PDA

View Full Version : A555 hybrid with OBX? Or just have TU do it?

Shadowjake
04-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I am rebuilding my 89 CSX and have the stock A555 that came with it. I also have an OBX LSD that I bought back when I had my shadow (A523). I was researching how to get the OBX into the A555 and realize I would need to swap the main gear shaft and use a different ring gear. I see there is also a lot of other details to worry about (fixing the OBX deficiencies, setting preloads, pressing the carrier bearings, etc.) and it beginning to really intimidate me.

I have no problem rebuilding the engine but don't know the first thing about the magic that happens inside the transmission. I see TU offers to rebuild the tranny (replacing all wear parts), fix the OBX, swap the shaft/ring gear, and install for about $800 plus shipping. Should I go this route and know it is done right? Or am I just being a big chicken? Has anyone had experience with TU's rebuilds?

As much $$$ and work I am puting into the CSX, I am afraid to screw something up but if it is something I can do fairly easily with your guys' help I could put that cash somewhere else in the car. Please give your 2 cents.

You guys really are the best community of enthusiests I've ever seen :hail:

Jake

Shadowjake
04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Bottom line, I want to make the CSX as nice as possible. If I decide to do it myself, what is a fair price for the intermediate shaft and ring gear and how hard is it to get the dif in there without having trouble down the road?

Shadowjake
04-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Anyone? What would you do in my situation?

BadAssPerformance
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
What would I do? I'd do it myself, but I've had a couple apart before... Do you have a FSM with the trans info in it? That might be the best place to start to see if you're up for the task and have enough tools.

Shadowjake
04-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I have an 89 FSM (just got it from Cindy last week) and have read the KC articles on this and this post (which are helpful):

Building a hybrid transaxle (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35301)

I don't have a snap ring pliar or dial guage but I can get those. What makes me nervous is the preloading and shimming parts. I don't really understand this aspect of it but I suppose the FSM will explain it better and I can pop the cover off the A555 and glance in there to orient myself. Can you buy the shims at the local parts store or dealer?

I'll have to track down the 89 A520 parts too. Are these fairly common/available? How much should I expect to pay for the shaft and ring gear?

Jake

turbovanmanČ
04-06-2010, 05:35 PM
5 speeds can be easy to screw up, if your unsure, pay someone to do it.

ShelbyMopar
04-06-2010, 06:07 PM
I have an 89 FSM (just got it from Cindy last week) and have read the KC articles on this and this post (which are helpful):

Building a hybrid transaxle (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35301)

I don't have a snap ring pliar or dial guage but I can get those. What makes me nervous is the preloading and shimming parts. I don't really understand this aspect of it but I suppose the FSM will explain it better and I can pop the cover off the A555 and glance in there to orient myself. Can you buy the shims at the local parts store or dealer?

I'll have to track down the 89 A520 parts too. Are these fairly common/available? How much should I expect to pay for the shaft and ring gear?

Jake

The preload on the new OBX diff is the biggest thing you have to worry about. I believe mine was set around 0.065".

The transmissions themselves are not that hard to rebuild, make sure you take pictures of EVERYTHING. And remember exactly how it came out. Take a good look at the shift rods/forks when you are removing them, and make sure you remember how each gear goes on the mainshaft.

"Specialty" Tools that you will need, or that I needed anyway:

Snap ring pliers
Bearing press (had a 17.5 ton one at brothers work :nod: )
Slide hammer (the bearing in the case on the end of the mainshaft is easy to get out with this)
Good bearing splitter
Good bearing puller, one with small teeth
Good punch set

If you are reusing synchro's, be VERY careful not hit them on anything. And definitely do not pry against them to try and remove bearings from the main shaft, this is where the bearing splitter and a good press will come in handy.

butchsuppe
04-08-2010, 01:56 AM
Bottom line, I want to make the CSX as nice as possible. If I decide to do it myself, what is a fair price for the intermediate shaft and ring gear and how hard is it to get the dif in there without having trouble down the road?

I used to sell those gear sets for $150. but their getting hard to find now. To remove a diff with trans in the car you need to drop the K member.

