PDA

View Full Version : Finally having resigned myself to my car's fate...

Hooty
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
I went ahead and took a few precautions while storing my car. Sta-Bil in the gas tank, disconnected the battery, used a "fogger" in the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Anything else anyone can recommend (aside from the standard to keep mice out of the car)? Until I can figure out how to get the tranny fixed for cheap and fast, this it the fate of my lebaron. Thanks all

-Will

turbovanmanČ
06-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Trannies are cheap, whats the deal?

I would jack it up and let the wheels hang, use jackstands on the frame rails and body mounts.

uwilluz
06-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Trannies are cheap, whats the deal?

Well, if you are like me and have a handful of change to your name, even "cheap" is expensive.

jre97
06-04-2006, 06:48 PM
What kind of tranny do you need? I have a good a 413 for cheap.

mech1nxh
06-04-2006, 11:13 PM
yeah , must be some resources around to make it live.....

Hooty
06-05-2006, 10:17 AM
It has an A413 in there right now. That's pretty much all that is keeping it off of the road (that and I'm not sure it will pass DEQ here in portland). It basically blew out, something went bad in the tranny, I think the TC because you can run it up the RPMS and it's not until well above 3K that it even starts to move, and sometimes not even at all. As for the deal, Simon, I'm a college student working full time, with a wedding on the way (the real one so to speak, had a non-legal ceremony a couple years ago), money is tight, especially when it costs 50 bucks a tank on a car with 20 mpg (not my baron). Yup, the joys of not having done school when I was younger.

JRE97 - PM me some information on that tranny? I would appreciate it. Thanks

-Will
89 Lebaron 2.5L T1 a413 <- Tranny go BOOM
96 Thunderbird 4.6L N/A *light mods*

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2006, 02:23 PM
^^^^^^^I know the feeling about being that broke. :(

Hooty
06-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I was going to see about doing the rebuild myself, lot less money for parts etc. But the kicker is, I have no where that I can do it properly, and my apartment complex landlord would probably have a massive coronary heart attack to find my car up on jackstands in the RV Storage area with parts missing out of it. Not only that, my technical expertise with computers is decent, but when it comes to tranny's, well, I have the shakes pretty bad, so I'm afraid I'd be in over my head.

-Will

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2006, 03:32 PM
If you've never done one, better off having a pro do it. One mistake can cost you big time, IE no 2nd, or 3rd, etc and having to keep pulling the tranny out to fix each little mistake can be a royal PITA.

Hooty
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, that was my big thought. I know I would probably miss something important and not having the proper workshop, probably doubles or triples my chances of messing something up. A local tranny shop quoted me 1300 for a full rebuild of my current tranny, most of it actual rebuild time, only about 300 for parts. But, I want to check my other options too. I'm having boost withdrawal symptoms, like looking constantly for my boost gauge when I get on the gas.

-Will

jre97
06-05-2006, 06:08 PM
You have PM

turbovanmanČ
06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Get ahold of Gasketmaster, he's in Portland and could probably help you out. His name is Terry Ryan.

tryingbe
06-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Get a 2nd job or start yard selling stuff.

Hooty
06-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Get a 2nd job or start yard selling stuff.
:lol: :drum: With being a full time student and working full time with my commute and homework I barely get 5 hours of sleep a night most nights. That's a good one. As for yard selling stuff, I don't have a lot I can sell. Only my books, and quite frankly, my books are more important to me than a car ever will be. Oh well, I have my ways. BTW jre97, Thanks, got your pm.

-Will