PDA

View Full Version : MPScan

Pages : [1] 2 3

wowzer
03-25-2010, 10:07 AM
****MPScan ver 2***

here is the link to download MPScan. Use this link for the first time install. Subsequent updates will typically be done automatically via the program's auto update feature.

MPScan
(http://gofile.me/5bycC/TEUIsJ0ag)
In this directory you will find:
1) mpscansetup.zip - main install file (see below)
2) mpscan.exe - program executable in case auto update does not work. copy directly into C:\Program Files (x86)\MP Suite\MPScan directory.
3) mpsuiteupdater.exe - executable in case auto update does not work. copy directly into C:\Program Files (x86)\MP Suite\MPScan directory.

ftdi drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
net framework 4.0 (if needed) from mpscan link above.

what you need to do:
-download the zip file to a temp directory
-unzip and run setup.exe

effective for version 2.0.2.4 (uploaded 6/3/14)
windows XP:
-the setup will create an MPScan directory under the MP Suite directory under the regular programs directory. all program files and user files will default to this location.

windows Vista and above:
-the setup will create an MPScan directory under the MP Suite directory under the regular programs directory. all program files will default to this location. User files will be created/stored in the regular user app directory, typically found under "c:\users\{username}\Documents\MPScan

also, there are several csv files that the user can download/update separately from the auto downloader that provide the detail to the mpscan gauges. they can be downloaded by going into the menus 'settings', 'layout files', 'update settings' and selecting 1 or all of the files to update. periodically i will post that the files have been updated so the user is responsible to download the files if desired. it's probably a good idea to do this on a monthly basis just to make sure everything is current.

here is a link to a video that sheds some light on how to set it up (outdated! - search wheming for more recent stuff):

MPScan V2 Basic Setup - http://youtu.be/FUPrPVaO4VU

MPScan V2 Advanced Gauge Setup - http://youtu.be/5csBsJgCbgU (disclaimer - apparently it's a bad idea to have the mic to close to your nose. hope you like to hear me breathe!)

zin
03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Sorry to be a bother, but is this a program that will provide a "real time" look at sensor outputs/inputs, or is it just a data logging program?

I'm still in the "lurking" phase and so have very little practical experience, so that might be why I'm not understanding...

Thanks!!

Mike

wowzer
03-27-2010, 01:21 PM
the program reads whatever ram locations you decide you want, displays them in various user selected forms, and "logs" the data, allowing you to save and retrieve it for future playback. perhaps i don't understand the difference between "real time look" and "data logging" you r referring to. it only can retrieve the ram data the ecu code stores.

bakes
03-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Wow this is cool , now to learn it (need a vid ) . Is it compatible with ostrich 2 yet or is that coming?

wowzer
03-28-2010, 12:02 AM
what functionality do you want from the ostrich? unfortunately, the ostrich can not access the ram locations, just the table and code locations, so i am not sure what to do at this point. ideas?

mptuner does use the ostrich for flashing as well as monitoring table hits.

badandy
05-02-2010, 09:55 PM
How does this work?...meaning how do you make the connections to the SMEC?

wowzer
05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
you can use a serial/ttl converter and the high speed logging option by selecting it in the template or you can TRY the regular DRB protocol using a serial/ttl converter OR a usb/ttl convertor. i have had limited success with the usb stuff for logging. then just plug the convertor into the regular diagnostic/sci port. Next you will need to set up a config file that contains the ram addresses you want to log. rob has preset a number of them in the tsmec templates, although you will probably want to tweak a few to your liking. then start logging.

unfortunately, it is a bit more complicated then that but read through the help file which should provide more info for you.

one of my goals this summer is to make better help files!

ShelGame
07-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Morris - been using MP Scan a lot lately. And, having some difficulty. I'm not sure if it's related to MP Scan or not, but I keep losing the connection to my FTDI cable. Doesn't seem to happen when flashing with MP Tuner. What happens is, I get an error message along the lines of 'unable to communicate with specified port'. I click OK, and MP Scan closes out. When I re-start, it doesn't 'see' the FTDI port (though the system still shows it as being available). I have to unplug it, plug it back in, and then re-start MP Scan for it to find it. In addition, I have to re-set all of the coms settings since it defaults to COM1 when it can't find COM3.

Like I said, it may or may not be an MP Scan issue. I've noticed that the USB connector gets very hot when it's been plugged in for a while. Not 100% sure why that is, but I'm going to look into it today. I think it may be due to a constant current draw due to the inverted logic the SMEC uses (a zero state on the Tx line is 5v). I think there must be a sink on the Rx line in the SMEC that causes a current draw when the SMEC is powered down (when setting up logging or preparing to flash, for example).

Also, this may be related - MP Scan often stops scanning for a few seconds. The display simply stops, then picks up where it left off. I'm not sure if it's a display-only error, or if it actually stops logging. I usually hit F3 to stop the logging and then re-start. So, I haven't saved one of those logs.

Also, an idea for an improvement - save the display settings so you don't have to re-display the gauge, graph, bit, etc displays individually. They at least save their screen locations currently. But, it would be nice to have a 1-click method for getting all of the displays back up on the screen.

89ShelbyGuy
07-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Rob, i am having that same problem with the logworks plug in. When i hit the throttle hard, it looses its connection and only my wideband is getting logged...it did that to me twice yesterday....and like you said, i have to close out logworks, close out the plugin- unplug it and plug it back in...but it has no problem getting its com back.......i also had this problem with mpscan. Oh..i am also using the ftdi mod.....its really annoying with the logworks as i gotta pull over...reset everthing and start over.....thought i havn't checked to see if my usb connector is getting warm or not....

Tom

wowzer
07-15-2010, 09:34 AM
rob/tom - what "protocol" are you using when logging, the drb or custom and what settings?

rob - do you have the same issues using the serial/ttl converter?

i'll look at the com stuff again. (been a while!!). when using the com settings screen the program does a quick search to see what ports are available. after it bombs out it must still think that port is in use so it will skip it. i guess i could force it to reset to the previous saved settings (hmm - maybe i'll just prompt you for that response if it can't set the previous settings!).

good idea on the screen display. i'll add that and update the download.

hopefully risen or others who are better versed in the hardware/programming stuff can shed some light on how to get the usb more reliable. i wonder if programming the ftdi using the dll directly would work better versus using the com port? any thoughts?

usually when the display stops logging its because the bytes sent vs the bytes received is out of sync (i.e. losing bytes on receive). i had this problem years ago also using jason's logging software. although he processed just 1 byte at a time so you never really knew if it was missing bytes. if i send 20 bytes/locations i don't update the display unless i get all 20 back. as i said before, i have found the usb logging very iffy. the usb protocol (from what i understand) has a buffer system that i think really messes things up. reducing the latency down to 2 ms and using the smallest buffer seemed to help somewhat. the drb protocols just send 1 byte at a time so they seem to work better due to the usb timeout kicking in and forcing the data back to the pc. the flashing seems to work because i send a large amount of data at one time so the native usb buffer fills up quickly and sends/receives the data timely.

89ShelbyGuy
07-15-2010, 09:52 AM
I am using the DRB II....

wowzer
07-15-2010, 11:05 AM
thx tom -

the way the drb routine works is the program sends the "packet" of desired rom locations one byte at a time to the ecu. it then waits up to around 50 ms or receipt of the data byte back (whichever is less). if the ecu does not respond timely (e.g. <= 50 ms) the data byte is forced to a value of 0 and the next rom location is sent. after all the packet bytes are sent and received, the data is logged and the display is updated if the correct time interval has elapsed. if there are more than 5 timeouts in a packet, the individual timeout is increased by 5 ms. if there are < 5 timeouts in a packet, the program reduces the individual timeout down by 5 ms, until the current minimum of 45 ms is reached.

there could be a potential problem with the way i am handling the screen updates rob. if there are alot of data timeouts, the cumulative timeout could exceed the screen update interval, so the screen wouldn't update until all of the packet is complete. while unlikely, if you are experiencing a bad connection and have the screen update fairly high (5 or more updates a second), this would create a pause in the update. i'll ponder a better way to do this!!

Stratman
07-21-2010, 09:58 AM
I whipped out the old RS232 box I built from 2004 (Chad's design) for my flashable SMEC and tried to connect to the SMEC yesterday with no luck. I would build the grid and save it, but when I pulled the grid up all fields are blank. None of the RAM locations I chose show up.

wowzer
07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
make sure in the grid setup screen that you enter a display number 1 - 12. if you leave it zero (or blank) it will not show up. each "type" of display (analog, digital, graph, etc.) can have up to 12 ram locations (so 48 total - which will probably overload the ecu). this way you can set up a whole bunch of ram locations one time, save it as a master file, and then reload it, select the locations you want to display and resave it with a unique name. in theory at least!

Stratman
07-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Morris,
Is this program catered towards the USB serial cable (like Rob and others use) as opposed to the old school RS232 converters? I haven't tried to connect again to see if I can get the old RS232 box to communicate, but I will go ahead and order the USB version if I need to.

wowzer
07-22-2010, 10:07 AM
actually - i prefer (and use exclusively) the serial rs232 at 9600 baud, since for me it would work flawlessly and was much faster. the only way i got the usb stuff to work somewhat reliably was to use the drb protocols. my goal was to use the high speed usb stuff at 62500 or higher but i was unsuccessful. i need to spend some time again working on that usb aspect, either by "forcing" packets to 64 bytes or using the native ftdi dll drivers. (so much to do, so little time!).

rob has done alot more logging then i so he might have better feedback on the usb aspect. also, one of my goals over the next several months is to port everything to vs2008. also, i have some 3rd party controls (ComponentOne) that i use at work that have some excellent gauge controls. i've always been hesitant to use 3rd party stuff, tho, since it limits the "open source" concept i eventually plan to get to. If someone knows a great, free, gauge/graph control i would be interested.

ShelGame
07-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I use the ftdi USB cable/port in my van exclusively. Mostly so that I can use the fast-flashing that MP Tuner has. Flashing & verifying a new cal in 10 seconds is pretty sweet. Since it's pretty much hard-wired into the van, I also use it for datalogging. It's not issue-free.

Some of the issues:

1) Apparently, with the SMEC powered down, it will still draw current thru the FTDI cable if it's plugged into a laptop. The USB connector then gets (very) hot due to the high current draw and causes the FTDI chip in the cable to flake out. The port then drops out of windows and you lose the data connection. Solution is to not leave the FTDI cable plugged into the laptop when the car is powered down. It hot-swaps in Win7 just fine, so it's no big deal. It took me a while to figure that out.

2) Since I'm using the 'hi-speed' logger mod, I still only get data at 9600 baud. But, due to the logger code in the SMEC, I can get ~100 samples/sec. Which is about 3X more data than you can get with the DRB protocol. For debugging and general data logging, it probably is not a big deal. But, I prefer the higher time resolution when I'm trying out new code.

3) Using the USB cable, MP Scan 'loses' data often. There are times in the data set where 1-2 seconds of data get lost. I think Morris told me it has to do with the way MP Scan gets the data from the buffer. If a single byte gets lost, then the whole packet gets lost. Is that about right?

I've have not tried logging with the RS232 cable using the DRB protocol, but I will use this method for customer cars - assuming I ever need to log a customers car...

Stratman
07-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks,
I will just see if I can get any (3) of my serial converters to work. I have had MANY issue using USB anything.

wowzer
07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
the way the program currently works (assume 20 ram locations are to be sampled):

drb protocol baud rates are fixed in the program at the non standard baud rates so you have to use a usb converter that supports 7812, 62500, etc.

once the program transitions from the low to high speed drb protocol, it sends each of the 20 locations 1 location at a time, waiting up to 45 mSec for a response for each location. if no response is received timely, a "0" value is defaulted for that location. so if there are numerous timeouts the delay to log the sample could be significant.

the "custom" protocol is based on using the high speed logging option rob has in the cals (jason's old routine i believe). the program sends all 20 locations at once and waits up to 400 ms for all the data to come back. if the program times out on the packet of 20, that whole sample is set to "0"s.

i use the rs232 set at 9600 baud.

rob - are you saying you use the usb custom option at 9600 baud? if so, why not try the higher baud rates? also, did you change your usb port latency to <=8 mSec and the buffer size to 64 bytes? from what i understand, that seems to kick the bytes back faster since the usb system will timeout and return the small packet.

risen
07-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I've used a rs232 converter on my lm. It was soldered to the mcu pins internally. It worked ok with the standard logging protocol at the odd baud rates, though you need to make sure the serial port you're using supports whatever rate you need to use.

