PDA

View Full Version : Window Scrappers

Frank
03-18-2010, 05:57 AM
We have been in desperate need of these things. Since no vendor has stepped up on this (at least from what I can tell), I am assembling an interest thread. I contacted Steele Rubber and am going to see what we can come up with.

I need your help. I need you to vote in this thread on what models you would need and how many. I also need pictures of good or bad window scrappers as to determine variations within the years and body types.

I can't make this possible without your help... all of your help.

Thanks!
Frank

From: Frank Katzenberger [mailto:frank.katzenberger@squirrelpf.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:00 AM
Subject: RE: WEB CONTACT

Thanks for the contact back. I am going to get you that information. I need to assemble some of that information including pictures, etc. Here is a list of vehicles that our members have.

1978 - 1990 Dodge Omni, Plymouth Horizon, Shelby GLH, and Shelby GLHS
1979 - 1987 Dodge Charger, Plymouth Turismo, Shelby GLHS
1982 - 1984 Dodge Rampage, Plymouth Scamp
1985 - 1989 Chrysler LeBaron GTS, Dodge Lancer, and Shelby Lancer
1987 - 1994 Dodge Shadow, Plymouth Sundance, Shelby CSX, and Shelby CSX-T
1987 - 1995 Chrysler LeBaron
1989 - 1995 Chrysler LeBaron, Dodge Spirit, Plymouth Acclaim
1988 - 1993 Chrysler New Yorker, Dodge Dynasty
1984 - 1988 Chrysler New Yorker Turbo, Dodge 600, Plymouth Caravelle
1984 - 1993 Chrysler Laser, Dodge Daytona
1980 - 1988 Chrysler LeBaron/Town & Country, Dodge Aries, Plymouth Reliant

There are variations within those years with the typical changes occuring in 1987-1988 and 1991-1992. The people mostly likely to purchase these scrappers will be those who own the Shelby models list above and/or the newer model cars. The 7 cars manufactured/modified by Carrol Shelby are the...

* 1986 Shelby GLHS - 500 made
* 1987 Shelby Charger GLHS - 1000 made
* 1987 Shelby CSX - 750 made
* 1987 Shelby Lancer (780 made)
* 1988 Shelby CSX-T
* 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT
* 1989 Shelby Dakota (not listed above, but one car to consider)

I hope to solve a lot of the questions about numbers of people interested, etc, and may be able to get something too you next week.

Thanks!
Frank

BadAssPerformance
03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
I voted 3+ Black '87 P-body 2-door

For reference the late ('90 or '91+) P-body are different than the earlier ones.

CNH320
03-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Desperately need 89 CSX Black.

raccoon
03-18-2010, 09:22 AM
dodge shadow!

OMNI-Potent
03-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey Frank,

Whereas I normally don't post up what we are doing at OMNI-Potent until we actually bring products out - I'll make an exception.

We offer the window scrapers for the 4 door L bodies and have been working on all other cars for over 2 years now.

I certainly understand your frustration. It's very frustrating on our end that we have not been able to offer all the cars yet, but we do not give up.

Thanks!

contraption22
03-18-2010, 09:58 AM
While I am interested in the scrapers, there are plenty of other foam/rubber products that we need as well.

Has anybody looked to see which of these are still available from Mopar?

dodgeshadowchik
03-18-2010, 10:17 AM
2-door p-body for sure!

135sohc
03-18-2010, 10:37 AM
While I am interested in the scrapers, there are plenty of other foam/rubber products that we need as well.

2dr L-body are still available.

all P-body variants are NS1.

Chris W
03-18-2010, 10:52 AM
2dr L-body are still available.

all P-body variants are NS1.

We have convertible P-Body scrappers. We haven't put them up on our website yet.

Chris-TU

raccoon
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
hows the convertible version differ? the convertible only showed up after the thin scrappers were introduced to replace those wider ones that wrap around the door frame. I would imagine the convertible is the same as any 91+. any pictures of chris?

Frank
03-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Hey Frank,

Whereas I normally don't post up what we are doing at OMNI-Potent until we actually bring products out - I'll make an exception.

We offer the window scrapers for the 4 door L bodies and have been working on all other cars for over 2 years now.

I certainly understand your frustration. It's very frustrating on our end that we have not been able to offer all the cars yet, but we do not give up.

Thanks!

We have convertible P-Body scrappers. We haven't put them up on our website yet.

Chris-TU

Awesome. Well this thread will be able to help you gauge moving forward. :) Thanks!

135sohc
03-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Chris-TU

Arizona parts ?

