PDA

View Full Version : TIII conquest ??????s

440dart
03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
i have a decent conquest ive been thinking about putting my t3 in, my question is would it be hard to mate the t3 to a stock turbo conquest transmission its a manual of some sort are they very strong i dont know much about conquests also what about the rear ends are they strong enough for 5-600hp

turbovanmanČ
03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Search my friend, its been covered many times. No, the stock tran's won't bolt to a TIII.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46195&highlight=conquest

rbryant
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Much better off going with a 4G63 or 4G64 engine built inside of the D50 a truck block.

The G63/G64 block from a D50 truck will bolt up to your transmission. You can take all of the engine parts except the block from a 4G63 eclipse/talon engine to make it a turbo setup. Unfortunately the eclipse/talon block has a different bellhousing than the conquest tranny and hence the need for the truck block.

I posted a bunch of info about that a while back.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
03-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Much better off going with a 4G63 or 4G64 engine built inside of the D50 a truck block.

The G63/G64 block from a D50 truck will bolt up to your transmission. You can take all of the engine parts except the block from a 4G63 eclipse/talon engine to make it a turbo setup. Unfortunately the eclipse/talon block has a different bellhousing than the conquest tranny and hence the need for the truck block.

I posted a bunch of info about that a while back.

-Rich

Now that would be a fun, cheap build, :amen:

440dart
03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Search my friend, its been covered many times. No, the stock tran's won't bolt to a TIII.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46195&highlight=conquest

yeah brain fart wasnt thinking i have a dakota 5speed 2.2L i have the bellhousing just have to mate a trans to it

440dart
03-29-2010, 09:30 PM
also i will be sticking with a t3 as i have a bunch of t3 parts

440dart
03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
so looks like a supra trans will work not sure where the shifter will be once everything is bolted into the car and not sure about what to do with the pilot bearing. so i got almost everything but a supra transmission also are they hydraulic clutch or cable

strang3majik
03-30-2010, 11:28 AM
yeah, dump the stock trans...they suck. In the past 3 months I've gone through 2 of them, and I, in my ownership have only dumped the clutch once, and that was like a year ago...lol

But, I say give it a shot. Everyone always shoots the ones wanting to try it, down...so, I say, give it a shot for once. Be a different, yet very cool, swap.

Vigo
03-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I also say go for it. I've generally AVOIDED what everyone else has already done in all the projects i care about. My 8valve turbo mopars are kind of a sellout!

I think the t3 in a conquest would be really cool, and work just as well as a 4g63 build. I wouldnt say the 4g63 has any unbeatable advantage unless you want to go higher than 8000 rpm.

The dakota bellhousing and supra trans sounds good, but as you said, shifter location is important.. other than that, its just welding up some mounts and making the driveshaft work to bolt it in.

86Shelby
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
The family of trans the Supra trans is part of has different shifter locations. Just swap out the top plate & shifter for the location that works, they are different distances from the bellhousing flange. IIRC there are 3 locations to choose from. I can't remember what other applications they can come from though.

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2010, 06:45 PM
But, I say give it a shot. Everyone always shoots the ones wanting to try it, down...so, I say, give it a shot for once. Be a different, yet very cool, swap.

Not sure, but I don't think anyone on here has said don't do it! :confused:

I also say go for it. I've generally AVOIDED what everyone else has already done in all the projects i care about. My 8valve turbo mopars are kind of a sellout!

I think the t3 in a conquest would be really cool, and work just as well as a 4g63 build. I wouldnt say the 4g63 has any unbeatable advantage unless you want to go higher than 8000 rpm.

The dakota bellhousing and supra trans sounds good, but as you said, shifter location is important.. other than that, its just welding up some mounts and making the driveshaft work to bolt it in.

The advantage with a 4g63 is cost, you can build a stupid engine for way less than a comparable TIII and if you break it, go to any wrecker and pick up more cheap parts, :eyebrows:

Vigo
03-31-2010, 12:25 AM
I dont think the t3 is any easier to break than a 4g63. As long as both are treated well i dont think the 4g63 is any stronger unless you're talking about really high rpms.

strang3majik
03-31-2010, 01:59 AM
Not sure, but I don't think anyone on here has said don't do it! :confused:

I've seen people say don't do it...especially on the starquest sites...holy crap. I inquired about it a few years back and all they said was, NO. lol

But, I would definitley go 2.5 if you could, because, you'll need the added torque since you'd be going to RWD.

tsiconquest88
03-31-2010, 08:43 AM
interesting thread. if u got the parts and you know your t3 engine wont be suffering ishaft/oil pump failure anytime soon go for it lol. I say this cus to do the swap then have to take it out right after due to the failure would be pretty sucky. Yes the supra trans works, not in your case of course lol. but i worked on a last gen rx7 swap which is a pretty decent tranny. Not saying u can use that either, just mentioning what works in the sq. Onto the relevent stuff- The stock rear end can handle quite a bit, i have not heard of any blow at the track, im sure some have but its not common. now typical driver sq's, some have blown due to owner abuse, was leaking from the diff, gears eventually wore and yea-done. All in all the starquest is a very solid car that can have crap beat out of it. i had 14 or so sq's (not all were drivers) but i never blew a rear up or had any problems with a rear in the 7 that were drivers. I wont go into a long speal but lets say this, i drove 2 years straight with my next to last starion daily at 22 psi with a turbo swap, new head, and plenty of mods, supporting mods but stock bottom end, and for the last 4 months before i sold it, 180 miles a day for work. And beat the crap out of the car and of course burying the needle almost ever one of those days lol. Rear is still fine and its the original to the car. that was over 2 years ago now since sold and its still going strong in all ways. Amongst the 20+ years ago it was built lol. With that said i would like to say keep the g54b engine but im all for swaps too.

The stock trans are a little weak (agree with strangmajik), i never broke one but i hear 400 plus tends to bust them. 300 and such probably takes a toll though.

440dart
03-31-2010, 10:38 AM
got a t-3 here waiting for machine work for my venolia pistons hbeam rods cyro intermediate shaft ect ect. and i will never own a dsm or one of there engines so thats out of the question. its just an idea as of right now

Aries_Turbo
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
yeah brain fart wasnt thinking i have a dakota 5speed 2.2L i have the bellhousing just have to mate a trans to it

it needs to be a 94-95 bellhousing. if its the earlier, i believe it mates to a T5 trans... maybe use a mustang/v8 camaro t5 but i dunno.

if its the ax15 bellhousing, METZ has my old R154 supra setup when i decided to go another route and i dunno if he used it.

i dont think larry buford has broken a supra trans yet and he was making 531whp.

brian

t3rse
03-31-2010, 01:42 PM
LS1 swap...muahahaha!

strang3majik
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
just for the record, I've ripped second gear out of two stock trannies with nothing but a 3" exhaust done to the car. So, around 200hp can kill the trannies...lol

But, I'll tell you what, she'll chirp second everytime as long as the gear still has teeth :p

The engines are strong (as long as taken care of), and the rears are strong (as long as taken care of). Keep up on maintance and they'll last.

But, here's a pic of said tranny damage. And yes...I've gone through two of'm.
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC02230.jpg

440dart
03-31-2010, 05:48 PM
i would much rather use a trans out of a camaro or mustang and the bellhousing i have is out of a 87 body style dakot not sure what year it is so i guess its the wrong one for the supra trans i didnt know they made a 2.2l for the dakota that new???

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2010, 06:02 PM
I dont think the t3 is any easier to break than a 4g63. As long as both are treated well i dont think the 4g63 is any stronger unless you're talking about really high rpms.

I said cost, not strength, ;)

I've seen people say don't do it...especially on the starquest sites...holy crap. I inquired about it a few years back and all they said was, NO. lol

But, I would definitley go 2.5 if you could, because, you'll need the added torque since you'd be going to RWD.