ShelGame
07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
rob - are you saying you use the usb custom option at 9600 baud? if so, why not try the higher baud rates? also, did you change your usb port latency to <=8 mSec and the buffer size to 64 bytes? from what i understand, that seems to kick the bytes back faster since the usb system will timeout and return the small packet.

Yeah, 9600 baud. I guess I never thought to try it faster than that. I'll do that next time I make a cal...

I don't remember what all I changed in the USB properties other than the inverted output. I'll take a look next time...

wowzer
07-22-2010, 01:21 PM
the latency and buffer size are under the windows device driver/port configuration screen for the usb virtual com port.

also, if the higher usb speeds work, you might want to experiment with logging more sample packets per second. i set the default to 10/sec.

ShelGame
07-22-2010, 02:43 PM
I currently have it at 50samples/sec. But, I've tried 100. I changed it because it seemed to lose less data at 50...

I'll check the com port settings...

ShadowFromHell
07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
okay so I dont know much about this stuff, at all. What would I have to buy to make this work with my laptop and a LM, SMEC, or SBEC car? I have all 3...

risen
07-22-2010, 06:51 PM
okay so I dont know much about this stuff, at all. What would I have to buy to make this work with my laptop and a LM, SMEC, or SBEC car? I have all 3...

A ftdi USB to serial adapter will work for all 3 with the caveat about the car being off kept in mind.

ShadowFromHell
07-22-2010, 10:16 PM
does it plug into the same port as a scanner?

ShadowFromHell
07-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Looks like I need a chipped ecu with a cable coming out of it?

ShelGame
07-22-2010, 10:43 PM
You don't have to do it that way. The FTDI cable can simply be plugged into the SCI port as well...

risen
07-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Yes. You're better off using the SCI port for anything other than a LM. The LM it really depends on how good you are with a soldering iron. I'd rather have the interface in the car, with short cabling, that's why I wrote the tutorial the way I did.

One day I'll get the tutorial for the SMEC/SBEC SCI usage up.

ShadowFromHell
07-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Im lost... where is the sci port? Anyone have any links to a writeup?

Aries_Turbo
07-22-2010, 10:49 PM
hmmmm just tried to setup MPScan and every time i went to hit "insert" in the grid setup, it made a bell sound and the program crashed.

i chose "grid setup" and then "new" and loaded a T-LM V10_2 list file. then tried to hit insert to see what would happen and it crashed.

next time i tried loading that .mpc thing in grid setup and still, every time i hit "insert" the program crashes.

i tried it with a T-smec 16_4 cal and its working fine.

Brian

Aries_Turbo
07-22-2010, 10:56 PM
also, i go to switch from grid view back into grid setup and it yells at me and the only way i can see to exit out of realtime stuff is to close the entire program.

am i missing something?

Brian

wowzer
07-23-2010, 10:08 AM
brian - i identify ram locations in the .lst file by the "==" assignment operator. the t-smec .asm file is set up that way (and that's all i tested it with). the t-lm .asm file only uses the "=" operator. so to get the t-lm to work you need to replace "=" with "==" in the .asm and recompile. only do this for the ram locations (0x00 - 0xFF). don't change the bit description lines or any other non ram location lines. that should fix it. hopefully rob will read this and change/update his template.

i was just playing with it a bit also. i need to do some work on the grid setup stuff. sometimes the editing/cursor movement whacks out.

what r u exactly doing when switching from the real time to the grid setup. if you have a real time grid open and then try to go to grid setup screen, it should tell you to close the real time screen first. hmm.

Aries_Turbo
07-23-2010, 08:51 PM
thanks, ill try that.

yeah it gives me the message to close the real time screen..... they way i had the grid screen laid out, i couldnt see the X to close the screen. figured it out. :)

Brian

Stratman
08-18-2010, 04:35 PM
On the SMEC in MPscan I am choosing the DRBII option and correct com port using the ttl-232r-5v USB cable with the correct TSmec list and this is not really working. I get very little flashes that something is trying to work, but it is only full maximum values which appear very briefly and intermittent. The USB cable is setup for the Logworks plugin right now which works flawlessly and I have tried buffer latency from 16ms down to 1ms with the same results either way. USB 0-5 volts is already set inverted.
Can someone post their com port settings how has theirs working?

ShelGame
08-18-2010, 09:24 PM
I don't think it's going to work uless you have a custom cal that's had the baud rate modified to be 9608. The stock DBR routines run at 7812 and 62500 baud. PC serial ports cannot talk at these baud rates...

Stratman
08-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I will try it at 9608. I saw the first post and thought it worked like this.

i usually use the high speed logging option with a serial rs232 converter. however, i have successfully used a usb cable at 62500 using the drb ii protocol (although it is MUCH slower).

ShelGame
08-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Sorry, I mis-read. I thought you were trying to do it with a standard serial cable. Dis-regard my comment above, it doesn't apply to the FTDI cable...

Stratman
08-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Cool! Do I have to reprogram cable differently with Mprog for MPscan than it is programed for the Logworks plugin?

wowzer
08-19-2010, 10:15 AM
stratman - i broke out risens smecstim last night to do some testing with mpscan. the smecstim has the ftdi usb chip embedded on the board. i did not do the initial programming on it but my guess is risen set it up properly (i.e. inverted signals, etc). anyhow, after plugging in the usb cable, i make sure the virtual com port (vcp) is recognized by windows. i also went in and set the latency to 1 and the buffer size to 64. after starting mpscan, i set up the com port to the vcp port and selected the smec t1 protocol option. closed the screen, opened up displays, clicked on grid and opened the config file i wanted. pressed the record button and it worked like a charm!?

obviously you know this but just to confirm ---- i loaded up the stock smec-t1-139 cal in mptuner and made sure the baud rates were set to 7812/62500 and the high speed logger option was NOT checked. recompiled. flashed to the ostrich. i then went into mpscan and setup a grid.

i also tried using the high speed logger option with the usb cable using the custom protocol at 9608 and 62500. 9608 worked pretty well but i still get some weird pauses. i was sending 8 locations at a time and would periodically only get 7 back before it timed out. 62500 didn't work well at all. i did mess with the timeouts a bit as well as used a different routine to try to fix it. i'll have to spend more time on it.

the best luck i've had is using the rs232/serial converter at 9600 baud using the high speed option fwiw.

Stratman
08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks. I'll just give up on the 62500 rate then.

wowzer
08-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks. I'll just give up on the 62500 rate then.

only for the high speed logger option (for now!). it works fine for the drb protocols.

Stratman
08-19-2010, 10:54 AM
only for the high speed logger option (for now!). it works fine for the drb protocols.

Hmmm, it's the the DRB protocol I am working with that doesn't work right. I'll mess with it further and use PortMon to see what's happening.
What do the asterisks means next to some address while in the grid setup?

wowzer
08-19-2010, 11:04 AM
the asterisks mean that rob already set up the "display" parameters for that ram location in the .asm file. so when you select that location, it will populate the grid with those defaults. saves some time. if you look at the .asm file ram locations you will see that data.

you'll hate using portmon with mpscan. since it was written in vb6 long ago, vb6 floods the port with useless stuff! also, i quit using the event driven method and just poll the port until i get data back. this creates alot of extra traffic as well.

Stratman
08-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Well, I hopped in the car this morning and MPscan worked perfect all the way to work (45 min), until I stopped it, started LW plugin, and went back to MPscan to see if it would start up. Didn't work, so I may just have to figure out a sequence. LW plugin will always start great when switching the com port back and forth between programs.

I did take a portmon log with MPscan and wow, you wasn't exaggerating about the traffic. MPscan works at the same speed as my OTC 4000 scanner which is has been far slower than the DRBII scanner. Too bad the LW plugin doesn't have an output to a txt or dif log file without having to use Logworks. :eyebrows:.

risen
08-20-2010, 11:55 AM
I did take a portmon log with MPscan and wow, you wasn't exaggerating about the traffic. MPscan works at the same speed as my OTC 4000 scanner which is has been far slower than the DRBII scanner. Too bad the LW plugin doesn't have an output to a txt or dif log file without having to use Logworks. :eyebrows:.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you'd like that feature added please post in the logworks thread. Adding that should be easy, I'd just like to discuss it a little to make sure that you get the features you'd like.

Stratman
08-20-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you'd like that feature added please post in the logworks thread. Adding that should be easy, I'd just like to discuss it a little to make sure that you get the features you'd like.

Done.

wowzer
08-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Well, I hopped in the car this morning and MPscan worked perfect all the way to work (45 min), until I stopped it, started LW plugin, and went back to MPscan to see if it would start up. Didn't work, so I may just have to figure out a sequence. LW plugin will always start great when switching the com port back and forth between programs.

glad u finally got it to work. couple things. when u start mpscan it "assumes" it is at the low baud rate. so if u started the lw plugin and then tried to start mpscan at the same time it won't work if the lw plugin has already switched to the high baud rate.

secondly, i don't recall if the lm plugin just tries to retrieve data as fast as it can or not. in mpscan, you set a "sample" rate. so if it is set at 10 samples/sec (default), that is what you'll probably get (i.e. 10 samples of x bytes based on the number of locations you are scanning). you could try using 20 samples/sec or higher to see if it makes a difference. as u noticed, the way vb6 works is poor. i am using some api calls in the routines but i probably should use all api stuff so it will better mimick the c++ routines and kill the superfluous data. never planned on it being a general use kinda thing. sorry.

Stratman
08-20-2010, 01:59 PM
so if u started the lw plugin and then tried to start mpscan at the same time it won't work if the lw plugin has already switched to the high baud rate.

Never tried it at the same time. I closed MPscan, opened LWplugin, started it, stopped and closed, then tried to start up MPscan again which didn't work. Since it's only MPscan I am having issues with on this laptop it's not really a big deal. I just need to play with it to figure out how to make it work when I want it to.

wowzer
08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
weird - i'll take a look to see what's happening. when the logging is stopped i thought i reset the ecu to the low baud. maybe that doesn't work!

*edit* i just tried it on my smecstim and i was able to start/stop logging several times within 1 session as well as start/stop in separate sessions. don't know what to tell ya!

btw - i just logged on my smecstim 1871 eight-byte frames in 60 seconds which equal about 253 bytes per second. i just set the sample rate to 50 so it would run as fast as it could. make sure the latency on the port is set to 1mS. so thats a byte every 4mS. i'm thinking 1mS is for the usb timeout and the other 3mS is vb6 crap.

wowzer
08-20-2010, 02:21 PM
stratman - i'm heading down to denver in about 10min for the super chevy show at brandemere drag strip. when i get back late sunday night i'm going to try my rs232 at 9600 baud and see what i get.

also, make sure u download the latest mpscan version just to make sure. i don't think i changed the routines much from 1.0.0 but i did add an open all feature rob requested.

vprtech
08-20-2010, 02:37 PM
weird - i'll take a look to see what's happening. when the logging is stopped i thought i reset the ecu to the low baud. maybe that doesn't work!

*edit* i just tried it on my smecstim and i was able to start/stop logging several times within 1 session as well as start/stop in separate sessions. don't know what to tell ya!

btw - i just logged on my smecstim 1871 eight-byte frames in 60 seconds which equal about 253 bytes per second. i just set the sample rate to 50 so it would run as fast as it could. make sure the latency on the port is set to 1mS. so thats a byte every 4mS. i'm thinking 1mS is for the usb timeout and the other 3mS is vb6 crap.

Curious, is this with the DRB 62500 coms, or the serial mod 9600 ? With the car I worked on recently, I was unable to get the serial mod to work well at 9600 baud, this was with a 9 pin serial adapter, not the FTDI usb-ttl . I could get it to connect and retrieve data, but would get many dropouts, especially with increased rpm. Someone mentioned (maybe you?) that the problemis that with the serial mod , you don't get exactly 9600 baud, so there is a timing mismatch. Should I use the DLB usb-ttl adapter instead ?

wowzer
08-20-2010, 02:38 PM
this is using the drbII com with the usb cable. actually, its using a usb cable and risen's smecstim which has the ftdi rs232 chip converter built in.

i will do some more testing when i get back into town using the old rs232/ttl converter and the high speed mod. that use to be my favorite, although it seems that the drbII routine works really well which i like. i'll look at higher rpm issues using risen's smecstim. i do recall (and i think rob can verify) that even with the high speed mod there was a drop of data every 5 or so seconds. can't quite remember.

1BADVAN
11-02-2010, 03:27 PM
can we make this a sticky? i think it should be

tkelly27
01-12-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm needing help getting this connected. So far I've got this cable
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=768-1028-ND

and I've downloaded the FTDI drivers here
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

as well as the MProg to edit the EEPROM on the device from here
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm

I've set it up to invert Rx and Tx
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/tkelly27/Mprogsettings.jpg?t=1294884376

I've also compiled a stock 2.5MTX in MPTuner, and followed all the instructions in MPScan. I'm still using a stock, un-socketed ecu, which I think could be one of my problems.

The next few steps for me will be to try an ECU with the binary created from MPTuner, and to get the Rx Tx from the ECU wiring harness. I'm really not sure what the SCI port is, or where it is. I was assuming it was the little blue plug in with the fuses, but that got me nowhere.

There are so many things to get wrong!

risen
01-12-2011, 10:33 PM

I've also compiled a stock 2.5MTX in MPTuner, and followed all the instructions in MPScan. I'm still using a stock, un-socketed ecu, which I think could be one of my problems.

The next few steps for me will be to try an ECU with the binary created from MPTuner, and to get the Rx Tx from the ECU wiring harness. I'm really not sure what the SCI port is, or where it is. I was assuming it was the little blue plug in with the fuses, but that got me nowhere.

There are so many things to get wrong!
The SCI port is under the hood on the right hand side, normally where the solenoids are (for most mid-late 80's cars). There are a lime green and pink wire running to it, those are the tx/rx lines from your ECU.

As an aside, funny you should post this now. I've just spent the past 3 hours writing my datalog KB article that will be up before the night is out (hopefully, if not, tomorrow definitely).

ShelGame
01-12-2011, 10:47 PM

Those are both fine.

Sounds right. You did program the FTDI cable after checking those 2 boxes, right? I actually use FTProg (also from FTDI). It's a newer version of MProg and is a little more user-friendly.

If you don't have your ECU socketed, what do you plan to do with the file you compiled in MP Tuner? You can't flash a stock ECU.

The SCI connector will be an unconnected 5-pin (usually with only 4 wires going to it) connector in between the ECU and the relays on the drivers side fender. It's sometimes plugged into a dummy plug that's attached to the main harness. Sometimes it's just hanging free. It's black in every car I've seen.

tkelly27
01-14-2011, 02:42 AM
I got it going. The 2.5MTX .lst works with my stock ECU. I'm not sure if I had to disable the high speed option when it was compiled. Figured out I'm only running 10psi. Gotta change that.

If you'd like I can look through your how to. I'm pretty good at breaking things down into simple how to's. Maybe we can have it made a sticky. It's pretty amazing that people were relying on OTC scanners for so long.

1BADVAN
03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
so i am just starting to use this and i am working my way through the help file, but i cant figure out how to set up the graphs? can anybody help me? can you graph as you are logging or is it for looking at a pre-recorded session?

Also i notice there is a setup feature for the innovatae wideband, how do we get that to display on the screen? or when we set it up will it pop up automatically?

wowzer
03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
wow - it's been a while since i looked at this. the starting point is to go to the setup screen and select the grid option. select new and it will ask for a .lst file. use the one that was created when u compiled the template, should be named the same. it will load up all the ram locations for that template. those location names that begin with an asterisk are locations that rob L has predefined in the template. they should automatically populate the fields. the others u select will need to be manipulated appropriately. i think the help file can assist from there. select your com port settings, etc. To log u need to select the display option, then select grid. you will load up the grid you created earlier which defines how to display the ram locations. then start logging. and yes it will display the logged info real time on the various graph types. u can save the session and then replay it at a later date and/or export the data to a spreadsheet.

it never seemed to work very well using the usb option but i know some have gotten it work. i always used the high speed serial option. i started working on integrating the wideband stuff but never finished it. i wrote this program originally around 2005ish as a quick hack so it is pretty rough, plus it was written in vb6 so i don't really want to maintain that code base (that's why it's still version 1.0!!). i'll generate something new this summer with better graphing and that makes more sense and is easier to use, plus has better communications routines.

have u taken a look at risen's logworks interface? it's very fast and uses the logworks program for data display, etc.

if u have more questions feel free to pm me.

Force Fed Mopar
05-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Okay so I downloaded MPScan, downloaded the update for it. Where do I find the config file it asks for? For the grid I mean.

wowzer
05-27-2011, 09:18 AM
-select -> setups - grid - new - open a lst file (created when u compile).
-press insert and select the ram locations (* means preconfigured) set other settings if needed.
-set the display order (1-12 i think for each gauge type - been awhile!)
-save

-select -> display - grid

should show u the grid u created. press record.

i never got it to work very well using the usb stuff, always used the 9600 baud serial converter. couple things i needed to do in the com routines for the usb stuff that i never got done (basically some purging commands which the old vb6 made kinda difficult).

Force Fed Mopar
05-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Hmm, well I've about halfway got it lol. When I get my ftdi cable I'll play around w/ it some more, get it figured out. Can't figure out how to setup the gauges, and where I load a grid under display it only shows one slot?

wowzer
05-27-2011, 11:54 AM
the grid under display will only show those ram locations in which there was a display order AND a short name setup in the grid setup screen. The gauges are a fixed gauge style for each TYPE of gauge. you'll see once u get it working.

btw, i think you will like version 2 alot better. i have the usb stuff working well. plus, it allows custom graphs/skins to be used as well as being able to place the graphs where u want vs a fixed location (similar to logworks3). i probably won't have it done until late june sometime (i hope).

Force Fed Mopar
05-27-2011, 02:03 PM
the grid under display will only show those ram locations in which there was a display order AND a short name setup in the grid setup screen. The gauges are a fixed gauge style for each TYPE of gauge. you'll see once u get it working.

btw, i think you will like version 2 alot better. i have the usb stuff working well. plus, it allows custom graphs/skins to be used as well as being able to place the graphs where u want vs a fixed location (similar to logworks3). i probably won't have it done until late june sometime (i hope).

Gotcha.

You mean MPTuner V2? It's gonna have the scan, bin stacker etc all in one program right? I've been using the bin stacker a bunch :)

wowzer
05-27-2011, 02:43 PM
No - MPScan v2. All that MPTune v2 does is allows u to edit the .asm file ram locations (scanner setup) that will be used by MPScan. MOST people will never use this other than Rob when he sets up/modifies the .asm file.

btw, do u use the bin stacker to burn the chip also? what do u have for a burner?

Force Fed Mopar
05-27-2011, 03:56 PM
No, I haven't tried the burning feature yet. I am using a Moates Burn2. I wasn't sure the burn function in MPTuner2 was working.

BTW I didn't see anything marked w/ a * in grid setup.

wowzer
05-27-2011, 04:31 PM
ok - i'm getting confused :-)

mptuner (v1) does NOT support the burn2
MPTune (v2) will support the burn2
MPBinstacker currently supports the burn2

MPScan (v1) - when u open the grid setup screen, click new, and load up a .lst file, and press the insert key to add an ecu location, the drop down list shows u all the ram locations. any locations that rob has preset up will show with an "*" in front of the location name.

MPScan (v2) - still working on it!!

Force Fed Mopar
05-27-2011, 04:41 PM
MPScan (v1) - when u open the grid setup screen, click new, and load up a .lst file, and press the insert key to add an ecu location, the drop down list shows u all the ram locations. any locations that rob has preset up will show with an "*" in front of the location name.

This is what I did, but none of what popped up had an asterisk on it.

Here is what I am currently doing:

Make a set of cals w/ MPTuner (v1)
Put them into a stack using MPBinstacker in MPTuner (v2)
Burn it to a chip w/ a Burn2 using the TunerPro Flash & Burn program

wowzer
05-27-2011, 04:47 PM
do u have the latest version of the binstacker program? it should allow u to burn directly to the chip using a burn2. the way u can tell is to have your burn2 plugged in the usb and when u start the binstacker program it should give u a message on the bottom that it found it. if u get that message u can directly read/write the chip using mpbinstacker by clicking the match icon for burn (cute huh!) or the glasses icon for read.

wowzer
05-27-2011, 05:08 PM
i uploaded the mpbinstacker programs to the first post under the mptuner discussion in case u need them.

wowzer
05-27-2011, 05:20 PM
31169 This is the screen i am talking about

Force Fed Mopar
05-27-2011, 06:09 PM
do u have the latest version of the binstacker program? it should allow u to burn directly to the chip using a burn2. the way u can tell is to have your burn2 plugged in the usb and when u start the binstacker program it should give u a message on the bottom that it found it. if u get that message u can directly read/write the chip using mpbinstacker by clicking the match icon for burn (cute huh!) or the glasses icon for read.

i uploaded the mpbinstacker programs to the first post under the mptuner discussion in case u need them.

I dunno, I'm just using the stacker in the MPTuner V2 prototype I got from you several months ago. I'll get the one from the MPTuner thread and try it.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

31169 This is the screen i am talking about

Yeah that's the screen, but nothing has the * on it. I'm using the latest T-LM version, maybe he doesn't have that set up for it.

wowzer
01-20-2012, 10:52 PM
thought i would bump this to let everyone know that i released ver 2 a while back. its set up a bit differently but does seem to work well with the usb and rs232 stuff. i got a bit of tweaking to do but i'll add to it as requests come in. just read thru the help. i included several gauge layouts and am open to creating others. the gauges can be modified quite a bit. just need to play with it.

lmk what ya think.

Force Fed Mopar
01-21-2012, 12:03 PM
I gotta get a new laptop/netbook and start using this...

wowzer
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
thought i would post a screen shot fwiw. shows all the current gauge types. each gauge can be completely customized as far as colors, fonts, formats, etc.

Force Fed Mopar
01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
I like it!

bfarroo
02-08-2012, 09:21 PM
OK I've gone through and setup the table pulled from MPTune. I setup the dashboard and have that all ready to go. Now when I try to open up a program to log I don't have the option to pick a MPc only a MPI. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? How do I open up a dashboard to log?

ShelGame
02-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Hmm, I'm not seeing it either...

EDIT: Ohhh, I see now. You have to have a valid port or it assumes you're not going to log and only lets you open a previously recorded session. Plug in the FTDI cable BEFORE opening MP Scan 2...

bfarroo
02-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Ah, makes sense. I'll have to give it a whirl tomorrow. BTW the flash module is awesome. I don't know why anyone would bother pulling the chip out and messing with a burner.

wowzer
02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
... You have to have a valid port or it assumes you're not going to log and only lets you open a previously recorded session. Plug in the FTDI cable BEFORE opening MP Scan 2...

exactly right. if there ain't no port, there ain't no loggin! eventually (maybe) i'll add logic to detect the usb events of physically plugging/unplugging the cable. until then, plug it in first and make sure your pc/laptop knows its out there.

currently i only have it set up to recognize a roving networks bluetooth module or an ftdi usb/rs232 device. i'll add the standard rs232 serial cable/generic usb converter routines soon, as well as fixing a few bugs and adding some other features that were in the old version i still haven't gotten around to yet.

i've only tested it using my smecstim. i'll be curious to see what the logging speed will be on an actual vehicle and if there is any difference.

ShelGame
02-09-2012, 12:13 PM
I hope to get my SMECStim hooked up this weekend so I can do some real testing on the spark-cut code. I'll for sure be using MP Scan 2.

wowzer
02-11-2012, 01:22 AM
**************************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*************************** ****
The updater program for MPScan2 did not work properly. So if u have installed the new version of MPScan2 prior to today then you need to uninstall it and download the new version from the first post and reinstall. So sorry.

zin
02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the heads-up!

