PDA

View Full Version : Shadow 2 dr rear windows-functional ever?

4 l-bodies
03-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Okay, I'm sort of primarily a l-body guy but have had quite a few TD cars over the years. Just purchased a 2 dr. Shadow. I was looking at the parts catalog for a 89 2 dr Shadow. It shows an illustrated view of what appears to be a latch for the rear 2 dr. quarter windows? Did they ever make a latch on any of the 2 door Shadows so the rear windows could be pivoted outward? It seems that Chrysler went to a lot of trouble to make a flexible pivot on the front, and a rubber weatherstrip for the rear window. If anyone has removed the rear screw the window does pivot outward.
Seems like if they were never intended to open they would have just sealed them up permanently like on the 2 dr Chargers. Anyone seen a latch for the rear windows on any year Shadow?
Todd

GLHNSLHT2
04-01-2010, 12:09 AM
would a minivan rear window latch work?

cordes
04-01-2010, 12:37 AM
I have never seen one that opens. I have heard of guys using caravan type latches to get them open, but haven't seen that either.

2.216VTurbo
04-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Fer chissake Todd, whatcha gonna do with a P-body?:D

supercrackerbox
04-01-2010, 02:15 AM
I saw a write-up on the conversion years ago, although I don't remember where. But basically you swap the factory latch for a functional one from a minivan or an extended cab Dakota, and that's about it.

4 l-bodies
04-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Fer chissake Todd, whatcha gonna do with a P-body?:D
Alan,
Perhaps a home for a masi motor:? Imagine, getting to keep A/C and actually having room to work in the engine bay.:p What a concept:thumb:
Todd

4 l-bodies
04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
I saw a write-up on the conversion years ago, although I don't remember where. But basically you swap the factory latch for a functional one from a minivan or an extended cab Dakota, and that's about it.
Thanks, I'll look into it and report back my findings. Every now and then, I see stuff in the parts manuals and brochures that never appeared to make production. This seems to be another one.
Todd

raccoon
04-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I did it to my 88
i have pictures somewhere ill try to find. the angle on the minivan latch I used didnt have the right angles to function right, but it could world and very well.

Dusty_Duster
04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I did it to my 88
i have pictures somewhere ill try to find. the angle on the minivan latch I used didnt have the right angles to function right, but it could world and very well.

How much fabrication was involved, and what vehicle did you get the latches from?

raccoon
04-01-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16090&highlight=windows

CDNTurboZ
05-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I wonder if you could adapt the mechanism from a Merkur XR4ti, as it has windows that open that way as well...

BadAssPerformance
05-01-2010, 10:04 AM
or a Pinto or a Silverado or ... lots of options.

Wow, blast from teh past, i rememebr your original thread racoon.. pics of the install would be cool!

raccoon
05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
yea i can only find that one, and progress stopped when i put my car back together sadly. its a whole lot of work to be able to get to the windows.

shackwrrr
05-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I was thinking about dragging this one up for pics but I guess not. Ive been thinking of doing the same thing since the air in the shadow gets so stale because its a 2 door. I also want to get a sunroof

4 l-bodies
05-01-2010, 02:22 PM
I was thinking about dragging this one up for pics but I guess not. Ive been thinking of doing the same thing since the air in the shadow gets so stale because its a 2 door. I also want to get a sunroof
Unless your Shadow came with a sunroof, that's one mod I wouldn't do. Tough to undo if you ever want to. Aftermarket sunroofs are so... eighties.:p
I know of a lot of nice cars that got aftermarket sunroofs installed, then cost the owners dearly years later when they came to their senses. IMO, make the windows functional, but keep the roof in one piece. I pulled some window vents hinges out of a couple different year minivans, just haven't got around to installing them yet.
Todd

shackwrrr
05-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Unless your Shadow came with a sunroof, that's one mod I wouldn't do. Tough to undo if you ever want to. Aftermarket sunroofs are so... eighties.:p
I know of a lot of nice cars that got aftermarket sunroofs installed, then cost the owners dearly years later when they came to their senses. IMO, make the windows functional, but keep the roof in one piece. I pulled some window vents hinges out of a couple different year minivans, just haven't got around to installing them yet.
Todd

My suzuki sidekick had an aftermarket electric sunroof and I really liked it. Buying a new sunroof from a well established company will greatly reduce the headache down the road. The newer ones are really nice and not as leak prone as the "eighties" models.

clocktowersniper
05-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I never suggest any aftermarket roofs. As far as the P Body quarter glasses ever working from the factory, The answer is no. Why they did this, I dont know, I guess they had their reasons. They CAN easily be converted to work as 90% of the work is done already. All you need is a set of hinges from say a Chevy Express Van or Econoline with pop out windows in back. You could even get the hinges off a Chevy truck pop out quarter glass. Anyone in my area who would like this done, I will do it at no charge. Just supply the parts.

raccoon
05-02-2010, 04:39 PM
yes the parts, now witch specific one will ahve the correct angles

4 l-bodies could you scan that page from the FSM?

jonnyb
05-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Todd,

I've thought about doing this as well.

I'm pretty sure I read that Neil Emiro's 88 CSX-ND had power windows from the back of a minivan installed on its back windows. Anyone else remember this?

Now that would be a sweet setup!

Doesn't Cindy or someone in the community still have that car? If they do, and it has power windows in the back, some pics are definitely a must.

Jon

clocktowersniper
05-06-2010, 07:13 PM
You could actually do that. The power quart window motors would work up to 95.

DC Turismo
05-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I've been planning on doing this to my CSX since I got it back in 06... I have power motors and all wiring from a early nineties minivan laying here as well as an assortment of other manual levers out of trucks of all makes. My interior in that car is gutted, but I since I haven't done anything towards fixing the car up yet, all those possibilities are just sitting there. I will be doing this to mine since I've always loved my dad's Demon having this option.

The only drawback.I can foresee about doing this mod is not having them open at highway type speeds, as that front metal piece of the quarterpanel window is popriveted on in three places but it does not seem extremely sturdy. Around town speeds it won't be bad, but I doubt I'd be cruising fast with them open.

shackwrrr
05-08-2010, 02:22 AM
I was helping part out an E30 BMW and the rear windows are the same way with the thin sheet metal and a few pop rivets holding it in so I wouldnt worry about it.

DC Turismo
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Sounds good. Of course they aren't as beefy as the older 70 cars that had these functional quarter windows were. I just don't get why Dodge did it to their minivans but not the Shadows? lol

shackwrrr
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I am guessing that it is related to CO intake that they found during testing.