PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades: Power vs Drivetrain vs Handling

Whorse
12-29-2005, 02:42 AM
My friend and I were discussing this at work, and I'm curious to see what those of you with more experience have to say on this topic.

If you're limited to upgrading one aspect of your car significantly, or just doing small upgrades to the whole car, which is a better investment in your eyes: Upgrading for more power, such as a better intake, intercooler, exhaust, bigger turbo, ported head, backcut valves, etc..., better performing/more durable drivetrain, ie. lighter flywheel, tougher clutch, lighter or stronger drive axles, differentials..., or crisp tight handling with new struts, shocks, tower bars, torsion bars, new bushings, engine mounts, weight distribution, and so on...?

This is all provided your car is in good running order and reasonably stock.

---------------------------------------

Personally I'm partial to upgrading the suspension moderately, namely stiffer shocks and struts, and tower bar, and if I can afford a bit more, improving the quality and performance of my engine without increasing the boost.

In my eyes, a smooth, efficient engine is nicer to drive than an old warn out engine running the highest PSI it can handle without melting.

Tony Hanna
12-29-2005, 05:20 AM
I don't know how to vote. The way I usually approach a new TD is to first check the brakes and get them working to factory spec. Then I go through the steering and suspension and replace any parts necessary to bring everything back to where it should be (no mods, just replacing worn/damaged components). Next would be a good alignment and tires if it needs them.
After that, it's all about the engine and driveline.
I've been really happy with the way my TDs have handled in stock form, but I've never been satisfied with the straight line acceleration of anything I've ever been in. That includes the mid 12 sec. nitroused 4th gen Camaro I used to own.

mech1nxh
12-29-2005, 09:18 AM
challenging the "tree" is a great adrenalin rush, and shaving 1/10's....
but so is being able to "hammer down " into that serpent stretch of asphalt
switchback , at the edge of traction....what a rush!!!!! my humble vote for
susp mods...all available power to the ground and being able to use it is more than half the battle.

BadAssPerformance
12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
POWER BABY!!!

Whorse
12-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Curious how many people who are mostly into power do a fair amount of drag racing, or if the street cars are up for going fast as well.

My96z
12-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Assuming the car is in good running condition, first thing I go for is stright power. I could care less how it handles on curves. Straight line acceleration is where its at. How many times do you get into a good autocrossing match on the street?

But then again I dont care for autocross. I guess it depends on whats your forte'.

Jeff

tvanlant
12-31-2005, 03:25 AM
My GLHS is my daily driver and power is the only thing I'm care about. Unless you go "autocross" frequently, you are going to use your horsepower around town and on weekends alot more than suspension. The only thing I care about drivetrain is making sure it can hold the power you put to it.

turbovanmanČ
12-31-2005, 04:12 AM
A bit of everything. I had to lower my van when I got it, looked like a friggin 4x4-used new struts and adjustable rear shocks.
Then did the basic engine mods and was very happy. Then started to get into it, rear sway bar, bigger wheels-lower profile tires, larger brakes etc. Now I love it, handles awesome and goes like stink.

Hope to see you at Mission in the summer, I hope to finally reach my goals, or it will be detuned and returned to near stock.

Whorse
12-31-2005, 06:39 AM
I hate to keep harping on you, but seriously, change that cal. I swear it's holding you back. That said, good call on the van upgrades. I'd do the same myself.

cordes
12-31-2005, 10:15 AM
I would go for a little bit of everything, as too much power is usless withought suspension and drivetrain mods to put it to the ground.

turbovanmanČ
12-31-2005, 02:27 PM
I hate to keep harping on you, but seriously, change that cal. I swear it's holding you back. That said, good call on the van upgrades. I'd do the same myself.

Trust me, its not the cal, I have ran the stocker and its brutully slow, its my tiny IC, its a frickin cork, lol! That will be gone hopefully in January. :thumb:

85lebaront2
12-31-2005, 04:06 PM
I haven't done much yet with FWD cars, but my previous experiance, power and drivetrain are great if all you want is straight line, ie drag race. For street, you also need handling. I used to be able to outcorner a lot of supposedly much faster cars with my GM RWD diesels. They were pigs on acceleration, but with the F41 sway bars and Konis plus wider tires, they would take an interstate exit at double the posted "safe" speed. I always preferred road racing as in SCCA, that's what the Turismo is being built for.

deuce dodge
01-03-2006, 08:20 PM
well us t2 L body people have power..........:)

But .....nothing quite thrills like the L-body .......... dare i say drifting...maybe power sliding...into that "special" on ramp.

