PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Quaife unit (2005 SRT-4)

Dave
04-03-2010, 10:37 PM
My buddy at work and I are going to be swapping trannies in his 2005 SRT-4. The spare trans. does not come with the carrier unit so we need to swap this in from the old trans into the new trans.

I've never worked on a skittle very much in depth, nor did any trans. work.

Is this a simple drop in being held in by the bearing retainers on the outer flanges of the case like the early TMs (523/555/568's)?

How much work is involved in swapping the output gear so we keep the same gearset mesh?

Thanks for any help, guys.

-Bryan

BadAssPerformance
04-04-2010, 12:14 AM
IIR the T850 uses a fixture to hold everything in place during disassembly?

If you have never done trans work before... might be a bit of a challenge. If you're up for the challenge get a FSM for it

BLUEBALL
04-04-2010, 12:46 AM
The 850 diff setup is pretty much same as the old stuff. No need to swap output provided you have correct ring gear. SRTs had only 1 gear ratio,so shouldnt be a prob. Use the old one if needed. May or may not need to shim diff bearing. Start with shims that were in old trans to start. Fixture shown in factory manual not really necesary. I occasionally use one comin apart and not when pullin guts in/out while trans still in car. Theyre actually pretty easy to work on.

Dave
04-04-2010, 06:58 PM
The 850 diff setup is pretty much same as the old stuff. No need to swap output provided you have correct ring gear. SRTs had only 1 gear ratio,so shouldnt be a prob. Use the old one if needed. May or may not need to shim diff bearing. Start with shims that were in old trans to start. Fixture shown in factory manual not really necesary. I occasionally use one comin apart and not when pullin guts in/out while trans still in car. Theyre actually pretty easy to work on.

I'm concerned about proper gear wear. That's why I think its best to swap pinion and ring gear. The new trans is nit coming with the carrier or ring gear.

So you don't need the fixture? Is it just used to spread the case?

BLUEBALL
04-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Well swap shaft if it makes ya feel better but shouldnt be an issue if setup correctly. Theres a fixture that you use to set the gearsets on. Just so you can position forks/rods onto gearset easier that you can do without. Also a tool that bolts to end of both shafts to remove together as a unit. You can also do without or make one out of straight piece of metal. I made one out of a VW nerfbar FWIW. Main special tools that make life easier are for removing and installing gears/sync/bearings to shafts. Which sounds like what your gonna need. No spreading of case needed whatsoever.

jl93sundance
04-05-2010, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=BLUEBALL;645118] SRTs had only 1 gear ratio,so shouldnt be a prob. /QUOTE]

Kinda off topic, but I thought 03's had a different final drive?

contraption22
04-06-2010, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=BLUEBALL;645118] SRTs had only 1 gear ratio,so shouldnt be a prob. /QUOTE]

Kinda off topic, but I thought 03's had a different final drive?

Same ratios, but the '03's had an open diff.

BLUEBALL
04-10-2010, 10:52 AM
[quote=jl93sundance;645881]

Same ratios, but the '03's had an open diff.

Exactly. :thumb: