PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler piping

ShelbyMopar
06-03-2006, 04:56 AM
Hey, I remounted the stock intercooler up front on my '89 Daytona Shelby, and I bought some 2 1/4" Rad hose and got afew 2 1/4 Bends made at an exhaust shop, not mandrel, just press-bent. Will the hose size or the bends restrict that much air? It seems to be working great, but just wanted to know. Originally was using the Mitsu, but I've got a Garrett TII w/ 3" swingvalve going in next week hopefully. :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
06-03-2006, 12:05 PM
on the mitsu probably not :) It'll work fine with the garrett but it's not the best setup as I'm sure you're aware. If you want cheap, and high flow get some straight 2.5" pipe. Go down to the J-yard and look at the 3.0V6 chrysler motors. Grab the hose that goes from the Airbox to the TB and cut to your desired bends. They're 2.5" i/d the whole way on the 87-88 years and they neck down right at the TB on the 89+ years so you can use that section to clamp onto your stock TB and turbo outlet. Then the rest slides right over the piping. Your bends will be all mandrel shaped, won't be turbulence where they meet the pipes and mine hold 80psi (yes 80) with no lip on the pipe and just a single worm gear clamp. I plumbed in my whole cummins i/c for less than $20 this way. I think it also looks great.

ShelbyMopar
06-03-2006, 03:49 PM
That sounds like a pretty high-flowing system. I was thinking just upgrading to afew mandrel bent 2 1/4" pieces instead of press-bends. The diameter doesn't make too much of a difference, does it?

cordes
06-03-2006, 04:01 PM
the dia wont make a huge difference with a stock cooler.

ShelbyMopar
06-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I plan on upgrading to an SRT-4 cooler pretty soon though. I'll probably need a coupler to attach the 2 1/4 pipe to the 2 1/2" inlet/outlet on the cooler though, or maybe the rad hose can stretch that much. I imagine with mandrel pipes it should flow much better.

cordes
06-03-2006, 04:35 PM
You will have a very rough time trying to stretch the 2.25 coupler over the 2.5in oval side of the SRT4 IC. That one is a doozie.

ShelbyMopar
06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, probably have to make a coupler or upgrade the entire system. Just spent about $100 bucks on all the rad hose and bends and everything though, so I'm not too keen on wasting it just yet. Its tough to find a junkyard around here too, none of them seem to have turbo-dodges, but maybe I can find afew of the 3.0L hoses. GLH, do you have any pics of your system? Man, wish I would have done the 2.5" route to begin with.

GLHNSLHT2
06-03-2006, 08:33 PM
The server my pics are on is down at the moment. Just imagine 2.5" straight exhaust pipe with nice mandrel round rubber curves. I've done one setup with aluminum 2.5" pipe that polished up nicely and have plans to do mine in aluminum with a coating of black chrome over them.

ShelbyMopar
06-04-2006, 05:36 AM
Sounds nice, please let me know when the pics are up again, I would like to check out your setup =)