Whorse
01-03-2006, 09:25 PM
FWD Drifting is funny.

cordes
01-03-2006, 09:58 PM
well us t2 L body people have power..........:)

But .....nothing quite thrills like the L-body .......... dare i say drifting...maybe power sliding...into that "special" on ramp.

boy, you have that right. I cant stop smiling after taking a serious off ramp in my omni.

shadow88
01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
My vote goes to power. Yes I do a fair bit of drag racing, and just enough street racing to remind the current sport compact crowd which company did it first. Nothing used to make my morning drive to work more enjoyable than seeing the look on some slack-jawed gm driver as I pass him on the on ramp in 3rd gear SMOKING the tires. And smelling that great smell for the next 2 off ramps.

Anonymous_User
01-06-2006, 09:04 AM
I think I have to go with a bit of everything.

I have a powerful straight line car - its not a Mopar but it does have a big V8. It's a blast to drive, but if your gonna let it breath, you better be pointed straight. It is FAST, but it won't turn for $#%. It sounds mean, but it drinks fuel like there's no tomorrow.

I have the TD to enjoy a quick car that handles well. Being able to zip onto the interstate and accelerate rapidly - mild traffic or no - is a blast..

Mopar_Nutz
01-06-2006, 01:05 PM
In my eyes, a smooth, efficient engine is nicer to drive than an old warn out engine running the highest PSI it can handle without melting.

What are you trying to say? (says the owner of the 322,000km/21 psi Shelby Z)

I'd want a bit of everything ideally. But instead of spending money to make a Daytona handle and go fast. I bought an L body. Stock for stock it would outhandle and outpower the Daytona. Wait till I load the goodies in. As for the order of my upgrades.....whatever's cheap at the time :thumb:

Force Fed Mopar
03-07-2006, 02:56 AM
boy, you have that right. I cant stop smiling after taking a serious off ramp in my omni.

I hear ya, same thing in my 87 'S:thumb: I'm partial to a superb handling car over a straight line monster any day. Drag racing is fun, but really I could care less about having the fastest straight line machine. Any fool can put his foot down and go fast in a straight line. Putting it through the corners fast is where it's at. Nothing like being able to suck up a higher powered car in the twisties:D

Sloride
03-07-2006, 03:15 PM
POWER BABY!!!

Damn Straight:thumb:

Will Martin
03-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I can use two examples, one being my own.

Had a buddy back in Oakland, CA that has a wicked Acura RSX Type S. After throwing thousands of $$$$'s at making it look nice (not too riced out) and some serious power added (turbo and nitrous), the car was a monster to drive. Didn't handle worth anything and took forever to stop. lol He put on a Tien (I think) suspension package and some huge brakes, got it all balanced and the car was really nice and could turn and stop on a dime.

When I got my GLH, it was just a 90 VNT engine swap with 4 wheel disc brakes. Then I upgraded to a 2.5 S60 VNT; bit more power but...nothing that was leaps and bounds over the original. Now look at the things I've done in my signature to the car-it's a totally different beast. The current pads I had on the car used to be able to stop it at a reasonable distance (with vented, cross drilled and sloted rotors). Three times while giving people rides I noticed (besides them gripping the hell out of my arm rest and seat-sorry Simon! LOL) that I had some serious brake fade. They were not up to stopping the car after blasting up to some serious MPH's. So now I've upgraded to some 911 brake pads and steel braided brake lines, and the suspension is MP springs and shocks as well as a strut tower bar. Now I have the power and the ability to stop myself without fear of going past my intended stopping point. Next I'm gonna put on my 1 1/4 swaybar with new bushings and that should complete the package.

IMHO you gotta have a balance, especially on a heavier car.

The S is Silent
03-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah...power baby.

Until you realize the the wicked top end you are putting on the 2.5 in your shelby charger is going to destroy the a555 the first time you put a good deal of power to it. Then you decide you have to pony up and put a 3.50 fd in with an LSD into your freshly rebuilt a555.

Oh well, back to Cliff. :-D You can't use power unless you have the trans to put it down.

85glht
03-07-2006, 08:18 PM
POWER BABY!!!

I couldn't agree more:thumb: