PDA

View Full Version : Caliber SRT-4 vs Lancer Evolution IX

iTurbo
03-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Well I had my first loss in the CSRT last night! I saw a nice silver Evo up ahead in traffic. He was on/off the throttle a lot so I figured he might be game. When the road opened up. I passed by, no ricer flyby or nothing, just waited for him to make a move. He slowly pulls up along side my car and motions for me to roll my window down, then asks me, "Hey aren't you the guy that owns that white Spirit?" I nod, and then, "I'm the guy that left the note on the windshield!" Haha I was wondering who left the note on my white Spirit R/T. He wanted to buy it a few months ago. I never met the guy until now though.

Then he asks me if my CSRT was still stock and I tell him it only had Mopar stage I. We raced right after that. It was pretty short to tell you the truth. We only went from a 20 MPH up just into third gear but he pulled on me a little the whole way and had about a car length at the end around 70-80 MPH.

I have no idea what mods the Evo had as I didn't ask. I do know it had a 2-step rev limiter though. I could hear it when I was behind him at a red light. He said the rev limiter was stock..

Vigo
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
A worthy opponent to lose to. Good race!

fleckster
03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
The Evos have a lower rev limiter from launch from the factory because the Factory got tired of having to warranty peoples' car who revved them to 7000rpms and dumped the clutch which can't take it. I think it was a change after the first year they were available in the US. At least I remember reading that in the magazines...

contraption22
03-30-2010, 05:20 PM
The Evos have a lower rev limiter from launch from the factory because the Factory got tired of having to warranty peoples' car who revved them to 7000rpms and dumped the clutch which can't take it. I think it was a change after the first year they were available in the US. At least I remember reading that in the magazines...

I didn't know about the launch limiter, but I'm pretty sure that my neighbor's EVO8 had a restrictor orrifice in the hydraulic clutch line to slow down clutch engagement to help the driveline live. I beleive the GM LS1 Fbody's had something similar to help the 7.5" rear's live.

Spraynlog
03-31-2010, 12:35 AM
If he only pulled on you a little, a car length up to 70-80mph, I'd say you did great! I'll bet he paid $30K+ for that Evo.:nod: Put on a couple more mods and you'd have him.

iTurbo
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks, not sure what I will do for the next mod on this car. I'm still over my head in old school turbo mopar projects to tell you the truth.

Honestly I thought I'd have this Evo no problem. I've raced two different Subaru STIs (from a roll) back when my CSRT was still bone stock and didn't have any trouble with them. Now I have MS1 and the car seems a lot faster and this Evo gets me! Hopefully I can find out more on the car but it was faster than I thought for sure.

TurboII
03-31-2010, 10:28 AM
what i noticed about csrt is for diggie's to low mph rolls their not quick. from a 45+ roll you would of been all over that!!!. My boy bought one of those when they first came out and it was a sweet freaking car! but from a dig i would get him from a 45+ roll he would leave me in a dust... all i can say bad about those cars is be careful with the 6spd trannys their not bullet proof...

Joey

iTurbo
03-31-2010, 02:52 PM
My car was a lot lazier from a dig before MS1; after MS1 it is a whole lot different. Much more power but more wheel spin and torque steer too. I had the ESP shut off which results in more wheel spin. Leaving the ESP on results in the car lowering the boost (and probably throttle %) and really kills performance. When I raced the Evo, most of the gain he had on the CSRT was at lower MPH but I pretty much stopped him from getting any farther away up top. Not enough to real him back in though and it's hard to say what would have happened if we had stayed in it.

Dusty_Duster
04-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks, not sure what I will do for the next mod on this car. I'm still over my head in old school turbo mopar projects to tell you the truth.

Honestly I thought I'd have this Evo no problem. I've raced two different Subaru STIs (from a roll) back when my CSRT was still bone stock and didn't have any trouble with them. Now I have MS1 and the car seems a lot faster and this Evo gets me! Hopefully I can find out more on the car but it was faster than I thought for sure.

WRXs are slow and do not react well to mods. My neighbor has a WRX that runs 11 flat in the quarter, and it's ridiculous the stuff he had to do to that car to make it that fast. Evos are a different story.

3Bar_Mopar
04-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I have no idea what mods the Evo had as I didn't ask. I do know it had a 2-step rev limiter though. I could hear it when I was behind him at a red light. He said the rev limiter was stock..

Likely a no-lift shift feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjZVTyOZDg0

3Bar_Mopar
04-04-2010, 11:14 PM
WRXs are slow and do not react well to mods. My neighbor has a WRX that runs 11 flat in the quarter, and it's ridiculous the stuff he had to do to that car to make it that fast. Evos are a different story.

No lie! A friend of mine's EVO runs in the low 11's at like 135 mph spinning 4 wheels. Here's a vid of his set up from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSYWSSQdQaU&feature=related

Vigo
04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
That sure was a weak AWD launch. He should just set his launch limiter lower or something.

89FerrariShelby
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM

I dunno about that. There's some kids at the track up here running 12.5's with just a tune, no bolt/add ons. And i've seen a few 11 sec WRX's, but never bothered to ask what was done to them...

Vigo
04-05-2010, 11:03 PM
old base 2.0 wrx's may be hard to get power out of, but STi's start pretty fast and go up from there.. i would hesitate to place bets between a csrt4 and an sti if i didnt know their mods..

iTurbo
04-06-2010, 12:22 AM
I've raced two STIs from a roll in my CSRT and had no problem leaving them behind. This Evo I raced was quite a lot faster than they were....who knows about the mods though. All my CSRT has is MS1.

Nemesismachine
04-06-2010, 05:12 PM
my buddy's evo 9 had it's studderbox raised to around 5k. Sounded cool, though.

TurboII
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Not to rub anything is but these are both my boys car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx5g0iKN5IM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx5g0iKN5IM

3Bar_Mopar
04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Not to rub anything is but these are both my boys car

Damn...dude's Caliber got yanked.

I ran a friend's Cobalt SS supercharged with pully, fuel mods and exhaust. He's supposedly run a high 12 and he pulled me a little last summer. They can be quick.

3Bar_Mopar
04-08-2010, 09:56 PM
That sure was a weak AWD launch. He should just set his launch limiter lower or something.

I know...he spun like crazy. I know his 60ft was probably crap.
Here's another vid of the evo....seems like a slightly better launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT5LO0yzD_Q

TurboII
04-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Damn...dude's Caliber got yanked.

I ran a friend's Cobalt SS supercharged with pully, fuel mods and exhaust. He's supposedly run a high 12 and he pulled me a little last summer. They can be quick.

i not sure how my boy ss did that but my mouth dropped and i just giggled cause that was luck. once my other boy with the csrt gets his ms1 or 2 im sure its a wrap. But once i get my cal in will see!

Joey

iTurbo
04-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Update, found out the Lancer Evolution I raced is actually an '05 Evo VIII. Has K&N Typhoon intake, Buschur Racing 3" turbo-back exhaust, and a few other little things.