PDA

View Full Version : Silly lock cylinder question...

iraceitall
03-20-2010, 09:56 PM
How the heck do you get it out?! My 86 GTS has no keys anymore, so I was going to quickly take the lock cylinder from my non-running 87 Lancer (that has a broken tilt column anyway) and use it. But, I can't get it out! My book says remove the cover, but it's one piece (or looks it) not top-and-bottom. So, how do I get in there and get it out???

rare_ram
03-20-2010, 10:18 PM
You need a special tool.

iraceitall
03-20-2010, 10:26 PM
How about a 4lb sledge...

iraceitall
03-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Maybe I'll just put the non-tilt column in it now...

Aries_Turbo
03-20-2010, 11:50 PM
i replaced one in my 87 daytona...

take the steering wheel off, push the wheel hub thing down and remove the clip that holds it to the steering shaft, slide the hub thing off. i cant remember if this is after or before taking apart the turn signal mechanism. at some point you do that. :)

then you reach a straight edge screwdriver in there and push the retaining lock in and pull the lock cylinder out. the new one slides right in at that point.

then i reinstalled everything. the clip on the shaft sucks balls.

brian

x.Gen
03-21-2010, 01:01 AM
turn signal assembly is removed after the lock ring is taken off. to the OP, you have to mostly disassemble the column to get at the lock cylinder...don't even bother trying this without the lock ring tool, this cuts the time at task down massively.

this is a tilt column, correct? the column cover is molded plastic, there is a less than visible split where the cover mounts, about halfway - the cover is the front part. at first it won't look like you can do anything with it, but if you squeeze the top and bottom you'll see it is somewhat pliable. if I remember correctly, the winning move was squeezing the outside of the cover (top/bottom), and trying to separate forward/downwards from the column - the motion would be towards the dash if the column is in the car. it looks like you'll do damage getting it off, for the most part you won't - but good luck getting it back on without some mangling, the motion was reversed of removal, but not nearly as easy.

http://www.buickperformance.com/tiltsteeringcolumnwobble.htm

that was one of the pages I read when I tightened my column up a couple months back. the images helped a lot more than just the manual, it really helps understanding the internal layout before you hit it. it will make more sense to you if you filter thru this slowly before you go at the column. if you search, I'm pretty sure you'll find these are saginaw columns and even though most of what you'll find on the web is GM, it is relevant. once you've done it, you'll be able to get thru it pretty quick, just don't rush the first time. doing the lock cylinder is MUCH easier than messing with the tilt, but I would make sure the tilt is tight before I go at it - once these loosen up, the play increases REAL quick. you'll want to do that if the tilt is even remotely loose, well worth the time since you'll have it apart anyhow.

iraceitall
03-21-2010, 09:23 PM
I was going to just replace the column with non-tilt, mainly because the tilt column is way wobbly, but I'll see if i can't fix it first then. Thanks for all the info!