Shadowjake
03-18-2010, 11:52 AM
I think almost anyone with a Shelby CSX needs a set. I would absolutely buy a set for my 89 CSX. Might even be willing to provide my crappy ones to help fabricate them.

Jake

MiniMopar
03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I bought a set for my CSX back in '98, so the rubber part is OK. If it is possible to reproduce the rubber part, it would not be terribly difficult to replace. IIRC, it is friction-fit over the top of the steel part and held in place with staples.

My Daytona needs them more than the CSX does. :)

MiniMopar
03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Also JT is right, the P-body doom trim changed in '90. The metal part is narrower. Even if it was possible to fit the older style on, it wouldn't look right next to the rear corner window trim. However, I'm sure there are a lot more people looking for the early ones than the late ones (CSX).

supercrackerbox
03-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I've got new ones for the Charger and for the GLHS, the ones on my Daytona are mint, and I've got backups for that too, so I'm set. ;)

I'm not going to vote since I'm not actually in the market for anything, but I will chime in and say that the CSX crowd are probably the most desperately in need.

there are plenty of other foam/rubber products that we need as well.

Definately true. While I'm set for the window scrapers on my Chargers, the outer door and window seals are umm, lacking. I washed my Charger saturday morning, and it was pretty chilly so my girlfriend sat in the car. She got a little wet.

Mr overkill
03-18-2010, 02:23 PM
frank you FORGOT the 89-91ish mini van i would take 2 sets you cant find them anywhere

minigts
03-18-2010, 03:27 PM

That is what we really need. The foam for all vehicles needs to added. :)

jonnyb
03-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I didn't vote yet because I'd like to see the correct listing for P-bodies because I'd hate to post up and/or put a deposit down on the wrong thing.

The correct info on p-bodies:
87-90 = smaller scraper that is riveted to larger window molding
91-94 = larger scraper and won't work on the 90 and earlier cars
91+ convertibles = simple rubber scraper that fits into the custom made moldings that were used on the p-body convertible cars

Both the 91-94 and the 91+ convertible scrapers are still available from the dealer new, so there's currently no need to reproduce them.

So Frank, I really appreciate your effort and would go for 2+ sets of 87-90 scrapers (have tried several times myself in the past to get them made and never had any success), but want to make sure you get the correct style made so you don't do all that hard work for nothing. I can post up good pictures of all styles if you want to see the differences, as I have them all sitting in my house right now because I'm trying like heck to get something to work for the passenger side of my current 87 CSX restoration.

Thanks!

Jon

Reeves
03-18-2010, 05:10 PM
I washed my Charger saturday morning, and it was pretty chilly so my girlfriend sat in the car. She got a little wet.

Were you washing it naked or something?

Directconnection
03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
I voted 3+ Black '87 P-body 2-door

For reference the late ('90 or '91+) P-body are different than the earlier ones.

Frank.... 1991+ window scrapers are in little demand compared to the 1990 and older. Besides, the 1991+ window scrapers always seemed to hold up to the test of time MUCH better than the earlier variations.

With that said.... 1990 and older is what you should focus on as far as P-body.

black86glhs
03-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I bought a set for my CSX back in '98, so the rubber part is OK. If it is possible to reproduce the rubber part, it would not be terribly difficult to replace. IIRC, it is friction-fit over the top of the steel part and held in place with staples.

My Daytona needs them more than the CSX does. :)I agree. I don't need to pay for the metal part. Just reproduce the rubber part.

frank you FORGOT the 89-91ish mini van i would take 2 sets you cant find them anywhereThere are a buch of vans here at the pull a part, I'll look and see if they are in good shape. If so I'll grab them for ya if you're interested.

Frank
03-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I didn't vote yet because I'd like to see the correct listing for P-bodies because I'd hate to post up and/or put a deposit down on the wrong thing.

The correct info on p-bodies:
87-90 = smaller scraper that is riveted to larger window molding
91-94 = larger scraper and won't work on the 90 and earlier cars
91+ convertibles = simple rubber scraper that fits into the custom made moldings that were used on the p-body convertible cars

Both the 91-94 and the 91+ convertible scrapers are still available from the dealer new, so there's currently no need to reproduce them.

So Frank, I really appreciate your effort and would go for 2+ sets of 87-90 scrapers (have tried several times myself in the past to get them made and never had any success), but want to make sure you get the correct style made so you don't do all that hard work for nothing. I can post up good pictures of all styles if you want to see the differences, as I have them all sitting in my house right now because I'm trying like heck to get something to work for the passenger side of my current 87 CSX restoration.