And no worries about not updating.... beggars cannot be choosers!

Mike

ShelGame
02-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Morris - just playing with MP Scan tonight and had a thought - how hard would it be to set one RAM location as a limit on a guage that is dispaying another RAM location? for example, you could have a vertical bar showing the knock volts, with the current knock threshold shown as a red line across the bar. Instant view of knock. Another example would be with the rev limiter in the turbonator cals; the rev limit could be shown as a red line across the rpm gauge display. If you're using the staging limiter, you would then see the rev limit change as the staging limiter goes on and off. That wouldn't work with a non-Turbonator cal as the rev limit is in ROM stock.

Manual limits/alarms might be nice, too. You could set a coolant temp that if you go over it flashes the gauge in red or something like that.

bakes
02-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Morris - just playing with MP Scan tonight and had a thought - how hard would it be to set one RAM location as a limit on a guage that is dispaying another RAM location? for example, you could have a vertical bar showing the knock volts, with the current knock threshold shown as a red line across the bar. Instant view of knock. Another example would be with the rev limiter in the turbonator cals; the rev limit could be shown as a red line across the rpm gauge display. If you're using the staging limiter, you would then see the rev limit change as the staging limiter goes on and off. That wouldn't work with a non-Turbonator cal as the rev limit is in ROM

Manual limits/alarms might be nice, too. You could set a coolant temp that if you go over it flashes the gauge in red or something like that.
Now that sounds cool!!!

wowzer
02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
the manual limits/alarms was something i was going to add in a later version, just haven't made it that far yet! probably set a min/max value type alarm setting that changes the color of something (e.g. the needle, background, suggestions?).

i need to ponder how to interface a gauge with another ram location. in your example does the knock threshold vary as the engine is running or is it static? probably could tie it into an alarm also. e.g. if the actual knock goes above the threshold an alarm is triggered.

in the old version i also had set up a "histogram" display, which basically allowed you to display a ram value in a grid using 2 other ram values as the x and y axis points. is there any interest in that or would i be wasting my time?

ShelGame
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
the manual limits/alarms was something i was going to add in a later version, just haven't made it that far yet! probably set a min/max value type alarm setting that changes the color of something (e.g. the needle, background, suggestions?).

i need to ponder how to interface a gauge with another ram location. in your example does the knock threshold vary as the engine is running or is it static? probably could tie it into an alarm also. e.g. if the actual knock goes above the threshold an alarm is triggered.

in the old version i also had set up a "histogram" display, which basically allowed you to display a ram value in a grid using 2 other ram values as the x and y axis points. is there any interest in that or would i be wasting my time?

The threshold changes with RPM, so no it's not static. Same with the rev limiter. It changes depending on whether or not the car is staging.

I would think the X vs Y type of chart would be useful, but probably not on-the-fly. If I want to see that type of chart, I think it would be just as easy to set it up in Excel.

wowzer
02-28-2012, 12:39 AM
i uploaded a new version earlier this evening that should fix some of the issues with trying to populate the ram locations from the .lst file. also, this version has the error codes stuff loaded in.

and - i got the alarm feature working on the next version. pretty simple really. you can set an "alarm" that turns the gauge border red (or whatever color you want) if the ecu value logged goes above or below a value you can set for each gauge.

still trying to figure out the best way to incorporate a secondary ecu value into an existing gauge. hopefully by this weekend i'll have something that works.

once everythings working i'll post a quick video of it in action.

ShelGame
02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Cool!

Another question (that I'm sure I could easily answer myself if I opened MP Scan, but I'm at work and it's not installed on my new PC):
Does the bit flags still auto-populate the bit definitions? Or, do I have to do something special? I can't remember how it was setup in MP Scan 1; but I thought it was automatic.

wowzer
02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
when you add the bit gauge to the layout and select a ram location the program will try to populate the fields with the bit definitions if they have been set up in the asm. if there are none it will just populate it with a generic definition.

bakes
02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
i cant wait as long as it doesn't flash danger to intake!!!

ShelGame
02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
when you add the bit gauge to the layout and select a ram location the program will try to populate the fields with the bit definitions if they have been set up in the asm. if there are none it will just populate it with a generic definition.

OK, thanks. That's perfect...

wowzer
03-03-2012, 11:25 AM
ver 2.0.0.4 posted. adds gauge alarm and secondary ecu location display on most of the graphs.

here is a link to a 11 min demo. don't laugh. it's my first time! :o. realized i had the codec wrong when i got done. oh well. better luck next time. (and it's asm not acm - )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNRqCiro-lE

bakes
03-03-2012, 01:05 PM
thats awsome !!!!!
is there anyway to select Vac/boost from Map volts if the correct BAR is selected from the Cal?

ShelGame
03-03-2012, 01:16 PM
thats awsome !!!!!
is there anyway to select Vac/boost from Map volts if the correct BAR is selected from the Cal?

Can you clarify? I'm not sure what you mean, but it might just be a matter of setting up the logging parameters correctly...

bakes
03-03-2012, 01:28 PM
can the guage be set up for Vac/ boost insteed of Map volts if the right Map 1-5 bar is selected

wowzer
03-03-2012, 04:45 PM
You could select the mapvalue location instead. !? That displays in psi.

ShelGame
03-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Morris - is it possible ot setup 2 different logging channels for the same RAM value? What I was thinking is, I could setup 2 MAP Value channels - 1 in psi and 1 in inHg. I would set the display scale for the psi guage to 0-14.7 (or 29.4, etc) psi, basically making it a 'boost' guage. And the inHg one I would limit the display to -30inHg to 0, making it a vacuum only guage.

But, I don't think theres a way (currently) to setup 2 different logging units on the same RAM location.

zin
03-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Would that result in a gauge that displays PSI for boost while showing HG for vacuum like a regular gauge?

If so that would be nice.

Mike

wowzer
03-04-2012, 02:22 PM
- so, 2 separate gauges for 1 ecu location or 1 gauge with different scales?

zin
03-04-2012, 04:06 PM
One gauge with two scales.

Mike

wowzer
03-04-2012, 08:45 PM
ok - so here's what i did.

for each gauge type i added a lower and upper "breakpoint" and an associated lower and upper "multiplier". e.g. using a map gauge, you could set the lower breakpoint to 0 and the multiplier to 2.036254 so that if the map goes below 0 psi (i.e. goes into vacuum) then the gauge will multiply the ecu value by 2.036254 and display that value instead. i.e. -10 psi would display as -20.36. the tick mark values will also change.

will this work?

zin
03-04-2012, 10:50 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about, thank you!

Mike

wowzer
03-19-2012, 10:55 PM
been working on an AFR gauge display for logging. here is a short, crude video i took of it in action. i included the gauge in the latest version i posted tonight but it really should be considered a beta version. also, you really need to wait until rob updates all the scanner settings in the asm files before you try it. but, if u can't wait, i can help you get it set up to try out.

http://youtu.be/jzm00g16Ayg

ShelGame
03-19-2012, 10:56 PM
been working on an AFR gauge display for logging. here is a short, crude video i took of it in action. i included the gauge in the latest version i posted tonight but it really should be considered a beta version. also, you really need to wait until rob updates all the scanner settings in the asm files before you try it. but, if u can't wait, i can help you get it set up to try out.

What do I need to do to the scanner setup?

wowzer
03-19-2012, 11:01 PM
set the maximum pulsewidth to 131070 in the ecu max field for the pulsewidth ram location. check your email.

bakes
03-19-2012, 11:08 PM

Is this vid running with wide or narrow band input?

ShelGame
03-20-2012, 02:51 AM
Is this vid running with wide or narrow band input?

No input at all. It's showing you the ECU's calculated theoretical A/F. I think Morris' point is to give you a reference to compare a WB signal to for calculating the A/F error and tuning the PEFTBL...

It's essentially the same A/F as the 'A/F setup' in MP Tuner.

wowzer
03-20-2012, 11:11 AM
yep - this is what i call the "commanded afr" and hopefully will be able to use it to compare to an actual wideband afr to determine fueling error. with that info you should be able to tweak the pumping efficiency table to correct the volumetric efficiency error. still trying to determine if it really is a valid number at this point. also, i noticed this morning when displaying the afr on the graph that the value is whacked out so i need to fix that.

also, the next big step is capturing the actual wideband info into mpscan2 to combine with the ecu output. probably need to get ahold of risen to see how he did it with logworks.

(man rob, your post was at 12:51 a.m.!?! - don't u sleep?)

ShelGame
03-20-2012, 08:18 PM
(man rob, your post was at 12:51 a.m.!?! - don't u sleep?)

Sometimes it seems like it... My daughter woke up at 2:30 and after I tucked her back in I couldn't get back to sleep, lol...

Force Fed Mopar
03-22-2012, 11:59 PM
How do I post a log file on here for others to view? I compressed it to a .rar file, but when I try to attach it to a post, it isn't available.

Oh and how can you get the MapValue to display vacuum in InHg, or at least in -psi? And an the Charge Temp be displayed in degrees instead of volts?

ShelGame
03-23-2012, 07:10 AM
How do I post a log file on here for others to view? I compressed it to a .rar file, but when I try to attach it to a post, it isn't available.

Oh and how can you get the MapValue to display vacuum in InHg, or at least in -psi? And an the Charge Temp be displayed in degrees instead of volts?

The charge temp is a problem for the SMEC cals because the output isn't linear with voltage. If you want to 'fudge' it, you can change the scale to 300 to (-200) and it should be kind of close. But, there will be some error in the middle of the scale. That is, if MP Scan likes that type of scale. MP Tuner doesn't like a reverse scale.

Force Fed Mopar
03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Ah, do you have a scale or chart of some sort that we can refer to to convert the Charge Temp voltage into degrees?

I got to datalog 3 runs last night at the track, want to post them for people to look at but don't know how to do so.

The MapValue reads 0-30 in psi, but can't be right, because at idle it is still showing some psi.

ShelGame
03-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Ah, do you have a scale or chart of some sort that we can refer to to convert the Charge Temp voltage into degrees?

I got to datalog 3 runs last night at the track, want to post them for people to look at but don't know how to do so.

The MapValue reads 0-30 in psi, but can't be right, because at idle it is still showing some psi.

Yeah, when I setup the boost, I forgot that Baro is added before it's stored. So I need to fix the scale.

wowzer
03-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Rob M - send your log file to mterveen@yahoo.com and i'll tweak it for you so it displays the map stuff correctly for now. also it will give me a chance to catch any issues of replaying other users log files. when you save a log file all the "current" graph settings are saved with it so the only way to change settings is to open up the log file (.mpl extension) and manually change some of the numbers in the xml layout. so it can be done. best way is to fix the graph settings up front.

to answer a couple of your questions:

1) Fix the MapValue (long term) - attached is a pic of what you should do to your ram file setup. note the ecu and display min/max settings. also, change the decimal cell value to the precision you want.

2) Fix MapValue precision (short term) and change negative psi to InHg - open up the config file (.mpc extension), click on the map gauge, and set the settings as indicated in the picture. note the "format" field uses the standard formatting methods/characters. also, look at the lowerbreakpoint settings and what i changed to get the InHg setup. (see post 103 also)

I am going to post a newer version today that fixes a potential bug in the graphing stuff as well as the afr stuff i'm still trying to firm up.

wowzer
03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
i've also added the ability to have a specific format if you want for the breakpoints, so you can set the vacuum side of the gauge to show values in InHg as whole numbers, boost from 0 to 10 with 1 decimal in psi and boost above 10 psi as 2 decimals, or whatever. just didn't like the look of the gauge as shown above for the vacuum side of things.

Force Fed Mopar
03-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Rob M - send your log file to mterveen@yahoo.com and i'll tweak it for you so it displays the map stuff correctly for now. also it will give me a chance to catch any issues of replaying other users log files. when you save a log file all the "current" graph settings are saved with it so the only way to change settings is to open up the log file (.mpl extension) and manually change some of the numbers in the xml layout. so it can be done. best way is to fix the graph settings up front.

to answer a couple of your questions:

1) Fix the MapValue (long term) - attached is a pic of what you should do to your ram file setup. note the ecu and display min/max settings. also, change the decimal cell value to the precision you want.

