PDA

View Full Version : Progress..... anybody replaced a 1/4 panel?

DeckSetter
06-03-2006, 07:30 PM
So far it's gone from this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/DeckSetter/IMG_8734.jpg

to this....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/DeckSetter/IMG_8737.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/DeckSetter/IMG_8738.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/DeckSetter/IMG_8736.jpg

Got a tail light and a spindle for $30 at the junkyard today. Turns out when it got hit it bent the spindle up pretty good, that's what made the wheel lean over sideways.

Note to Y'all: Insurance adjusters are morons. The guy ACTUALLY TOLD ME (and I QUOTE...), "A shock is really the only thing that can make the wheel sit crooked like that." It's a straight axle with leaf springs, you idiot.

Anyway, I took it down the road and the wheel still wobbles. Looks like I'm going to have to go back for a hub. Going to have to get a new bearing too, mine wants to grab at certain spots.

So anyway, have any of you guys replaced a rear 1/4 panel before? I can't decide if I want to try cutting it out and replacing it myself or just take it to a shop. I saw an episode of TRUCKS! a couple of weeks ago that made replacing partial panels look fairly easy. I'm not going to be able to straighten this one enough around the wheel well lip to make it look good, I could probably get the rest of it smooth enough that a thin layer of bondo would make it look good.

Any suggestions? If it's not THAT difficult I'll probably try it. I'd rather buy the tools, do it myself, and be prepared with tools and knowledge to do another one later than pay someone else to do it.

Also, I think I may have a new solution to the minivan gauge pod problem... more on that later, as I haven't tried the cut & fit quite yet....

87glhs232
06-03-2006, 07:43 PM
If you've never done body work before, replacing a panel thats not bolt on is a bad place to start. Cutting the old one out is easy....aligning, welding and blending the new one is a whole other story.

turbovanmanČ
06-03-2006, 07:53 PM
I can do mechanical in my sleep, weld too but I won't atempt a 1/4 repair. As for you bent rear suspension, if I was you, I would just buy a complete used axle, its probably tweaked that also.

beavis1313
06-04-2006, 02:09 AM
There are a couple of ways to do it both involve welding one way is a little more work but it's the will be easier to do the finishing body work the other way is a little quicker but you will have more filler work to do to the finish body work I can explain one or both ways . I it would be easier for me to explain over the phone am more then willing to help out any way I can. if you want you can pm or email me you number and a good time to call (i have free long distance) or you can call me if you like

DeckSetter
06-04-2006, 07:56 AM
As for you bent rear suspension, if I was you, I would just buy a complete used axle, its probably tweaked that also.

actually I thought about that. I haven't priced one yet though.

There are a couple of ways to do it both involve welding one way is a little more work but it's the will be easier to do the finishing body work the other way is a little quicker but you will have more filler work to do to the finish body work I can explain one or both ways . I it would be easier for me to explain over the phone am more then willing to help out any way I can. if you want you can pm or email me you number and a good time to call (i have free long distance) or you can call me if you like

Thanks! I might take you up on that. I'll probably take it to get some estimates after I get the suspension all fixed. If it's not TOO expensive I'll probably have a shop do it. I'm not too worried about the finish part of it, I've done a LOT of drywall finishing and I'm pretty patient with sanding and trial and error on that kind of stuff. Granted this is different, but I think I could do it... Anyway, the metal work is what concerns me.

Wink
06-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Find an old mini in the JY. Cut a peice larger than what you need for yours. Then remove as little from your van as needed. Pound it out, so that you can about lay it over the peice you got from the yard. Then trace the panel and cut to fit the hole in your van. Tack weld in a few areas just to get it aligned. After you have it positioned where you want it, just keep tack welding it. Don't use long welds, or you will wind up warping the metal. And move from one are to another, to prevent heating the metal in one specific area. After all is welded, just grind off the welds flush, then prime and paint to match.

DeckSetter
06-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Find an old mini in the JY. Cut a peice larger than what you need for yours. Then remove as little from your van as needed. Pound it out, so that you can about lay it over the peice you got from the yard. Then trace the panel and cut to fit the hole in your van. Tack weld in a few areas just to get it aligned. After you have it positioned where you want it, just keep tack welding it. Don't use long welds, or you will wind up warping the metal. And move from one are to another, to prevent heating the metal in one specific area. After all is welded, just grind off the welds flush, then prime and paint to match.

That's about what I figured. I got the back piece the tail light mounts to straight again, so I can just drill a couple of spot welds and replace just part of the side panel. Honestly, it doesn't look THAT difficult... (am I crazy for thinking that?) I just have to buy a MIG welder, which I was thinking about doing anyway (to eventually replace the floor pans in my 280ZX...)

WVRampage
06-04-2006, 07:56 PM
It looks like with a hammer and dolly you could probably make that look almost perfect with out any putty thats how id go with it now and if it looks good then your done with out any welding.

GLHS592
06-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I agree with WVRampage. I've seen much worse than that bumped out to where it just needed a skim coat of body filler.

Clay
06-04-2006, 09:17 PM
yeah, hammer and a dolly. No need to cut that out if you can get to both sides. If there are spots that you cant get to, then find a slide hammer and pull out dents from the outside.

DeckSetter
06-04-2006, 09:48 PM
The lip of the wheel well is the part that concerns me. It's pretty crinkled down low and really hard to get to. I hadn't considered a slide hammer... I'll see if Harbor Freight has one this week.

I picked up a hammer / dolly set a while back to work on some fenders for the ZX. Never got to the fenders (parked the ZX for lack of floor pans & exhaust system) but they're coming in handy now...

beavis1313
06-05-2006, 01:56 AM
well if you are going to use a slide hammer make sure that you weld up the holes after you are done pulling the panel. you don't want to use body filler to cover the holes unless you like rust. The body filler will absorb moisture and cause the steel to rust. the correct way to pull it is to use a stud gun it welds pins to the steel you then pull out the dent by the welded pins

mech1nxh
06-05-2006, 04:12 AM
That's about what I figured. I got the back piece the tail light mounts to straight again, so I can just drill a couple of spot welds and replace just part of the side panel. Honestly, it doesn't look THAT difficult... (am I crazy for thinking that?) I just have to buy a MIG welder, which I was thinking about doing anyway (to eventually replace the floor pans in my 280ZX...)

dont forget to seal the inside of your patch area...(spray on undercoat works )
:)

DeckSetter
06-06-2006, 08:25 PM
bought a slide hammer today... won't get a chance to play with it till thursday at least, probably the weekend....we'll see what happens!