Thanks!

Jon

Just select P-Body... this is just a very "rough" interest thread. We will work out those details later!

risen
03-18-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm down for 1 set for the omni and 2 sets for my CSX. I'll even buy extras if it means they get made for certain.

54inches
03-18-2010, 09:36 PM
+1 for the Rampages.

Come on Rampage owners!

jonnyb
03-18-2010, 10:17 PM
1987 - 1994 Dodge Shadow, Plymouth Sundance, Shelby CSX, and Shelby CSX-T - 2 - Black :eyebrows:

135sohc
03-18-2010, 10:39 PM
4dr P body.

I havnt tried it but I believe the earlier wide style sweeps could be used on a 91+ car as the door stamping didnt change. Just something to consider when making your case to the company on why they should tool up and do this. More model years = more coverage = greater chance of it happening.

Frank
03-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Bump for more voters

88_pacifica
03-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Why is there only one gen of Daytona's listed just out of curiosity?

supercrackerbox
03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Why is there only one gen of Daytona's listed just out of curiosity?

Good question. However I'm pretty sure that the ones from '84-'86 fit the '87-'91s as well. Anyone know for sure?

Shadowjake
03-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Bump. I really hope this group buy pans out!

trbowgn
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
I could use a set for the Daytona.
The ones one the wagon are in great shape but my Daytona's have the typical vertical cracks.
Its great to bring awareness to a need like this so our vendors can better serve us and make more money selling us parts we want.
This could be a win win
or even a win , win , win

t3rse
03-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey Frank,

Thanks!

As awesome as it is that you offer the kits, I just can't afford 440$ for that. I can buy another Omni for 440$. I'm not bashing you; it really is amazing that these are even available at all. I'm just saying I would have to have a really nice car to spend that much money.

jaysshelby
03-31-2010, 10:42 PM
As awesome as it is that you offer the kits, I just can't afford 440$ for that. I can buy another Omni for 440$. I'm not bashing you; it really is amazing that these are even available at all. I'm just saying I would have to have a really nice car to spend that much money.

thats for the whole kit. if you just buy the outer window scrappers they are
185.00, thats less than 47.00 per door. Now that is cheaper than buying one side for a 2 door L-body. I just picked up a spare driver side outer window scrapper for my Scamp GT and with my discount it still cost my almost 70.00 including tax for one side.

Reeves
04-01-2010, 08:49 AM
thats for the whole kit. if you just buy the outer window scrappers they are
185.00, thats less than 47.00 per door. Now that is cheaper than buying one side for a 2 door L-body. I just picked up a spare driver side outer window scrapper for my Scamp GT and with my discount it still cost my almost 70.00 including tax for one side.

Will the L-body stuff be available from Omni-Potent at the Buckeye Chapter Swap Meet?

OMNI-Potent
04-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Will the L-body stuff be available from Omni-Potent at the Buckeye Chapter Swap Meet?

We'll be there. See you then!

Reeves
04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
We'll be there. See you then!

OK. I def need a set of the channel rubber/fuzzy.

JohnnyIroc
06-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Good question. However I'm pretty sure that the ones from '84-'86 fit the '87-'91s as well. Anyone know for sure?

yes 84-91 and 92-93 :thumb:

minigts
06-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Were you washing it naked or something?

ROFL Man I just read this! lol Nice one Reeves!

trannybuster
06-05-2010, 01:14 AM

^^Yeah you could buy another for 440 but itll have the same crappy garbage on it, that doesn even make sense......Finally a full set of channel and windw crappers for 4 door..thats bad a$$...Im already lining up those charger glass seals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

minigts
06-05-2010, 01:18 AM

^^Yeah you could buy another for 440 but itll have the same crappy garbage on it, that doesn even make sense......Finally a full set of channel and windw crappers for 4 door..thats bad a$$...Im already lining up those charger glass seals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. I don't see the point in continuing to buy $400 cars when they will all have the same problem. A car will be nice if you invest the money into it. Saying you wouldn't invest $400 on a car that isn't nice self defeats making it nice. Having said that, shelling out $400 period is hard to do and THAT I understand.

54inches
06-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Any news Frank?

87DaytonaPac
07-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Any updates?

