PDA

View Full Version : Removing the carpet..

Twisted Noodle
04-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Has anyone ever used the spray in bed liner stuff for sound deadening? I am removing the carpet to give it a good wash down and thought about using some type of spray in sound deadening material. I think it will also help seal up the interior of the SL. Since I work at Lowes I think I can find some stuff pretty "cheap".. :eyebrows:

Wanted to get your opinions and experiences..

Twisted Noodle
04-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Really no one?

boost geek
04-04-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm too scared to peel my carpet back for what I might find. Sounds like a good option though...

135sohc
04-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a bad idea. its messy to apply, heavy, doesnt dampen the sound as well as dynamat/knockoff versions and semi permanent. So if you ever had to do any welding on the floor pan... yeah its gonna be nasty :(

JDAWG
04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
go to the roofing section and get some of this for your floors
http://www.spycor.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PNS00-2T.jpg

4cefedomni
04-05-2010, 04:51 AM
We just did it to my brothers car the other day. It wasn't bedliner though it was rubberized rocker guard in the spray cans. It took us about 5 cans to get a good thick coat over his entire floor. It doesn't deaden the sound quite as much as the fatmat I put in my truck, but the carpet also has sound deadener on the bottom of it so I doubt I will be able to tell the difference between the two.
Today we installed his new carpet and started running wires for his gauges. I'll see if I can get him to post up some pics of his progress.

trbowgn
04-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Twisted, I have no experience with the spray on bed liner as sound deadner. But I have been told to never shampoo a molded carpet outside the car as you might mess up some of the molds.
This was from an old timer at one of my dads dealerships that taught me how to detail used cars when I was a kid and i have always followed his advice on this kind of stuff.

Mopar318
04-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Twisted, I have no experience with the spray on bed liner as sound deadner. But I have been told to never shampoo a molded carpet outside the car as you might mess up some of the molds.
This was from an old timer at one of my dads dealerships that taught me how to detail used cars when I was a kid and i have always followed his advice on this kind of stuff.

Not true at all. There is usually a rubber or plastic backing that is molded and it wont lose its shape...heck you should see the boxes they come in. At the old shop I wored at we would shampoo them all the time with no problems.

89FerrariShelby
04-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I used the Dynomat sheets, but after the fact a guy i know who owns a car stereo shop swears by the spray on stuff. i don't know if it's light, but it's definetly light-er than the sheet stuff. And It works amazing.

trbowgn
04-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Not true at all. There is usually a rubber or plastic backing that is molded and it wont lose its shape...heck you should see the boxes they come in. At the old shop I wored at we would shampoo them all the time with no problems.

thanks, Like i said it was from an old guy and I was just always afraid to try it. But judging by your experience I think I will change my practice

NeonShowCar
04-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Check into this product: http://www.raamaudio.com/ It is cheaper then dynamat and in personal experience better. I've used this product when I had my neon show car to sound deaden the whole car for the stereo system I installed. Can buy this product in 1/2 roll or whole rolls, email the owner (Rick) as he will help you out. Rick will also do group buys if approached.

contraption22
04-05-2010, 11:24 AM
I removed the carpet in my Horizon and used roll-on bed liner. Turned out pretty good. I knew I could never get the car water tight again, so I simply created an environment where water would no longer damage the floor, and simply drains out through strategically placed drain holes.

Mopar318
04-05-2010, 11:26 AM
thanks, Like i said it was from an old guy and I was just always afraid to try it. But judging by your experience I think I will change my practice

On older cars the carpet isnt really molded so He may be talking about them. The carpet is steamed and stretched to fit to countours of the floor. Multiple pieces are used as well. This is still the Luxury, and most european cars use this method. Gives a much nicer flooring with no thin spots and a plush feel.

But if we are talking a factory molded carpet with backing you will be just fine.

Twisted Noodle
04-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your input so far.

JohnnyIroc
04-05-2010, 04:40 PM
go to the roofing section and get some of this for your floors
http://www.spycor.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PNS00-2T.jpg

use this!!
im going to once i find a clean carpet to get for my car
you can get it at Lowes

54inches is the one who recommended me to it

phase827
04-05-2010, 05:19 PM
i used bedliner in my 90 shadow for the rear hatch/ spare tire area turned out great but i used a 2 part bedliner its the closest to the pro stuff you can get not as nice looking the pro's spray it on heated up. i still get high driving to work off the smell anyways it will protect it from rusting. i will do the rest of the floor when i put carpet back in it.

JDAWG
04-05-2010, 11:47 PM
if you really want get sound deadener then http://www.secondskinaudio.com/ is the way to go, other wise I would just get peel n seal for the floors. For the doors and ceiling I would get actual sound deadener though.

ShelbyZD
04-14-2010, 08:56 PM
use this!!
im going to once i find a clean carpet to get for my car
you can get it at Lowes

54inches is the one who recommended me to it

What is that? Tar paper or something?

JohnnyIroc
04-14-2010, 10:15 PM
What is that? Tar paper or something?

no its insulation for windows it has a silver back just like dinamat