and manual steering. I ended up dropping the K frame out twice and having to make a splined shaft that turns the rack from parts from the exiting PS rack and the incoming manual rack. All in all I was under, over, or around the RRT for about 25 hours. Over the last few weeks It rained twice, and got hot enough inland (where my house is) that I turned on the AC in the house. Meanwhile since the shop is in Costa Mesa a short walk from the beach it stays much cooler there when it's hot in the rest of the OC. I stayed cool and dry and the fridge kept the beers cold:cool:. I guess theme of this post is not so much the work done to the RRT but the shopspace that made it possible:thumb:

minigts
04-14-2016, 11:47 AM
I've been driving my GLHS with manual steering for a few months and really don't mind it. Seems the car is light enough that only when in a stationary position is it tough to turn, but not bad. What rack did you use, manual Omni? And why did you have to extend it? Is that a limitation with a PS column vs. manual column? I'm looking into how I can fit the electric PS motor from a Saturn Ion as I've seen done on some other cars, but not on ours.

83scamp
04-14-2016, 03:13 PM
I've been driving my GLHS with manual steering for a few months and really don't mind it. Seems the car is light enough that only when in a stationary position is it tough to turn, but not bad. What rack did you use, manual Omni? And why did you have to extend it? Is that a limitation with a PS column vs. manual column? I'm looking into how I can fit the electric PS motor from a Saturn Ion as I've seen done on some other cars, but not on ours.

Jon,

Not sure if your a member over on TD, but a guy did a write-up on putting the Ion electric steering in a Shadow Lemons car. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f69/949698-how-swap-6g75-reckless-abandonment.html You will have to sort through the thread, I think it's on about page 5...

Maybe that will give you some ideas?

2.216VTurbo
04-14-2016, 11:19 PM

Yes Omni manual steering, I think the part number actually spec'd out 82-84 for whatever reason. I didn't really extend it, I had to use the splined yoke that was on the RRT because it was much larger than the manual rack splined shaft. Did you find a yoke from the MS donor car? Also, the RRT has tilt steering, the whole column is from a spirit RT so maybe that was part of the mismatch. But when I converted the red GLHS (like 15 years ago so parts were plentiful)I had to change Yokes to the MS one.

minigts
04-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Jon,

Not sure if your a member over on TD, but a guy did a write-up on putting the Ion electric steering in a Shadow Lemons car. http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f69/949698-how-swap-6g75-reckless-abandonment.html You will have to sort through the thread, I think it's on about page 5...

Maybe that will give you some ideas?

It helps. I have my blue car still and can work on that as a test to make it work. I think getting it tucked under the dash is the harder part. One guy did it and used a potentiometer to manage the firmness, but I guess tying it into the speedo sensor is a way to try it. I don't know if I want to mess with that or just make it adjustable manually. I REALLY would like to get away from the PS pump though. Leaks and the custom header and the fact that an electric power assist option is out there makes me want to get it to work.