CNH320
09-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Any progress? Would like to get some new scrapers on the CSX over the winter (This year preferably.. :) )

welderwalt
09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
I too would vote for the early P-body 2-door scrapers . 4 years ago when I was redoing my Shadow , I also tried to find these . I ended up getting some weatherstrip material from FPAP ( First Place Auto Products ) not an exact match but a good substitute , they mainly deal with musclecar stuff . I talked to them at the Mopar Nationals and they sent me some samples first , then I ordered the type I needed .I removed the old ones from my moldings , then I had to form up a light guage sheet metal piece to simulate the top part of the original rubber weatherstrip , then attached the new strip similar to how the factory did . After some trim paint they look like factory . I would like to do another set sometime , but I can't find any core moldings to work with , and it always seems I don't have the time. So if anyone is interested this could be another option .

PS: I don't mean to get off topic , just putting an option out there!!!!!:):)

ljbprrfmof
09-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Early P Bodies first, then the Daytonas, then everything else.

135sohc
09-20-2010, 12:57 AM
I too would vote for the early P-body 2-door scrapers . 4 years ago when I was redoing my Shadow , I also tried to find these . I ended up getting some weatherstrip material from FPAP ( First Place Auto Products ) not an exact match but a good substitute , they mainly deal with musclecar stuff . I talked to them at the Mopar Nationals and they sent me some samples first , then I ordered the type I needed .I removed the old ones from my moldings , then I had to form up a light guage sheet metal piece to simulate the top part of the original rubber weatherstrip , then attached the new strip similar to how the factory did . After some trim paint they look like factory . I would like to do another set sometime , but I can't find any core moldings to work with , and it always seems I don't have the time. So if anyone is interested this could be another option .

PS: I don't mean to get off topic , just putting an option out there!!!!!:):)

Great info and a FAR more realistic solution to this problem :thumb:. I honestly gotta sit back and laugh when threads like this start and people really think something will come of it. This community is so f#$king cheap and proudly brags about it. I think so few here could even fathom the investment a company would have to make to make these parts from scratch, the total sales potential and even fewer would buy them once they saw the price tag.
As it goes... Money talks and BS walks. :o

Polygon
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
I need some for my GTC and I will pay for them. I have no qualms with paying the cost if it will finish my project and I would buy at least 4. Looking at the poll, the J-body looks doubtful at best.

Reaper1
04-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I voted for Daytona's...of course. However, this needs to be split up as well because the T-top versions are different than the hard top versions.

Another thing that might be benneficial to many G-body and L-body owners is replacement seals for the sunroof cars!

luparguru
04-15-2011, 10:07 PM
for the Dodge Daytona with T-top, I found the window scrapers from the 90s Camero window scrapers can me modified with little work to fit and actually fit better than orignal.

martin kolner
11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
have the following "scrapers" NOS

1984-91 G Body non-t-tops DOOR outer 4198670-1 R/L

1984-92 G Body door inner 5259302-3 R/L

1989-91 MASERATI TC DOOR AND QTR WINDOWS

Door 4480622-3 R/L

QTR:

4507290-1 inner R/L

5253262-3 outer R/L

1984-86 K CAR CONVERTIBLES

4310270-1 R/L door outer

4310708-9 R/L QTR outer

1991-93 SHADOW CONVERTIBLES

5241460-1 R/L door outer

5241462 R or L Qtr outer

above are black metal moldings with a weatherstrip stapled to it

J BODY Convertibles:

1988-95 4534044-5 R/L QTR Belt outer

L BODIES:

I have a few off some of the earlier ones

Other body styles not listed: Ask as I have lots of w/strips for doors,conv tops etc. that are not scrapers too.

www.arizonaparts.com (http://www.arizonaparts.com)

shelbyrampage
04-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Yes, this is an old thread. Any progress as of yet?
:)

horsinaround
07-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Man I really need a set for my 90 2 door shadow. Mine are non exsistent !

BadAssPerformance
07-01-2012, 09:56 PM
YES, we definitely need these.. Omni-Potent gonna make them? ;)

supercrackerbox
07-01-2012, 11:06 PM
What year did they change on the Shadows? I used to have some very decent ones off a '92, I seem to remember the later cars being easier to find good ones for.

135sohc
07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
What year did they change on the Shadows? I used to have some very decent ones off a '92, I seem to remember the later cars being easier to find good ones for.

1991+ has the narrow type that seem to hold up far better than the older ones.

ajakeski
11-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Shadow 2 door sweeps here:

http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Great_Lakes_Hot_Rods/Replacement_P-Body_Window_Sweeps.html

DrTurbo
08-01-2021, 01:59 AM
Mark me down for a set of outside window beltline / scrapers for an 86 glhs

Wastelands Warrior
08-01-2021, 05:38 PM
Mark me down for a set of outside window beltline / scrapers for an 86 glhs

Holy digging up an old thread, Batman!