PDA

View Full Version : QUICK info needed...

carguyray
03-27-2010, 10:00 PM
A local salvage yard I go to is 'thinning out' their yard and in the process I now have access to an 82 RWD Fifth Ave that has a mint looking silver 'joystick' cassette radio I WANT !!!! Well, after taking off all the trim I found it's bolted in with some 'special' bolts. they look sort of like a dome with 3 'slits' in it. I've never seen anything like this before although my time is normally spent in the early 70s or 84 and up K-types.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it a normal thing for that era or maybe something put in by the orig owner?

They'll prob. crush that car VERY soon and I'd like to get back there tomorrow (sunday, 3/28) and get it, but I've got no idea how to get past those bolts. Is this a socket I can get somewhere (Sears looked at me like a spaceman) or has anyone used anything like those "one socket fits all" kind of sockets on anything like this before?

ANYTHING would be a great help. This radio's so perfect and would be a perfect replacement for the badly worn out one in my 87 Town & Country.

Thanks.
Ray

BadAssPerformance
03-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Factory security bolts... they make a tool. Or you can make one.. or you might be able to use a pair of good needle nose pliers and soem muscle to grab the dots and try to turn it... Or, bring a cordless drill and 1/4" or 5/16" drill bits :D

Birddog
03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
^What he said.. I have a pair of needlenose that are ground down just right for those.

carguyray
03-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Ground down as in 'pointier'/thinner at the ends?

(Sadly a great idea I never thought of... THANKS!)

Birddog
03-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I could have saved a bunch of money, over time, if I had just bought the set of security fastener bits. But having 10 or so pair of modded needlenose works too... LOL!

carguyray
03-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Is that something you can still buy or is/was it a special thing for mopar? With all the 'toys' I like to stock up on (and with owning 4 80s turbo mopars (so far)) It could be a good thing to invest in.

I'm off with my 'normal' needlenose tomorrow... Let's hope for the best!

TopDollar69
03-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I usually cut a slot in them with a cordless dremmel and a cut off wheel, then use a flat blade screw driver. I've only ever seen that style of security screw on Chrysler radios.