2) Fix MapValue precision (short term) and change negative psi to InHg - open up the config file (.mpc extension), click on the map gauge, and set the settings as indicated in the picture. note the "format" field uses the standard formatting methods/characters. also, look at the lowerbreakpoint settings and what i changed to get the InHg setup. (see post 103 also)

I am going to post a newer version today that fixes a potential bug in the graphing stuff as well as the afr stuff i'm still trying to firm up.

Thanks, you should have mail now, just sent you my log files.

Edit: Tried what you said, but it didn't give me InHg. I have a couple extra Format settings than what is shown in your pic.

wowzer
03-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Your version was the updated one that had the extra settings for breakpoint units and format.

Force Fed Mopar
03-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Your version was the updated one that had the extra settings for breakpoint units and format.

Here's what I get when I put your settings in:

wowzer
03-27-2012, 12:55 AM
rob - sent the log files back to you with changes to the map gauge and some other notes. check your aol account.

Force Fed Mopar
03-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Replied with more questions lol.

wowzer
03-27-2012, 09:56 AM
back at ya!

wowzer
03-27-2012, 11:07 AM
rob - sent the log files. check your aol.

wowzer
03-27-2012, 09:51 PM
rob - did u have a chance to look at the log files i sent back to u? curious to know if it looks correct.

Force Fed Mopar
03-28-2012, 01:54 AM
rob - did u have a chance to look at the log files i sent back to u? curious to know if it looks correct.

Yeap, they look right.

wowzer
03-28-2012, 10:03 AM
do u have any suggestions on additional features u would like to see or changes to the program in general?

Force Fed Mopar
03-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Not at the moment, but I really haven't had a chance to use it too much yet.

Force Fed Mopar
03-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Those changes you told to do made the mapvalue read correctly. Did you say there was an issue with the inj pulsewidth reading? Also, is Calculated Spark Advance the same as the calculated tables in the Turbonator cals, or is that what the computer is actually seeing?

wowzer
03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
the injector pulsewidth logged just can't be right. if i remember it was very low. maybe if u post up one of your logs rob L could look at it also and calculate what it should be. then perhaps we can determine what is going on. could actually be a couple things - 1) the pulsewidth being logged is not the TOTAL pulsewidth the injector is seeing and/or 2) the settings for the gauge are wrong. place to start tho is trying to figure out what it should be.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Those changes you told to do made the mapvalue read correctly. Did you say there was an issue with the inj pulsewidth reading? Also, is Calculated Spark Advance the same as the calculated tables in the Turbonator cals, or is that what the computer is actually seeing?

rob L will have to address this.

Force Fed Mopar
03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
the injector pulsewidth logged just can't be right. if i remember it was very low. maybe if u post up one of your logs rob L could look at it also and calculate what it should be. then perhaps we can determine what is going on. could actually be a couple things - 1) the pulsewidth being logged is not the TOTAL pulsewidth the injector is seeing and/or 2) the settings for the gauge are wrong. place to start tho is trying to figure out what it should be.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

rob L will have to address this.

Nevermind, figure out how to .zip a file :D Here is a log I took today. Reason I ask about the calculated timing is because I seem to remember Rob L saying there was some small errors in the calculated tables in Turbonator.

wowzer
03-30-2012, 07:04 PM
need to zip it and upload it as an attachment to a post. what version of windows r u using?

****edit***
nevermind, i see u figured it out!

Force Fed Mopar
03-30-2012, 07:10 PM
need to zip it and upload it as an attachment to a post. what version of windows r u using?

****edit***
nevermind, i see u figured it out!

Lol yeah had to change the archive type from .rar to .zip :) Watching the log again, it looks like the timing goes to 10* whenever the TPS volts is 1.00 (my minimum tps value).

wowzer
03-30-2012, 07:22 PM
ok - just watched it. worked great. couple suggestions. it would be nice to see the o2 display with at least 1 decimal. also would like to see the mph to see if you r breaking the law!! ;-/

looking at the pulsewidth it can't be right! at idle you r around 250 microSecs (i think the units are wrong). i would think it would be closer to 1000 microseconds (1 millisecond). i know in both the gm cars i log regularly the idle pulsewidth is MUCH higher than that. i wonder what the min pulsewidth is on your injectors.

also, its strange that it is showing a small fractional knock all the time. must be a problem in the rounding in my program. i'll try to fix that.

Force Fed Mopar
03-30-2012, 07:29 PM
ok - just watched it. worked great. couple suggestions. it would be nice to see the o2 display with at least 1 decimal. also would like to see the mph to see if you r breaking the law!! ;-/

looking at the pulsewidth it can't be right! at idle you r around 250 microSecs. i would think it would be closer to 1000 microseconds (1 millisecond). i know in both the gm cars i log regularly the idle pulsewidth is MUCH higher than that. i wonder what the min pulsewidth is on your injectors.

I'm actually about to add the speed in there, it is handy to see what speed things are happening at, as it pretty much lets you know what gear you are in. I forgot about the decimal in the O2 gauge until I had started logging.

I was wondering about pulsewidth, most vehicles I see on the scanner show about 2-4 milliseconds at idle. Not sure what my minimum is, I have +40 injectors.

Also, shouldn't O2 volts be 1 max, not 5?

Force Fed Mopar
03-30-2012, 08:08 PM
do u have any suggestions on additional features u would like to see or changes to the program in general?

Is there a way for it to show the peak reading? Like lets say I want to know what the max knock voltage was in a run. Kinda like a secondary number or needle.

zin
03-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Is there a way for it to show the peak reading? Like lets say I want to know what the max knock voltage was in a run. Kinda like a secondary number or needle.

I'm imagining something like a peak marker on your stereo's EQ, or a tattletale needle on a gauge, you know, one that gets moved with the regular needle, but stays at the max value/point the needle went to... Maybe a red (or other contrasting color) hash mark that shows on the gauge?

Might be a little scary if you put it on the tach and missed a shift! Not sure I'd want to know just how far I over-reved!

Mike

ShelGame
03-30-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm imagining something like a peak marker on your stereo's EQ, or a tattletale needle on a gauge, you know, one that gets moved with the regular needle, but stays at the max value/point the needle went to... Maybe a red (or other contrasting color) hash mark that shows on the gauge?

Might be a little scary if you put it on the tach and missed a shift! Not sure I'd want to know just how far I over-reved!

Mike

That's a nice idea...

wowzer
03-30-2012, 11:29 PM
will do. i know the old mpscan kept track of the min/max for certain gauges. maybe just a tick mark like was mentioned might be enough.

Force Fed Mopar
03-31-2012, 07:57 AM
will do. i know the old mpscan kept track of the min/max for certain gauges. maybe just a tick mark like was mentioned might be enough.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant, just something to show you what the peak reading was. I said secondary number because the digital gauges don't have ticks though.

Also, I changed the decimals to 2 in the Ram Location, but the O2Volts still doesn't show 2 decimals?

Force Fed Mopar
03-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Here is a start-up log from yesterday morning.

wowzer
03-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Also, I changed the decimals to 2 in the Ram Location, but the O2Volts still doesn't show 2 decimals?

that changes it permanently for future configuration files. however you need to go back into the display configuration file and edit the gauge format to be "#0.00" or worst case, just reselect the gauge location from the drop down box and it should update the format for you.

Force Fed Mopar
03-31-2012, 07:21 PM
that changes it permanently for future configuration files. however you need to go back into the display configuration file and edit the gauge format to be "#0.00" or worst case, just reselect the gauge location from the drop down box and it should update the format for you.

I tried reselecting, didn't work. I'll check the format.

wowzer
03-31-2012, 09:11 PM
I tried reselecting, didn't work. I'll check the format.

actually, u may have to select another location and then reselect the desired location.

wowzer
04-01-2012, 05:29 PM
i just posted an update (2.0.0.9). this version adds high/low marks for all of the gauges except a "bit" gauge. here is a quick log i did that shows it in action. you need to first let mpscan update to the new version. then run the log. it took me a few seconds to actually start moving the gauge so be patient!

lmk what u think.

Force Fed Mopar
04-02-2012, 07:48 AM
i just posted an update (2.0.0.9). this version adds high/low marks for all of the gauges except a "bit" gauge. here is a quick log i did that shows it in action. you need to first let mpscan update to the new version. then run the log. it took me a few seconds to actually start moving the gauge so be patient!

lmk what u think.

That works nicely :thumb:

wowzer
04-02-2012, 02:41 PM
ok great - i hope the "dots" are ok for markers. it ends up being alot simpler than trying to draw a fancy arrow, or custom tick mark. but, if the consensus is contrary, i can easily change it to some other "look".

Force Fed Mopar
04-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Any way you could make so that in playback you can see the timeline and click the time you want to view?

i assume you are talking about mpscan2 ;-) btw, when a graph is displayed you can pause the playback, click and hold the mouse down on the scrolling graph, and then move over the graph to see the values for the different points. can you be more specific how you envision this working?

Like, when I do a long log, like a drive to town (10 mins maybe), I'd like to be able to click on a timeline at the point where I want to watch, instead of having to just fast forward. Even just having a visual idea of far along the timeline it is would be helpful. Like a bar at the top w/ a dot that moves along as it plays or something.

wowzer
04-16-2012, 10:05 AM
yep - i can do that. it does show which sample you are on at the bottom ("sample xx of xxxx") but there is no easy way to get to a specific point other than fast forwarding.

wowzer
04-17-2012, 11:35 PM
updated tonight. when you pause during playback you can double click the text box on the menu that shows the current sample being displayed. you can then enter any sample number and it will take you to that exact spot.

Force Fed Mopar
04-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Will try it out.

GLHNSLHT2
04-21-2012, 12:53 PM
wrong thread

Force Fed Mopar
05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Here's another driving log I took. I think something is up with my knock sensor circuit, wasn't reading on this run but seemed to work later. Also, when the engine is off the MAP reads -2" of vacuum, something off with the multiplier or breakpoints maybe?

On the pulsewidth, you think maybe that it is in micro seconds? I am running 3-bar w/ 58lb injectors, so the idle pulsewidth would be a lot lower than stock 30ish lb injectors.

Oh, and the sample selector box works good, I like the Prev/Next buttons.

wowzer
05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
rob M - if your testing is done you should set the logging rate back to 75-100 mSecs or so so there aren't SO many samples for the program to digest. i see that displaying the graph brings the system to its knees with that many samples. i need to fix that. i'll try to look at how you have the gauges set up to see if i can determine what's up with the pw and some of the other settings.

my development computer has crashed so i will need to get that up and running again before i can help you much with the scanning program. if the key is off the data you are getting is bogus. however, it should work once the key is on but the car isn't running.

Force Fed Mopar
05-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Key on, engine off, it reads -2 inHg. I'll reset the log rate. Lmk if you want me to log different parameters for testing. As for the pulsewidth gauges, I have not done anything to the gauge settings. Just selected the gauge and told t what address to read from.

wowzer
05-02-2012, 11:29 AM
rob L and I were working on the pulsewidth issue some time back. don't know if we ever really came to a resolution on the correct numbers to use for the ecu min/max for mpscan at least. i see your min/max settings for both the INJPW and PTPW locations is 0/49152. i think they should be set to 0/131072. looking at the code, however, it looks like it should be 0/262144 but that seemed to give bad values.

you should change your ram location file setup for those two items to use 131072 for the ecu max value. you will then need to go into your display layout setup, edit the gauge and change the location to a different location and then back to the correct location so it updates the gauge settings. alternatively, you could edit the .MPc file directly and change the ecu values from 49152 to 131072.

also, the baro pressure reading is 1 psi for most of the run. the underlying data actually is a value of 88. i think the baro gauge should maybe go from 0 to 44.1 vs -14.7 to 29.4. also maybe set the multiplier to 2.036254 so it reports everything in inHg. so, using the value of 88 and the new settings it would return a baro reading of around 30.9 inHG (although that seems kinda high). maybe you could check next time what the actually barometric pressure is and see how it matches up.

i purchased a new development computer yesterday so will try to get everything reloaded and determine why the map shows the -2 with the key on, engine off.

