PDA

View Full Version : Almost finished (head)

glhs875
12-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Here's some pictures to drool over. I lack a little more exhaust work. I'll probably feed this beast with an SC6152 turbo. My GLHS will be far from stock for the next race season. We are going to fly!!

Dave
12-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Good lickin (oops lookin') head you get thur'! :p

What's all done to it aside from a killer port job?

2.216VTurbo
12-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Looks good. You are using a header right???? The exhaust is opened up too far for a stock manifold ported or otherwise to seal it. You probably know this but for folks reading along who may not, each 'downstream' componant should be a teeny bit larger than the one before it. Porting will actually cost you power if there is a prominant ridge left where two pieces join if it is on the downstream side of the airflow. It causes the wrong kind of turbulence (for V.E. and power) and reversion where airflow is fast enough. The same principal applies as soon as the air begins to move even as far 'forward' as the air inlet for the turbo. The effect is much less pronounced in the 'lower velocity' areas like the intake tract.

More pics as you move along:thumb:

Alan

glhs875
12-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Good lickin (oops lookin') head you get thur'! :p

What's all done to it aside from a killer port job?

Well it's got the 44mm & 36.8mm Manley valves along with the oversize seats. And also the 061 MP springs along with a Taft S3 cam and adjustable pulley. I plan on trying out the new Comp cams beehive springs made for the LS1 for the soon. It will be mated to a highly ported 2 piece intake,and a TU ceramic coated header for now.

glhs875
12-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Looks good. You are using a header right???? The exhaust is opened up too far for a stock manifold ported or otherwise to seal it. You probably know this but for folks reading along who may not, each 'downstream' componant should be a teeny bit larger than the one before it. Porting will actually cost you power if there is a prominant ridge left where two pieces join if it is on the downstream side of the airflow. It causes the wrong kind of turbulence (for V.E. and power) and reversion where airflow is fast enough. The same principal applies as soon as the air begins to move even as far 'forward' as the air inlet for the turbo. The effect is much less pronounced in the 'lower velocity' areas like the intake tract.

More pics as you move along:thumb:

Alan

Yes, Iam using a TU ceramic coated header, and it will have a slightly larger opening than the head ports to cut down on reversion. Although, I was running this head on my Daytona (8.22 @ 93mph on Dot's-traction limited and with staged boost to 26psi -2850# car), but I have done some more tuning work to it before I use it on the GLHS. Anyway, a highly ported stock exhaust manifold will still work,that's what I had on the Daytona.

JuXsA
12-29-2005, 12:54 PM
what have you done to the bowl area? Thats looking pretty nuts.

glhs875
12-29-2005, 03:33 PM
what have you done to the bowl area? Thats looking pretty nuts.

Some V8 porting technology going on there. The idea is to make the area area around the guide and valve stem teardrop shaped to help increase flow in that area.

glhs875
12-29-2005, 04:09 PM
What Iam showing in these pictures is the huge bubble that is under the injector. I feel this has to be causing some turbulance that will disrupt some flow and take away some of the tuning effect from the intake. I would like to fill this area in, and then redrill the hole for the fuel spray. Any ideas other than welding?

beavis1313
12-29-2005, 04:51 PM
I know that some high performance machine shops use some type of fuel resistant epoxy to help smooth and reshape intakes .

glhs875
12-29-2005, 04:55 PM
I know that some high performance machine shops use some type of fuel resistant epoxy to help smooth and reshape intakes .

I thinking along those lines. Do you know what it's called.

My96z
12-30-2005, 01:01 AM
Thats purdy! Those Manley valves you got there, are they undercut? Got a part number for them? I have been looking for some undercut valves and havent been so lucky. That is a G head correct?

Jeff

glhs875
12-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Thats purdy! Those Manley valves you got there, are they undercut? Got a part number for them? I have been looking for some undercut valves and havent been so lucky. That is a G head correct?

Jeff

The intake valves are undercut but not the exhaust which are tulip. They are from Mopar performance. I bought the valves and seats back in 1986 or 87 and originally ran this head on my 84 Daytona turbo. Yes, it's a 445 casting G head.

87csx2.4
12-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Looking good brian cant wait to see what it runs,Im especially interested to see what an 8 valve will do with that turbo and an automatic.

glhs875
12-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Looking good brian cant wait to see what it runs,Im especially interested to see what an 8 valve will do with that turbo and an automatic.

Yea, it's going to be very interesting,and very expensive! The turbo, header,& wastegate is going to be $1700+!:yuck: Don't tell my wife! Ah,it's only money, I can make more anytime, as soon as the last batch I made runs out.:thumb:

glhs875
12-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Kevin,one of your pictures doesn't show up on your posts.

turbovanmanČ
12-30-2005, 02:42 PM
I ground that lip down, I saw The Pope mentioned it and if you look, it looks like the injector spray could hit it so grind away I did.