This isn't the "Starquest" sites, we are already loony so what's another unique project, bring it, :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM
i would much rather use a trans out of a camaro or mustang and the bellhousing i have is out of a 87 body style dakot not sure what year it is so i guess its the wrong one for the supra trans i didnt know they made a 2.2l for the dakota that new???

you might want to check into seeing if it will bolt to a mustang/camaro t5 then. im not sure. i just know they used to use the weaker t5 in the daks and the stang and camaro got the stronger t5.

brian

440dart
03-31-2010, 11:44 PM
well its just an idea, i also have a set of brandnew edlebrock aluminum 360magnum heads begging to be used to lol:thumb:

strang3majik
03-31-2010, 11:57 PM
TT 360...do it :p

440dart
04-01-2010, 10:36 AM

haha that what i was origonaly thinking but a single he1 holset and if i went with a 360 probley go with a 904

strang3majik
04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
go with the same 5/6 speed you were talking about earlier...more fun :D

moparman76_69
04-01-2010, 12:05 PM

stop stealing my ideas!!

moparman76_69
04-01-2010, 12:06 PM
you might want to check into seeing if it will bolt to a mustang/camaro t5 then. im not sure. i just know they used to use the weaker t5 in the daks and the stang and camaro got the stronger t5.

brian

Dakotas never used a T5, the 94-up trucks use an AX-15 the eariler ones use a NV2500 also known as an A535.

Aries_Turbo
04-01-2010, 12:22 PM
hmmm. well that throws a wrench in the works.

if they use a 2500, can a 3500 or a 4500 be made to work?

Brian

moparman76_69
04-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I have no clue, the t5 pattern looks close to the 2500 pattern, it might be able to work by redrilling it. Depends on the input shaft length.

Aries_Turbo
04-01-2010, 01:04 PM
if its close and the input shaft is close, it shouldnt be too hard. a hydraulic TOB unit could be used and/or spacers to make it all line up. :)

Brian

tsiconquest88
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
im definately lovin the ideas in this thread lol.

METZ
05-28-2010, 12:06 PM
it needs to be a 94-95 bellhousing. if its the earlier, i believe it mates to a T5 trans... maybe use a mustang/v8 camaro t5 but i dunno.

if its the ax15 bellhousing, METZ has my old R154 supra setup when i decided to go another route and i dunno if he used it.

i dont think larry buford has broken a supra trans yet and he was making 531whp.

brian

I'm still planning on using the Supra tranny behind a PT Cruiser 2.4T and it's looking like it may end up in my Conquest.

440Dart, Have you made any headway? I would love to see a T3 in there!

Bob

turbovanmanČ
05-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Dakotas never used a T5, the 94-up trucks use an AX-15 the eariler ones use a NV2500 also known as an A535.

How is the A535 for strength against a turbo engine?

440dart
06-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm still planning on using the Supra tranny behind a PT Cruiser 2.4T and it's looking like it may end up in my Conquest.

440Dart, Have you made any headway? I would love to see a T3 in there!

Bob

well its been put on the back burner for now i ended up getting a super nice 79amx 304 4spd black, it basicly looks like a sporty eagle lol but rwd it handles like its on rails and it dont run too bad iam looking for a 401 for it at the moment this car puts me light years ahead of that conquest

1- its already got a v-8 and 4spd
2- its black
3- handles really good alot better then my 93 es shadow v6 5spd i use to have
4- it looks nice fairly new paint job and decent wheels
5- JUST NEED MORE POWER LOL

, and trying to round up the money to get out my megacab from the bodyshop, then turning in all my paper work for going to school has me all tied up at the moment.

Vigo
06-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Sounds like a fun one.. post pics somewhere.

shackwrrr
06-11-2010, 10:50 AM
yes pics are needed. AMC engines FTW

moparman76_69
06-18-2010, 05:12 PM
How is the A535 for strength against a turbo engine?

wow forgot about this thread.

I'd guess it'd be bad, If I ever get the dakota done I'll find out how long it holds up to 20 psi. Its got a horribly short first and second gears though.