PDA

View Full Version : quick questions: MP head bolts w/ extra washers?

Clay
06-03-2006, 05:35 PM
To use the extra washers or not??

Ive read so many different versions of what they are for, when to use them, when not to use them....... so what do they guys here say??

thanks!

sdac guy
06-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I am pretty sure Bachmann (who once worked at the Direct Connection techline) said it was a mistake in packaging, that never got corrected. But so many folks have distorted that over the years, to say they are needed in some instances.

Now for the ARP bolts, which were mistakenly spec'd out to ARP originally, it is a different story. They are too long and do require the use of 2 washers.

Hmmm, I seem to remember a thread on td.com a year or two ago where it was argued that any upstanding company like ARP would never keep making them too long once the error was pointed out. So they took the problem to ARP, but I never heard of any resolution after that. At the time I bet that nothing would be done to correct the situation. Is it time for me to eat those words, anyone know? Buehler?

Barry

GLHSKEN
06-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Do NOT use...

GLHSKEN
06-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Nope... AFIK... Nothing done Barry

Clay
06-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks Barry, thanks Ken! Exactly the answers I needed, and more! ;)

BadAssPerformance
06-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Yep, packaging... The MP head bolts are identical to the OEM bolts used on most DCX V6's today and they already have the washer sem'ed onto them because that is how Cold Heading (OEM supplier) supplys them to the DCX production lines. I am not sure why they include the additional washers still as they are not needed.

Turbodave
06-04-2006, 10:12 AM
The extra washers are needed to keep my work bench from wobbling on the uneven garage floor. A few of them under the left leg fixed it right up. Other then that I just throw them in the spare bolts bucket.

GLHSKEN
06-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Yep, Never throw them away. 4 of them were used to help mount the air hose reel in my garage... They always seem to come in handy ;)

shadow88
06-04-2006, 12:49 PM
I remember reading the extra washers were for extensively milled heads, ie non-turbo. This was to prevent the bolt from bottoming out in the block when alot of head material was removed. But I like turbo dave's answer.