PDA

View Full Version : 2.2/2.5 Neon swap.

TURBO?
04-01-2010, 01:58 AM
This is just something I was thinking about for shits and giggles because it seems like it would almost drop in seeing as the k cars are very similar to the neon engine bay. I have searched but come up with almost nothing, and I was just wondering if anyone hear knows of this swap being done or any insight to the swap.

turbovanmanČ
04-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Don't even think of doing it, total nightmare.

http://www.ndperformance.com/

TURBO?
04-01-2010, 06:06 AM
I see...that link didnt explain the swap very well at all. So its really that difficult? Even more so then a 2.0/2.4 swap into a k car?

contraption22
04-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I see...that link didnt explain the swap very well at all. So its really that difficult? Even more so then a 2.0/2.4 swap into a k car?

Its much harder than a 2.4 swap into a K-Car, because a good number have people on this site have done that swap and are willing to share their experience and knowlege.

turbovanmanČ
04-01-2010, 01:58 PM

Did you read the car build? 4 exerienced guys with 100's of hours and you want more info? ;)

thedon809
04-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Don't even think of doing it, total nightmare.

http://www.ndperformance.com/That's because he blew up a few motors. It seems like it just takes a couple mounts, megasquirt possibly and other odds and ends. Probably easier if you keep it auto too.

Pat
04-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Mounts, clearancing anywhere necessary, hook ups for assorted cables and hoses, driveline piece compatability and electronics. It's the same as swapping any motor into a non corresponding car.

Aries_Turbo
04-01-2010, 05:10 PM
i wont be a really hard swap mechanically, you can use a 523 or 568 manual trans or a 413 automatic and keep the appropriate neon shifter setup as they are pretty close to being the same.

if you have emissions in your area where they plug onto the OBD-II port to scan for CEL's, then it would get ALOT hairier unless you use a 95 neon.

one thing i thought would be awesome would be to use a 568 trans with a 2.4L and use the caravan AWD in a neon. i doesnt look like you could use the neon trans with the AWD transfercase but you can use a 568. it would be a little work to fab up the rear suspension and find knuckles that mate to the neon rear struts (or proper equivalent) and tie into the rear suspension and accept the caravan axles. that would be a stellar swap. :)

brian

rbryant
04-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I love the 2.2/2.5 but in all honesty it is an inferior engine to the 2.0/2.4 engines.

This swap would be for novelty over function.

-Rich

Sgt Craig
04-01-2010, 07:29 PM
i wont be a really hard swap mechanically, you can use a 523 or 568 manual trans or a 413 automatic and keep the appropriate neon shifter setup as they are pretty close to being the same.

if you have emissions in your area where they plug onto the OBD-II port to scan for CEL's, then it would get ALOT hairier unless you use a 95 neon.

one thing i thought would be awesome would be to use a 568 trans with a 2.4L and use the caravan AWD in a neon. i doesnt look like you could use the neon trans with the AWD transfercase but you can use a 568. it would be a little work to fab up the rear suspension and find knuckles that mate to the neon rear struts (or proper equivalent) and tie into the rear suspension and accept the caravan axles. that would be a stellar swap. :)

brian

Friends of mine in WA built a AWD neon,NYG car too using a Impreza drivetrain and Subbie motor.Pretty slick car.Ill find some pics.

Sgt Craig
04-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Friends of mine in WA built a AWD neon,NYG car too using a Impreza drivetrain and Subbie motor.Pretty slick car.Ill find some pics.

Here's a link to the pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/m.laverty/Neopreza#

glhs399
04-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I've seen the car in person and it worked quite well!

Aries_Turbo
04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
that is cool and all but id want to keep it all mopar.

brian

rich tideswell
04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I love the 2.2/2.5 but in all honesty it is an inferior engine to the 2.0/2.4 engines.
-Rich

agreed, if you want a 2.2l single cam Neon, just bore the cylinders.

Sgt Craig
04-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I've seen the car in person and it worked quite well!

When I visited a few years ago it just had the drivetrain in it.

TopDollar69
04-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I've also seen a WRX drivetrain swapped into a J body Lebaron coupe.

Sgt Craig
04-03-2010, 10:25 PM
I've also seen a WRX drivetrain swapped into a J body Lebaron coupe.

That would be sweet to see!

Vigo
04-05-2010, 12:07 PM

This swap would be for novelty over function.

^^ x10000000000000

The neon engine is simply better. The 2.2/2.5 is an awkwardly large engine to stuff into that engine bay, and for all your trouble you'll end up with something thats WAAAY slower than a turbo neon motor.

shadow88
04-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Well, assuming you have a fast turbo dodge car that was recently rear ended and a guy down the street selling a cheap gen 1 neon that happens to need an engine.....I wouldn't hesitate.

I've been part of the turbo neon thing and although it's fun and quick, price-wise it's not too far off a built up 2.2L turbo. If you're handy with the swap part of it.

Also, if you have a high HP turbo 2L DOHC neon you're probably on your 3rd or 4th manual transmission and you already figured out the 850 trans isn't even close to a bolt in. I was considering this swap. What could be better than automatically losing 400 pounds and gaining independant suspension with an engine swap?

Aries_Turbo
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
yeah if you are treating the neon as a replacement body for your shadow, then its a great swap. :)

Brian

Vigo
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
When i had to pick between keeping my modded sohc 4 dr neon sport sedan and keeping and t2/5spd swapping my spirit, i decided to ditch the neon and do a bunch of upgrades to the spirit..

The spirit as a lightly modded t2/5spd car at 11 psi is not ANY faster than the lightly modded sohc neon. It also handles worse and gets worse mileage. It does seem to be more comfortable and safer, though.

Anyway, i just think its a silly swap. Ive got silly swap ideas of my own so im not saying its the stupidest thing ive ever heard.. but i agree the only time it really even makes sense is if you already have a nicely modified 2.2/2.5 that needs a body and arent going to be spending money to build one.. because if you have to spend money youd be better off just spending it on the neon motor.

Gun_Runner
09-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I just got interested in this idea too, contrary to popular belief, the 2.2 is smaller than the 2.0. and i think with the info that out there now and the many more resources that we have now, i think it could be done fairly easy. they did it in the late 90's if im not mistaken

Gun_Runner
09-04-2010, 07:29 PM
one more thing, it is way easier to tune a 2.2, with the 2.0 you either need Mega Squirt or a bunch of piggy back stuff, plus the 2.2 has a far stronger bottom end. and hey... why not just put a neon head 2.2 hybrid in it

rbryant
09-04-2010, 07:40 PM
one more thing, it is way easier to tune a 2.2, with the 2.0 you either need Mega Squirt or a bunch of piggy back stuff, plus the 2.2 has a far stronger bottom end. and hey... why not just put a neon head 2.2 hybrid in it

The 2.2 has better rods and turbo pistons but that is about the only thing that is stronger about it than the 2.0. I think the 2.0 block is probably stronger in stock form because it uses a bedplate for the crank instead of main caps.

I am not sure your statement about the 2.2 being easier to tune is true either. Putting a 2.2 hybrid with a 2.0 head won't make it any easier to tune than the 2.0.

What electronics would you want to run and what induction would you run?

If you run a turbo then you have either SRT4 or 2.2/2.5 electronics as the only real stock electronics that can deal with it. If you run 2.0 electronics then you still have some piggyback solution required.

The 2.0l can produce good power it just has to rev higher than the 2.0l and needs stronger rods and pistons. The SRT4 engine is the easier swap because it solves those issues and bolt in motor mounts are available.

-Rich

rbryant
09-04-2010, 07:42 PM
I just got interested in this idea too, contrary to popular belief, the 2.2 is smaller than the 2.0. and i think with the info that out there now and the many more resources that we have now, i think it could be done fairly easy. they did it in the late 90's if im not mistaken

It was done in the late 90s but they put a lot of work into it. They also used a Lotus engine. An 8V 2.2/2.5 turbo is a lot of work for what is possibly a downgrade. It is definitely a downgrade compared to a built 2.0/2.4.

The 2.2 would be different but unless you want it for the novelty (understandable) it isn't really worth it in a pure performance or monetary analysis.

-Rich

Gun_Runner
09-04-2010, 09:05 PM
i plan on using the stock computer setup from a 2.2 that will be socketed and setup with an ostrich. as far as the bedplate being stronger, my dad's omni (mock_glh) is upwards of 375hp and he has never seen a rod or crank break, and never had a main cap failure, so im not worried about that, and i dont really plan on making any more than 350hp because then the car becomes less street friendly. I have the king of cheap speed on my side, so i would dare to say that we could probably do a 300hp swap in with a 2.5 for under $1000

Gun_Runner
09-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey dude, i totally hijacked your thread, if you want ill start up a new one

Gun_Runner
09-04-2010, 09:42 PM
The 2.2 would be different but unless you want it for the novelty (understandable) it isn't really worth it in a pure performance or monetary analysis.

-Rich

if you read closely, he also made a lot of mods and added a lot of unnecessary things that undoubtedly added time to the build. he put all that turbo IV stuff on there that was not necessary.

As far as the monetary aspect of the build, just talked to the King and he said we could probably do it for a couple hundred dollars, unless i want a quaife or forged pistons, all items that cost the same no matter what you get them for.

who here wouldnt want a reliable 300hp car with the awesome suspension of a Neon ACR.

would be a beautiful DD and a lot more serviceable, especially with the vast amount of spare parts we have.

i dont think you realize we are trying to move away from the neon's computer system. components to tune that are vastly more expensive that what it takes to tune a 2.2 especially since we already have an ostrich and a zaitronics wide band. all i would need to do is buy a harness plug $20-$30 and we are set to fully tune the motor.