John B
12-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Double cross-drilled G head. Nice!

glhs875
12-31-2005, 08:51 AM
I ground that lip down, I saw The Pope mentioned it and if you look, it looks like the injector spray could hit it so grind away I did.

That would probably help a little. But I think totally filling in the bubble and then reworking the runner would be much better.

boost geek
01-01-2006, 02:17 AM
The beauty of digital cameras. The beauty of a ported turbo dodge head...
Sorry, it's New Years, poured my rye a little strong...
Cut valve guides... your nads are somewhat larger than mine....:faint:

glhs875
01-01-2006, 10:26 AM
The beauty of digital cameras. The beauty of a ported turbo dodge head...
Sorry, it's New Years, poured my rye a little strong...
Cut valve guides... your nads are somewhat larger than mine....:faint:

The intake guides were cut only a little, the exhaust guides were cut more. But then the exhaust guides were longer than the intake to start with.

2.216VTurbo
01-02-2006, 02:34 AM
One little thing you might consider that I always do is where the oil feeds into the head it is just a crude machined divot next to the feed hole. I lay an old head gasket on there trace it, and then enlarge the feed to that size in the process cutting off the 'corners' that are left by the crude machining. Then go back and smooth/radius the feed hole itslf by blending it into the feed 'divot'. IMO it makes the pathway for the oil a bit less restricted. It won't overfeed the head because you still have the restrictor in the block. Does it help? Probably not, but it always make me feel better:eyebrows:

Alan

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2006, 04:06 PM
^^^^^ Excellent idea. Some of us, like me, spend time porting the oil pump hole and I didn't even see that, doh!

johnl
01-11-2006, 07:10 PM
What Iam showing in these pictures is the huge bubble that is under the injector. I feel this has to be causing some turbulance that will disrupt some flow and take away some of the tuning effect from the intake. I would like to fill this area in, and then redrill the hole for the fuel spray. Any ideas other than welding?

It seems like everyone, including me, has removed the bolt bumps at the bottom of the intake manifold.

I share your concern about the affect on flow of the injector cavity that is above the bolt bumps and I've wondered if, as the air comes down intake passage, it is compressed by the bolt bumps at the bottom, just as it is being de-compressed by the injector cavity above? Maybe leave the bumps alone to balance/keep the port area, at that point in the port, constant?

On the other hand, maybe de-compression is not necessarily a bad thing at that point of the port where the injector nozzles are? That is, the de-compression of the incoming air, at the point where the injectors are adding fuel to the incoming air could help atomize/make gaseous the fuel. All of this is happening, of course, in a port that is boosted, so talking about de-compression may be loony.

So, to repeat my heresy, maybe, to optimize both air velocity and fuel atomization through the entirety of the injector hollow/bolt bump area, we should leave the bolt bumps alone? Or, cut the bolt bumps and fill the hollow? Wish I had a flow bench. Wish I had a flow bench that would flow at 30 PSI.

glhs875
01-11-2006, 11:36 PM
It seems like everyone, including me, has removed the bolt bumps at the bottom of the intake manifold.

I share your concern about the affect on flow of the injector cavity that is above the bolt bumps and I've wondered if, as the air comes down intake passage, it is compressed by the bolt bumps at the bottom, just as it is being de-compressed by the injector cavity above? Maybe leave the bumps alone to balance/keep the port area, at that point in the port, constant?

On the other hand, maybe de-compression is not necessarily a bad thing at that point of the port where the injector nozzles are? That is, the de-compression of the incoming air, at the point where the injectors are adding fuel to the incoming air could help atomize/make gaseous the fuel. All of this is happening, of course, in a port that is boosted, so talking about de-compression may be loony.

Well, Iam filling the bubbles in, porting out the bumps at the bolt holes, and also getting the bottom of the runners welded up so I can make the openings in the intake as large as the ports on my head. And eventually I plan to make a custom plenum for the 2 piece intake. Iam shooting for over 400WHP with an 8V, so I need to find any improvement I can.

glhs875
02-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Here's a couple of pictures of SC61 turbo with a the 4" S cover, and of the 4" swingvalve downpipe that I made and will be using. I still have the final mockup of the downpipe in the Charger left to do.

johnl
02-07-2006, 07:39 PM

JB weld is often used for intake ports but it CAN fall out. From the outside, you might drill and tap and screw a number of machine screws into the area where you are going to put the epoxy so that it has something mechanical to tie into. After it has cured, then cut/die grind both the epoxy and the screws to your liking.