Force Fed Mopar
05-02-2012, 10:35 PM
rob L and I were working on the pulsewidth issue some time back. don't know if we ever really came to a resolution on the correct numbers to use for the ecu min/max for mpscan at least. i see your min/max settings for both the INJPW and PTPW locations is 0/49152. i think they should be set to 0/131072. looking at the code, however, it looks like it should be 0/262144 but that seemed to give bad values.

you should change your ram location file setup for those two items to use 131072 for the ecu max value. you will then need to go into your display layout setup, edit the gauge and change the location to a different location and then back to the correct location so it updates the gauge settings. alternatively, you could edit the .MPc file directly and change the ecu values from 49152 to 131072.

also, the baro pressure reading is 1 psi for most of the run. the underlying data actually is a value of 88. i think the baro gauge should maybe go from 0 to 44.1 vs -14.7 to 29.4. also maybe set the multiplier to 2.036254 so it reports everything in inHg. so, using the value of 88 and the new settings it would return a baro reading of around 30.9 inHG (although that seems kinda high). maybe you could check next time what the actually barometric pressure is and see how it matches up.

i purchased a new development computer yesterday so will try to get everything reloaded and determine why the map shows the -2 with the key on, engine off.

Okay I'll try that stuff. I didn't even think about it being 0-44 psi. When you look at the boost target tables, they go up to 44. Maybe for the Map Value we should put in 0-44 also? And then set the gauge lower breakpoint to 14.7 instead of 0 for reading vacuum? Maybe that's why it says -2 InHg with the key on, engine off?

wowzer
05-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Thinking of what else i should do with MPScan. One item would be to see if there is any interest in incorporating actuator test mode (ATM) in the program. So hopefully this would work similar to a DRB scanner. There are also some drb code options to do switch tests (brake, neutral, a/c, speed sensor i think) and to reset the emr mileage light and erase error codes.

Input? Suggestions?

(I still would like to get the wideband interface done but the summer projects are getting stacked up already at home!!)

zin
05-08-2012, 03:22 PM
All of the above! :lol:

Mike

ShelGame
07-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Morris - Ran into this error today - 40797

I created a display on my work PC, and it gets sync'd with my laptop and home PC thru DropBox. But, when i try to open the display at home, I get this error. It seems to still be looking for the RAM setup on my thumbdrive, not in the relative folder...

wowzer
07-25-2012, 10:24 PM
rob - what menu are you in when you get this message, ie what exactly are you doing? i save all the files (at this point) using absolute addresses. for now, if you edit the .mpc file with a text editor you should be able to find the xml line <RamFileUsed> and modify the path to the new path of the ram file location.

ShelGame
07-26-2012, 08:04 AM
rob - what menu are you in when you get this message, ie what exactly are you doing? i save all the files (at this point) using absolute addresses. for now, if you edit the .mpc file with a text editor you should be able to find the xml line <RamFileUsed> and modify the path to the new path of the ram file location.

Try to open/edit the display setup. I tried to log using the same setup, but it kept giving me an error that it couldn't connect to the car, and to key-off and back on and try again. But, that didn't work. I assume, now, that it wouldn't connect because of the RAM settings location.

I'll fix the .mpc file manually and try again tonight...

ShelGame
07-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Morris - after using MP Scan/MP Tune at the track this weekend, I had a thought...

I was testing my new staging limiter and PEFTBL code (both of which seem to work fine, BTW) and found I was having to change between MP Tune and MP Scan every time I changed the cal.

For example, flash the cal, close MP Tune, open MP Scan, log the run, check the run, close MP Scan, open MP Tune, change the cal, flash the cal, close MP Tune, open MP Scan, and repeat.

I found that if I try to leave MP Tune open, MP Scan can't see the FTDI cable. I assume because MP Tune has control of it. If there was some way they could 'share' the connection that would be great. I think then, that I could leave them both open. Not sure if that's possible or not? Maybe a button in each program that would be used to allow the other program to use the FTDI connection?

zin
07-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Just a thought... what about combining the two programs into one?... Perhaps as a utility in MPtune?

May be wishful thinking, but seems like a natural way to go...

Mike

wowzer
07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Morris - after using MP Scan/MP Tune at the track this weekend, I had a thought...

I was testing my new staging limiter and PEFTBL code (both of which seem to work fine, BTW) and found I was having to change between MP Tune and MP Scan every time I changed the cal.

For example, flash the cal, close MP Tune, open MP Scan, log the run, check the run, close MP Scan, open MP Tune, change the cal, flash the cal, close MP Tune, open MP Scan, and repeat.

I found that if I try to leave MP Tune open, MP Scan can't see the FTDI cable. I assume because MP Tune has control of it. If there was some way they could 'share' the connection that would be great. I think then, that I could leave them both open. Not sure if that's possible or not? Maybe a button in each program that would be used to allow the other program to use the FTDI connection?

rob - i'll need to set my smecstim stuff back up (wife made me clean up the room where i had it all spread out!!) and see why it won't let you have both open and access the ftdi cable. in mptune after a bin is read or flashed/verified the ftdi port is specifically closed. same with mpscan when the "stop" button is pushed. maybe i need to make a windows general serial port close call also. i'll take a look.

ShelGame
07-30-2012, 09:59 PM
rob - i'll need to set my smecstim stuff back up (wife made me clean up the room where i had it all spread out!!) and see why it won't let you have both open and access the ftdi cable. in mptune after a bin is read or flashed/verified the ftdi port is specifically closed. same with mpscan when the "stop" button is pushed. maybe i need to make a windows general serial port close call also. i'll take a look.

When I tried it last, MP Scan simply didn't find a port to use if MP Tune was open. But, I have to admit, I didn't try it again this weekend. And, that might have been with MP Scan 1. Let me give it a shot again tomorrow night and see if it works now...

BadAssPerformance
07-31-2012, 08:17 AM
Thread Stuck :thumb:

wowzer
09-06-2012, 09:09 AM
posted a new version. check the version history for details.

ShelGame
09-06-2012, 09:30 AM
posted a new version. check the version history for details.

Looks good. I have a new version of my spark-cut limiter to try, I'll use the new version to log it.

Any more progress on the auto-trigger thing I mentioned before? It would be really useful for me if I could set it to automatically start logging when the speed is >1mph and then turn off maybe after a set time? Or maybe start when the WOT flag is set, and stop after? I just want to be able to log a drag run, and there's so many other things going on (burn out, staging, turning on the camera, etc.), it would just be nice to not have to worry about starting and stopping the logging....

wowzer
09-06-2012, 09:36 AM
haven't done anything with it other than think about it!! need to figure out how to handle multiple triggers (and, or, etc) or maybe just limit it to 1 trigger that has an on/off feature. i'm open to suggestions.

at least you can just press the F2 button now to start logging and the F4 button to stop. makes it a little easier but being able to turn it on before you get into the staging lanes and then have it auto activate would be the (MORRIS The) cat's meow.;)

ShelGame
09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
haven't done anything with it other than think about it!! need to figure out how to handle multiple triggers (and, or, etc) or maybe just limit it to 1 trigger that has an on/off feature. i'm open to suggestions.

at least you can just press the F2 button now to start logging and the F4 button to stop. makes it a little easier but being able to turn it on before you get into the staging lanes and then have it auto activate would be the (MORRIS The) cat's meow.;)

I think a single trigger for on/off would work fine - if it can be a flag value. I would use the WOT flag, personally.

wowzer
09-06-2012, 02:07 PM
I thought I would tie it to one specific gauge in the display setup. Then use a function key to activate it. Also have a on off setting.

zin
09-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Often in other data logging programs, the program is buffering the data, over-writing continuously, allowing the data before the trigger to be saved/amended to the trigger point data.

This would be very helpful in a number of instances, but particularly when trying to hunt down intermittent problems by allowing one to hit a trigger just after the incident, and save a "snap shot" of what happened before, during and after the event...

Is this something that could be incorporated?

Mike

csxtra
09-06-2012, 02:37 PM
As far as automatically-triggered logging, when I added this to my home-brewed logging app that I had on my Palm Pilot years ago, I used TPS volts to determine WOT.

When it saw WOT (TPS over 3.6v if I remember right) for two consecutive scans, it started logging. Then, if the TPS volts dropped under 3.6 on a scan, I started a 30 second timer. When that timer expired, I stopped logging. If it saw WOT again before the timer expired, it cancelled the timer and continued logging.

This worked great, kept logging through shifts and caught some frames after shutdown and on the return road to log temperatures etc after the end of the run.

The timer duration of 30 seconds was a trade-off between capturing the burnout and run in one log vs having too many worthless frames at the end of the log.

When I was logging, I would write the frames into memory, and then write the log to disk (or SD) when the timer expired. This was to keep disk (or SD) write operations from interfering with the logging of frames.

I hope this helps,
Warren

wowzer
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Often in other data logging programs, the program is buffering the data, over-writing continuously, allowing the data before the trigger to be saved/amended to the trigger point data.

This would be very helpful in a number of instances, but particularly when trying to hunt down intermittent problems by allowing one to hit a trigger just after the incident, and save a "snap shot" of what happened before, during and after the event...

Is this something that could be incorporated?

Mike

that may work. right now i have scanning set up 2 ways. if you are logging it keeps appending the last sample to a "list". then when you save, it writes the data to the file. if you are scanning but have the logging shut off (added this in the last version) it IS actually logging like normal but instead of appending data it just keeps overwriting the initial sample. i could probably have it set up to capture, say 100 samples or whatever, and then keep overwriting those until a trigger kicks in. actually, could have the sample size a user setting.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

When it saw WOT (TPS over 3.6v if I remember right) for two consecutive scans, it started logging. Then, if the TPS volts dropped under 3.6 on a scan, I started a 30 second timer. When that timer expired, I stopped logging. If it saw WOT again before the timer expired, it cancelled the timer and continued logging.

This worked great, kept logging through shifts and caught some frames after shutdown and on the return road to log temperatures etc after the end of the run.

The timer duration of 30 seconds was a trade-off between capturing the burnout and run in one log vs having too many worthless frames at the end of the log.

When I was logging, I would write the frames into memory, and then write the log to disk (or SD) when the timer expired. This was to keep disk (or SD) write operations from interfering with the logging of frames.

I hope this helps,
Warren

thx, warren. that gives me a good framework to start from.

zin
09-06-2012, 08:05 PM
I'd say have the the cache/buffer be keyed to time more than cycles, or I guess if "X" number of cycles = Y sec, it could be done that way... My thought is that people would want to know that they have X amount of time to "hit the button" if some intermittent problem pops up.

Mike

wowzer
09-11-2012, 04:08 PM
FOR NOW - this is how the trigger is working. in the gauge display setup screen you will select the gauge (addr) to use as the trigger. you also will have to key in two trigger points, one to turn the logging on when the value is exceeded and the other to turn the logging off when the value falls below the set point. e.g. i tested it using rpm to turn on logging above 4000 rpm and stop logging below 1500 rpm. so, eg, at the track you would load up the gauge setup, press f7 to turn on "trigger" mode, then press f2 to start recording. during burnout if your rpm goes above 4000 it would start logging until the rpm dropped down below 1500. then when you stage and floor it, the logging will start again when rpms >= 4000 and log the whole run until you come off the throttle at the end. when you get back to the pits or on the return road you would press f4 to stop the recording process and f5 to save the file.

it is currently being tested and if it looks like it works ok i'll post an update by thursday since i'm heading out of town thur evening for the weekend.

wowzer
09-13-2012, 07:27 PM
i posted 2.0.1.4 that adds the trigger logic. that will give some of you an opportunity to test it this weekend.

let me know if it works for you. at this point i only was able to test it on my smecstim so maybe it will act differently in a vehicle. directions to set it up are in post 177.

wowzer
09-17-2012, 09:15 AM
anybody try the trigger stuff this weekend?

ShelGame
09-17-2012, 09:21 AM
anybody try the trigger stuff this weekend?

I was going to try it at the track this weekend, but I had forgot to re-install the FTDI drivers after re-installing Win7 on my netbook (again). So, I couldn't try it. I have some more launch control testing to do this week, I'll use it then...

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Here's a question - because I haven't actually tried it yet - if you have it set to auto trigger on @1500RPM; and off @1500RPM for example; what happens if the RPM goes over 1500 for a second time? Does it overwrite the first recording?

wowzer
09-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I was going to try it at the track this weekend, but I had forgot to re-install the FTDI drivers after re-installing Win7 on my netbook (again). So, I couldn't try it. I have some more launch control testing to do this week, I'll use it then...

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Here's a question - because I haven't actually tried it yet - if you have it set to auto trigger on @1500RPM; and off @1500RPM for example; what happens if the RPM goes over 1500 for a second time? Does it overwrite the first recording?

it keeps appending the new samples to the end. so, one log file could have multiple trigger sessions, e.g. during the burn out, staging/run, return road, etc. you will need to press stop to complete the log session and then save the log.

ShelGame
09-17-2012, 11:50 AM
it keeps appending the new samples to the end. so, one log file could have multiple trigger sessions, e.g. during the burn out, staging/run, return road, etc. you will need to press stop to complete the log session and then save the log.

OK, that sounds good. I was just hoping it wouldn't overwrite the original samples if the trigger was hit again...

zin
09-17-2012, 12:53 PM
That is actually very nice in my mind, if you think something's wrong, hit the "trigger", and you can easily find the event, because you've marked it with the "trigger"!

Mike

splat_master86
11-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I am having some difficulties getting MPScan to work. I have already setup everything and installed the drivers for the FTDI cable but i keep getting the error, "Unable to open/setup port. Try turning key off and then back on."

ShelGame
11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
I am having some difficulties getting MPScan to work. I have already setup everything and installed the drivers for the FTDI cable but i keep getting the error, "Unable to open/setup port. Try turning key off and then back on."

Does the FTDI cable show up as a port in Windows?

splat_master86
11-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Yes. i already setup the chip according to this forum.

wowzer
11-15-2012, 03:56 PM
so when you go into device manager and look at the com ports the ftdi port shows up? have you tried rebooting your computer? make sure in the ftdi com port settings in the device manager has the "vcm" option checked also. if the ftdi com port is not auto detected when you start mptune/mpscan something is wrong in windows. which version of windows? when you unplug/plug in the ftdi cable does it make the "clunk" sound?

splat_master86
11-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Yea windows def sees the usb cable and recognizes it. win7 by the way. both programs recognize whether the cable is plugged in or not. i will check the vcm thing and try again.

wowzer
11-16-2012, 02:16 PM
here is what you should be looking for:

when mpscan/mptune starts you should see the com port and baud rates on the bottom.

splat_master86
11-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Hey I have the same settings for USB serial converter. I see the com port and baud rates on mpscan/mptune. I have always seen those. i have tried reading the smec chip but i dont know if the car goes into boot mode cause the previous owner took out stock fuel wiring so i cant hear if it primes or not.

splat_master86
11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
So i tried the cable with 2 other laptops running win7 and i still get the same error. could the cable be bad?

ShelGame
11-21-2012, 01:25 PM
So i tried the cable with 2 other laptops running win7 and i still get the same error. could the cable be bad?

It could be. But, I've never had a problem with them not working when they register in windows as a port. You can send it back and ill replace if you want.

splat_master86
11-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Well let me make sure it is not something I setup wrong. The ecu baud is 62500 and the boot baud is 7812. I have the high current and the invert txd and rxd checked. I looked though the rest of the settings and on IO controls they all say SLEEP#, should they say that?

wowzer
11-22-2012, 01:48 AM

here are the settings on my ftdi cable

shackwrrr
12-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Just got the FTDI cable and hooked it up, works great. I even caught some info that I was missing and it helped my diagnose my leaning out.

I am unsure if anyone else has asked for this or if you are even able, how hard would it be to add techedge wideband datalogging? Trying to see the wideband and the screen at the same time as watching the road is pretty hard.

Here is techedge's website where they explain their serial workings, hopefully it will help.

http://wbo2.com/sw/logger.htm

I (http://wbo2.com/sw/logger.htm)f I were on LM I could use Winlog as I have a full license for it and it is the native datalogger for TE, But I am on Smec and winlog is pretty old.

Thanks for all the development and support you provide for all this stuff, Modernization of these 80's ECU's is really nice. Now I get to explain to everyone that no it doesn't flash "danger to manifold"

splat_master86
12-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Yea used these settings as well and still gets same error message

Dez
05-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I received my generic cable, today. Hooked it up & everything is working great!

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Yea windows def sees the usb cable and recognizes it. win7 by the way. both programs recognize whether the cable is plugged in or not. i will check the vcm thing and try again.

My cable does not do that. Once it is disconnected it disappears from my device manager, until I reconnect it.

Joe_Van_Duno
05-10-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm hoping this is a quick easy fix, but I'm having a problem when I open up MPscan it doesn't see any ports. I've installed the drivers that were suggested on a previous post, but when I open mp scan it doesn't see anything. I know it's on my laptop, because the desktop see's active ports. Any tips are appreciated I'm about ready to pull my hair out, I hate computer b.s.

Joe

wowzer
05-10-2013, 07:28 PM
make sure that you have checked the 'load vcp' in the driver setup. I'm not close to a computer until Sunday night so I can't be much help until then. look back through the last few pages of posts at some of the screen shots and make sure you have your cable set up correctly. if it doesn't find the cable when the program starts you have a config problem.

Joe_Van_Duno
05-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Darn it, that was it. The "load vcp" wasn't checked. Whats annoying is that I read right though that section and even looked at the pictures before I posted the question, but it just wasn't clicking with me. I'm thinking it was the fustration. It's all working now, ran a quick log just checking tps volts, and it recorded, saved, and played back with issues.

Thanks

wowzer
05-10-2013, 09:48 PM
it played back with or without issues?

Joe_Van_Duno
05-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Played back with no issues. I've made a few logs today and it's pretty cool. Somehow I lost my original dashboard. I somehow deleted it but besides that I'm figuring this out.

1BADVAN
05-11-2013, 10:33 PM

here are the settings on my ftdi cable

What program is this? And where can I get it?

Dez
05-11-2013, 11:51 PM
What program is this? And where can I get it?

Program is called, FTprog. http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_Prog

krut
06-20-2013, 02:14 PM
I tried configuring the map value gauge to show vacuum per the instructions, and it still does not display the gauge correctly. Are there additional configuration changes needed? Also, is there a way to trim the highs and lows out of the gauges? For example, bringing the rpm gauge down to 7000 from the default 8000. Or the o2 sensor voltage gauge to 0-1v?

wowzer
06-20-2013, 03:20 PM
1- to set the gauge display highs/lows you need to modify the ram location grid before you add the gauges. there are a couple columns that say what the upper and lower display values should be.

2- i believe to get the map gauge to show vac you need to edit the gauge after you have selected the ecu location for the gauge (i.e. the map value location). at a min you need to change the lower breakpoint value to 0 and set the lower break point multiplier to approx 2.03625437. also i think you can change the lower break point units name(?). look at post 116 for an example.

Force Fed Mopar
06-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Tried using MPScan again tonight and I keep getting "Unable to open port"? Say to try turning the key off and on again, but that doesn't help. Green and red led's are lit on my FTDI board.

krut
06-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Tried using MPScan again tonight and I keep getting "Unable to open port"? Say to try turning the key off and on again, but that doesn't help. Green and red led's are lit on my FTDI board.
I ran into this when I first set mpscan up. Turned out there is an interface setting in the program, and for my 89 2.5t1, I had to set it to smec t1, not t2. Maybe it is that?

wowzer
06-21-2013, 01:00 PM
rob - what does the task bar say on the bottom when you start the program, ie. does it show a port? when you plug/unplug the ftdi cable does it clunk or show that it is connected? is the vcp option turned on in the ftdi driver setup options?

Force Fed Mopar
06-22-2013, 09:03 AM
I ran into this when I first set mpscan up. Turned out there is an interface setting in the program, and for my 89 2.5t1, I had to set it to smec t1, not t2. Maybe it is that?

It is set to T1 and COM5.

rob - what does the task bar say on the bottom when you start the program, ie. does it show a port? when you plug/unplug the ftdi cable does it clunk or show that it is connected? is the vcp option turned on in the ftdi driver setup options?

It shows being connected. I'll hook it up in a bit and take a screenshot or two.

krut
06-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Wowzer,
I just peaked into the ram locations setting and was able to play with some mins and maxes. However, when changing the settings on the ram location for MapValue per post 116, it still does not display InHG. I have everything set up per the screenshot. Any idea? Thanks

wowzer
06-24-2013, 09:24 AM
hmm. can you post a shot of the settings for your map gauge, in particular the ones under gauge display. the "ram" locations file is basically the template that is used when creating the display layout. once you create the layout all the info is stored in the layout file, and it doesn't reference the ram locations file anymore. so changing info in the ram locations file will not update the display layout file UNLESS you delete the gauge and re-add it.

also, if you want you can post your .mpc file and i'll take a look at it.

krut
06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Here is a screenshot of the settings. http://krutbox.net/~kurt/MapSettings.png
Thanks for looking.

wowzer
06-24-2013, 08:45 PM
it appears your map gauge only runs from 0psi to 30psi. i think you need to change the ram location settings from ecu min/max of 0 and 30 respectively to -14.7 and 14.7 respectively. also change the display min/max to -15/15. save the updated ram locations data, go back into the display layout, delete the map value gauge and then readd it. hopefully it will then show -15 psi to 15 psi. then your settings should work

iangoround
06-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Can MPScan read from an Innovate wideband simultaneously with the ecu via two com ports?

I haven't messed around with my car for several months, and I don't recall if that was ever an option when I was doing it.

krut
06-24-2013, 08:58 PM
I do have the ecumin / max set to -14.7/15, and the min/max display at -15/15, which is why I'm confused...

** Edit** Nevermind. Even though I even tried a new template, when the mapvalue was set as default so I didn't have to search for it, it wouldn't refresh until picking another gauge, and going back to it.

Aries_Turbo
06-25-2013, 08:39 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008AVPE6Q/ref=pd_aw_sbs_misc_4?pi=SL500_SY115

Has anyone tried something like this to connect to our ecu's via Bluetooth? The price is a lot better than some of the Bluetooth to rs232 adapters out there.

ShelGame
06-25-2013, 09:21 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008AVPE6Q/ref=pd_aw_sbs_misc_4?pi=SL500_SY115

Has anyone tried something like this to connect to our ecu's via Bluetooth? The price is a lot better than some of the Bluetooth to rs232 adapters out there.

Wow, that's pretty cheap. Need more documentation to know if it will work. Not all BT-UART adapters support the odd baud rates that out ECU's use...

I think Morris has tried the RN-41/42 BT adapters. They DO support the odd baud rates. I have one of those as well, but not yet done anything with it...

wowzer
06-25-2013, 09:38 AM
as rob mentioned, the vast majority of the bluetooth connectors don't support our unique baud rates used by the ecu. also, they need to be able to support changing baud rates on the fly versus just running a baud rate based on a dip switch setting. the roving networks stuff did work quite well once i figured it out after MANY calls to them. once rob and I get the android program working well it will be a fairly easy thing to support the bluetooth side of things, especially since i've already had it working once and secondly because the software we are using has been updated significantly over the last year or so.

Aries_Turbo
06-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Hmm the roving one isn't terrible price wise. Once the droid stuff is working ill probably buy one.

wowzer
06-25-2013, 10:21 AM
i actually bought the rn240 if i remember since it was a complete unit that had the rs232 connector as well as being powered by an external source. i'm sure one of you electronics geeks could make a cheaper unit using the actual bluetooth module. you will also need a ttl converter to connect to the ecu, just like the old days. what would be nice is a unit that uses a rn module incorporated with an inverter (max232?) all in one nice package.

Aries_Turbo
06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
If you did just the RN module without the serial converter wouldn't it just be ttl straight to Bluetooth?

wowzer
06-25-2013, 12:36 PM
i'm meant to say a ttl inverter. the ftdi cable allows you to invert the tx and rx signals. the rn module needs to use a separate ttl inverter. i think i got my original kit around 2005 (jay maybe?) and another from rob some time ago i believe. there's probably a cheap unit on ebay somewhere or maybe someone here still makes them.

Force Fed Mopar
06-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Screenshot

wowzer
06-26-2013, 11:51 AM
hmm - it all looks ok. does mptune still allow you to read/write bins? do you have anything else plugged into your usb ports?

Force Fed Mopar
06-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Yeah MPTune still works, and no just have the FTDI hooked up when I try to log.

wowzer
06-27-2013, 09:47 AM
wonder if something broke in the last update. i'll hook up my system tonight and try it. does mptune show the same com port number and settings?

anybody else having problems with this last update?

iangoround
06-27-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm getting the same unable to open/setup port error. I thought maybe it was some setting I had wrong, but the logworks plugin works fine with my logic module.

Force Fed Mopar
06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
wonder if something broke in the last update. i'll hook up my system tonight and try it. does mptune show the same com port number and settings?

anybody else having problems with this last update?

When I plug the Burn2 up it says "Burn1/2 found on Port Com 6". It always works fine. I don't have MPTune loaded when I'm trying to log though.

wowzer
06-27-2013, 01:01 PM
mpscan should use the same port as mptune (assuming you use the same ftdi cable!) i assume your burn2 has its own ftdi cable.

Force Fed Mopar
06-27-2013, 09:21 PM
The Burn2 just uses a regular USB cable. To log in the car I have an FTDI board that has the wires running to the diag plug under the hood on one side, and a regular USB cable plugs into the other side. Board has red and green lights on it.

iangoround
06-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Here's what I've got:

using an FTDI cable with leads soldered to the appropriate pins inside the LM, I can get it to start logging about 25% of the time. If it works, it works fine. If I stop logging and try to start again, it comes up with the "unable to open/setup com port" error. If MPScan isn't the first program to try using the com port after starting the computer, it gives me the error and I can fix it by restarting the computer. Sometimes when it gives the error, unplugging the cable and swapping USB ports while MPScan is open will fix it, however that only works once per computer boot. Every once in a while cycling the key on the car will allow it to work, but only if I get the error on initial startup.
Also, none of the actuator tests seem to work for me. In fact, usually when I try them I come up with an unhandled exception. I can't pull error codes either. This is the error that comes up with the actuator test:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Offset and length were out of bounds for the array or count is greater than the number of elements from index to the end of the source collection.
at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at MPScan.frmDRBAtm.EcuInterface(Byte[] bytestosend)
at MPScan.frmDRBAtm.btnStart_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MPScan
Win32 Version: 2.0.1.5
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MP%20Suite/MPScan/MPScan.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
C1.C1Flash.2
Assembly Version: 2.0.20113.87
Win32 Version: 2.0.20113.87
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MP%20Suite/MPScan/C1.C1Flash.2.DLL
gzay8beh
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
FTD2XX_NET
Assembly Version: 1.0.10.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.10.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MP%20Suite/MPScan/FTD2XX_NET.DLL
System.Management
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
fot2g-3x

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

This one popped up when I clicked the "open" icon in the toolbar after closing and reopening the program:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at MPScan.ScanMain.OpenToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Obje ct key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(Event Args e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(Eve ntArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(M ouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventIntera ctive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(Event Args e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEven tArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
MPScan
Win32 Version: 2.0.1.5
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MP%20Suite/MPScan/MPScan.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
C1.C1Flash.2
Assembly Version: 2.0.20113.87
Win32 Version: 2.0.20113.87
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MP%20Suite/MPScan/C1.C1Flash.2.DLL
lus1csek
FTD2XX_NET
Assembly Version: 1.0.10.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.10.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/MP%20Suite/MPScan/FTD2XX_NET.DLL
System.Management
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

http://i.imgur.com/iJDxgzz.png
http://i.imgur.com/lUKb11i.png (http://imgur.com/lUKb11i)

iangoround
06-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Oh yeah, I've found that if there is more than one FTDI device on the computer it gives the same "unable to open/setup com port" error even if you've selected the correct com port in the setup. The usb-serial convertor I use for my LC-1 confuses it for some reason.

wowzer
06-28-2013, 09:58 AM
i'll try to spend some time with it this weekend. sorry. don't know why it would quit working.

the actuator stuff has never been tested. i started working on it using my smecstim but never really completed the testing nor hooked it up on my charger or van. i should have disabled the menu options but didn't. i did buy a drb 2 some time back and hope to capture it's protocol with my saleae analyzer later this summer. and, i think the LM protocol is a little different. i only set up the smec stuff at this point for the actuator stuff.

iangoround
06-28-2013, 03:28 PM
I just realized I wasn't running the latest version of .net on that machine. I've updated it but haven't gone back out to the garage to see if it makes anything play nicer.

wowzer
06-30-2013, 11:59 AM
force fed / iangoround - are you still having issues?

i tried it this morning on my smecstim using both a win7 and win xp machine and it seemed to work ok. the main thing is to 1) have the ftdi cable plugged in before starting mpscan, 2) make sure the vcp option in the driver is set 3) confirm which com port the ftdi cable is really on and 4) make sure you select that com port in the com port settings screen.

i have some logic in mptune that keeps track of plugging/unplugging a usb cable. i'll look at adding that to mpscan. i did plug in my burn2 which also uses the ftdi cable and it can cause confusion if you do not select the correct com port in the settings screen. since we do not force users to create a unique id for their ftdi cable i cannot automatically differentiate which ftdi cable is the one to use for mpscan. that is why you need to make sure you select the right com port. the lc1, hptuners, burn2 etc use device specific names that their software can identify.

lmk.

Force Fed Mopar
06-30-2013, 06:51 PM
I'll try it again and report back.

wheming
06-30-2013, 07:13 PM
I tried out MPScan and it was working for me.
Then I downloaded the update and ran it again. Worked again. I did need to start up and and verify com port and like you said the cable needs to be connected first. Before opening MPScan.

Now I just need to get through some of the setup literature/posts to get my gauges set up properly.

wowzer
06-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Now I just need to get through some of the setup literature/posts to get my gauges set up properly.

it is a bit overwhelming at first. the main thing is to get the ram locations set up properly, e.g. decimals, display min/max, etc. then its just a matter of creating a "layout" using the ram location file you created and saving that layout. you should be ready to go after that.

if you do set up a gauge type and customize it, there is an option when you right click on the gauge to save it as the default style. that way, the next time you add that gauge type it should initially set it up using your custom settings.

wheming
07-01-2013, 11:29 AM
it is a bit overwhelming at first. the main thing is to get the ram locations set up properly, e.g. decimals, display min/max, etc. then its just a matter of creating a "layout" using the ram location file you created and saving that layout. you should be ready to go after that.

if you do set up a gauge type and customize it, there is an option when you right click on the gauge to save it as the default style. that way, the next time you add that gauge type it should initially set it up using your custom settings.

Ok, I think that is the tidbit I missed. I used an imported .lst for my ram locations but I didn't do anything to that file. I need to go back and adjust min/max's in that table for them to have the proper displayed scale? I was right clicking on gauges to try and adjust but couldn't see anything that would do it.
I'll give that a look.
I've got a layout/dashboard saved, I just need to scale my gauges properly.

The wideband selection on adding a gauge is grayed out. I thought we could import the wideband? Or is it not set up for a wideband connected to the same laptop using another usb port? When trying to do so, I select the proper com port but what would be the "save setup" button just says "button1". I thought I had the most up to date rev.
Am I missing a driver or something?

wowzer
07-01-2013, 12:26 PM
the wide band stuff is not setup. at one time i was looking at adding the wideband logging protocols for some of the popular systems, (tech, lc1, etc). then it looked like the best option may be to run it thru the charge temp sensor wiring if available. anyhow, never finished it. also, i tried to get the "calculated" afr to work based on the cal settings but that never panned out either so the "afr" gauge really is bogus at this point also.

oh ya, the "ram" file needs to be setup correctly for the gauges. however, its usually just a 1 time deal so that's good. that is where the min max display stuff will be at.

ShelGame
07-01-2013, 01:13 PM
^^

To add to this, T/SMEC now has an option to input a WB signal to the SMEC using the O2 input. It will then internally convert the WB signal to a NB signal for use in the feedback control. But, more importantly, will allow you to log the actual AFR using MP Scan.

As soon as I get my car running on the SBEC, I'll be adding/releasing that code for the SBEC.

Force Fed Mopar
07-01-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm still getting the same error message. The only Com option it gives me is Com6.

wowzer
07-01-2013, 07:59 PM
rob - i don't know what else to suggest. i assume your logging a smec. make sure that the com port settings show that option. the only thing i can suggest at this time is to try uninstalling mpscan and reinstalling. the fact that mptune works is troubling tho. it basically uses the same logic regarding identifying and setting up ports.

i need to try to determine if others are having problems. i can't seem to reproduce the issue. i'll look at making you a modified version that can provide more info about what may be going on.

Force Fed Mopar
07-02-2013, 09:31 AM
I will double check that I have things plugged up right. I know it is right at the diag plug because I haven't removed it from there since the last time I successfully logged. I was assuming since I saw red and gran lights on the FTDI board that it is plugged into the wires right, but need to double check. I am logging a SMEC, I have it set to the SMEC T1 option.

Jtown
07-07-2013, 01:10 PM
I get the same unable open/setup port error. Using a 232rl cable and followed the usb device data log guide for setup/vcp settings. InvertTXD and InvertRXD have check marks when I go back in. Setup on another computer and get same error. Stock 87 tII lm car with spade terminals at underhood connector. What am I missing here? Edit: Installed winlog with the plugin for the lm, it connects and reads engine temp but the rest of the data is wrong with the ready made dashboard. So it would appear the device is capable of communicating with the car. Also noticed when I try to start a log in mpscan with the engine running the idle goes up before I get the error.

wowzer
07-07-2013, 11:33 PM
jtown / force fed - if you pm an email address i'll send you a test version that will log some of the open port data that i could have you send me to see if i can determine what is happening.

lmk.

- - - Updated - - -

jtown - sent you a test version. make sure you go into the com port settings and select your ecu type and save it. i noticed on the other version that if an ecu had not been initially saved it may use a bogus one.

iangoround
07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
I haven't had a chance to play with it in a while as I've had the wiring harness out of the car and been working on other projects. Now that the harness is back in and it is running nicely, I'll see if I can get some time to hook it back up and see what it does.

force fed / iangoround - are you still having issues?

i tried it this morning on my smecstim using both a win7 and win xp machine and it seemed to work ok. the main thing is to 1) have the ftdi cable plugged in before starting mpscan, 2) make sure the vcp option in the driver is set 3) confirm which com port the ftdi cable is really on and 4) make sure you select that com port in the com port settings screen.

i have some logic in mptune that keeps track of plugging/unplugging a usb cable. i'll look at adding that to mpscan. i did plug in my burn2 which also uses the ftdi cable and it can cause confusion if you do not select the correct com port in the settings screen. since we do not force users to create a unique id for their ftdi cable i cannot automatically differentiate which ftdi cable is the one to use for mpscan. that is why you need to make sure you select the right com port. the lc1, hptuners, burn2 etc use device specific names that their software can identify.

lmk.

MoparStephen
07-11-2013, 03:01 PM
My FTDI cable came in yesterday, but half the damn city of Akron was under a foot of water. If we manage to get a few hours without rain I will try to get my first logging done tonight.

MoparStephen
07-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I followed the guide for configuring the FTDI cable (inverted Tx/Rx lines, etc.). MPScan recognizes my cable successfully upon launch (COM6). The ECU type is set to LM. I created a .lst file using MPTune and my current calibration. When I set up a single gauge as a test, and hit the logging button, I get an error "unable to open port, try turning key on/off". Also, when attempting any of the ECU tests, I can connect to ECU. When I hit Start Test, I get 2 HEX numbers returned, then I get an unhandled xeception (array index out of bounds on the button_click event). I can post screenshots tomorrow.

I did try reversing the Tx/Rx lines going to the diagnostic connector, and none of the tests were able to communicate, so I believe I have everything hooked up properly. I also have the serial end of the cable grounded.