Shadowjake
04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I already have the transmission out since I'm rebuilding the engine and cleaning everything up. I ended up ordering a tranny rebuild from TU. Still waiting on the final cost but so far it looks like it will be:

$500 - Tranny rebuild
$200 - A520 Gearset
$130 - Crome Molley Plate
$ 75 - OBX fixes
$ 50 - Drain plug install
$ 75 - shipping

$1030 total

I got the tranny all degreased, drained and ready to ship yesterday. See more here:

1989 CSX #68 rebuild (http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=646652#post646652)

shackwrrr
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM
http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=153_173&products_id=346

do they have any units left? If so then why not just buy the right diff and put it in. You could re-sell the obx and recoup some money.

Nemesismachine
04-08-2010, 11:20 AM
IIRC Forward motion still sellf the rebuild kit. That's where I got mine for my 520/555 quaife hybrid transmission...

I had it professionally rebuilt though, then I added the trans plate and quaife afterwards.

Shadowjake
04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=153_173&products_id=346

do they have any units left? If so then why not just buy the right diff and put it in. You could re-sell the obx and recoup some money.

If they do have anymore in stock, I'm surprised Chris didn't mention it (but he was busy when I talked to him). Would it be better to go with what I had planned? Or go with the quaife?

Roughly I figure if I went the quaife route, it would be:

1170 + shipping
-300ish for the OBX?
+100ish (I'm guessing) to get the Quaife installed/preloaded
+130 for molley Plate
1100 total (rough guess)

Does this seem about right? What would you guys do? The tranny ran strong when it was removed so the rebuild probably isn't neccessary. I was doing it because I thought I had to swap the A520 internals in anyway.

Please advise.

Jake

shackwrrr
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I think it depends on if you want to change the final drive. If you do then the hybrid would be a good choice.but If you are fine with the gear ratios now then I would go with Quaife since they are a better build. I think the biggest choice is weather or not you want it rebuilt though.

BadAssPerformance
04-08-2010, 09:42 PM
They made 3.85:1 FDR A520's too

Shadowjake
04-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I actually never noticed anything bad about the original final drive. Is the only difference that it doesn't rev really high in 5th? I am a tranny novice. Another benefit to keeping the original gear set is that years down the road, I could convert it back to the original differential if I decided to. After all, I am keeping all the other original parts for that reason.

BadAssPerformance
04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
The 3.50:1 swap into an A555 makes for reaaaaaallly loooooong gears. meaning... With taller tires, you can do 100mph in 3rd. Whcih also means that 5th doesnt rev as high on the highway (better fuel economy) and 1st is more useable on the dragstrip. I like it... some dont as you have to rev each gear out a little so it doesnt drop too far into the next gear...

BTW, where in WI are you located again?

Shadowjake
04-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm from Eau Claire JT. About 1 1/2 hours from the cities or 4.5 hours from Chicago (at turbo dodge speed) :)

BadAssPerformance
04-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Gotcha... a few SDAC'ers / T-M'ers out that way :thumb:

Shadowjake
04-08-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't know of any local guys but if any of them want to help me restore this shelby, I welcome the assistance ;)

Shadowjake
04-15-2010, 08:56 AM
The tranny will be on it's way to TU this week. I am sending it packed into a rubbermaid garbage can on wheels :) My girlfriend works at Fedex so shipping will be about half off which is awesome. I'll post what the street cost would have been when I know incase anyone else is curious about shipping theirs. . .

Jake

slasky
04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
I have a transmission guy currently putting my obx in my 555 for me. I just do not feel comfortable taking a transmission apart.

Nemesismachine
04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Whats to take apart? It's like 12 bolts and the diff goes right there. Maybe an OBX is different though. The quaife bolts right in.

slasky
04-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Whats to take apart? It's like 12 bolts and the diff goes right there. Maybe an OBX is different though. The quaife bolts right in.
OBX does not fit in a 555 so you have to use a 520 ring gear and main shaft.

Shadowjake
04-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Transmission and OBX were shipped in a 42 gallon rubbermaid rolling trash can. With all the packing it weighed 126 pounds and dimensions were 36x24x21. Without my girlfriends Fedex discount, it would have been $110.17 with $2,000 insurance from Wisconsin to Arizona. I got it for half price.

Incase it helps others. . .

Jake