I completely agree about the injector cavities. Can't be good for flow. You have to wonder if Mopar designer(s) figured that the bolt bumps below are an offsetting/balancing volume that we defeat by cutting out the bolt bumps. The original design, if this speculation is correct, would maintain overall velocity in that area. On the other had, turbulence and a sudden increase in volume (i.e., relative vacuum) at the moment/spot where the injectors are releasing fuel could enhance atomization/gasification and the cooling effect of fuel.

glhs875
02-07-2006, 11:18 PM
JB weld is often used for intake ports but it CAN fall out. From the outside, you might drill and tap and screw a number of machine screws into the area where you are going to put the epoxy so that it has something mechanical to tie into. After it has cured, then cut/die grind both the epoxy and the screws to your liking.

I completely agree about the injector cavities. Can't be good for flow. You have to wonder if Mopar designer(s) figured that the bolt bumps below are an offsetting/balancing volume that we defeat by cutting out the bolt bumps. The original design, if this speculation is correct, would maintain overall velocity in that area. On the other had, turbulence and a sudden increase in volume (i.e., relative vacuum) at the moment/spot where the injectors are releasing fuel could enhance atomization/gasification and the cooling effect of fuel.

I've got some of the actual epoxy used to recountour ports with. That's what I will be using on the intake.

glhs875
03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
As requested, here's an update on the progress. And some pictures of part of the exhaust (4" downpipe) on the Charger. It's dark in there with the black thermal barrier coating. I will try and get a better shot when I get the exhaust finished.

8valves
03-02-2006, 09:02 PM
What's the rig on the wastegate actuator? That's the first internally gated SC61 I've seen as well. Looks weird to me! :p

Aaron Miller

turbovanmanČ
03-02-2006, 09:18 PM
What's the rig on the wastegate actuator? That's the first internally gated SC61 I've seen as well. Looks weird to me! :p

Aaron Miller

Looks like something to stop the wastegate from moving? Can you say max boost, :thumb:

glhs875
03-02-2006, 09:51 PM

Aaron Miller

That's an external wastegate adjusment that I made. Just loosen the locknut, turn bolt, which in turn tightens up a spring, and wala, more BOOST!!

8valves
03-03-2006, 12:34 AM
That's an external wastegate adjusment that I made. Just loosen the locknut, turn bolt, which in turn tightens up a spring, and wala, more BOOST!!

Ahhh! I missed the spring the first time! Neat setup for sure, very ingenuitive as usual.

Aaron Miller

87csx2.4
03-03-2006, 12:50 PM
I cant wait to ride in that sucker its gonna be a mean machine.:thumb:

GLHS592
03-03-2006, 01:46 PM
When are you gonna SDS that thing? I can't wait to see what that turbo will do.

glhs875
03-03-2006, 03:19 PM
When are you gonna SDS that thing? I can't wait to see what that turbo will do.

Soon, I have to get over the blow of all this other crap I bought for the car this time! But we will be finding out pretty much what it will do before the SDS. I've got a progressive alky kit to provide the extra fuel I will be needing. The only thing that could hold me back is no way to adjust timing. But then again, the alcohol should help with detonation problems above 20psi also.

GLHS592
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
What kind of alky kit? We need to schedule a day to meet and mess with our cars at Kevin's. :)

glhs875
03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
What kind of alky kit? We need to schedule a day to meet and mess with our cars at Kevin's. :)

It's an SMC. I going to Kevin's tomorrow.

glhs875
03-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Maybe this will eliminate one cork! The ported lower intake has been welded and then opened up to match the ports on my head. Not quite finished with the intake, but I have put many, many hours into it. It better work good!

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Maybe this will eliminate one cork! The ported lower intake has been welded and then opened up to match the ports on my head. Not quite finished with the intake, but I have put many, many hours into it. It better work good!

Wow, dude, looks good, :thumb:

glhs875
03-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Wow, dude, looks good, :thumb:

The area on the ports are now as large as a 16V intake or at least very close. But facing up & down instead of side to side. and I felt they needed to be large, as the the intake valve is 1.73". I didn't think a stock sized port could support that size of a valve properly. I still have to finish my upper. I plan to build a custom upper in the future. All this junk I've built and modified will be getting assembled real soon hopefully.

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2006, 01:44 PM
The area on the ports are now as large as a 16V intake or at least very close. But facing up & down instead of side to side. and I felt they needed to be large, as the the intake valve is 1.73". I didn't think a stock sized port could support that size of a valve properly. I still have to finish my upper. I plan to build a custom upper in the future. All this junk I've built and modified will be getting assembled real soon hopefully.

I hear you, the time and energy we spend, :(

But its all worth it when we spank some high priced rice or higher end car, :thumb: