PDA

View Full Version : 92 Magnum318

83Shelby
04-05-2010, 09:51 PM
The original water pump on my 92 D-150 has finally worked itself loose,my question is that it has a 5 blade fan/clutch and I have a spare 98 318 Magnum motor,complete,but it has a 9 blade fan/clutch.Using this 98 won't throw anything off balance,etc. on my 92 will it?

neongary
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Nope, perfectly fine to use. A little overkill with the cooling, but that's OK!
Curious though, why not just re-use the fan/clutch from the '92?

83Shelby
04-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Well it kinda feels loose and I just changed the pump on my R/T Durango and the nut that holds the fan/clutch on is a beeatch to get off!

JDAWG
04-05-2010, 11:42 PM
in the shop I have seen most chrysler techs use an air chisel with a flat hammer thing on the corner of the nut and it pops right loose, but there is a tool kinda like a spanner wrench kind of deal to take it off

BadAssPerformance
04-06-2010, 06:39 AM
You can also use a long square shaft pry bar against two of the bolt heads (the 4 that hold the fan to the pulley) and then get a bigazz wrench or even crescent wrench on th efan nut with a 3' pipe on it :D

Mopar318
04-06-2010, 09:32 AM
None of that is really necessary. All it needs is a shock to come off. Crescent wrench on the nut, and hit it with a hammer. It will pop right off. I have done 4-5 like this and they all came off doing this.

I suggest not using the big heavy metal fan..when you start making some power with these the clutch likes to break off from the nut and sending it flying through your radiator, and into the hood!:(

Turbo3Iroc
04-06-2010, 11:26 AM
You can also use a long square shaft pry bar against two of the bolt heads (the 4 that hold the fan to the pulley) and then get a bigazz wrench or even crescent wrench on th efan nut with a 3' pipe on it :D

Yeah that's about what I did. I didnt have a crescent that big so I got a wrench. I think the nut is 1-3/8 if I recall.

Captain Chaos
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
None of that is really necessary. All it needs is a shock to come off. Crescent wrench on the nut, and hit it with a hammer. It will pop right off. I have done 4-5 like this and they all came off doing this.

I suggest not using the big heavy metal fan..when you start making some power with these the clutch likes to break off from the nut and sending it flying through your radiator, and into the hood!:(

+3:D:thumb:

Mopar318
04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
+3:D:thumb:

Did it happen to you too?

Cost me a new radiator, radiator hose, serpentine belt, idler pully, and waterpump. Plus the cost of the E-fan.

Captain Chaos
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Did it happen to you too?

Cost me a new radiator, radiator hose, serpentine belt, idler pully, and waterpump. Plus the cost of the E-fan.

No.
1) BAG II needed a new fan clutch
2) BAG II got new pump and timing chain
3) Neighbors Durango W/P came apart
4) Removed fan from my Durango and ran just the e-fan.

So actually four times.:thumb:

83Shelby
04-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Well,this unit is stock,but good knowledge in the future if I decide to beef her up and go paint a no passing zone on the road!