PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum line questions

Anonymous_User
06-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Quick questions regarding vacuum line sizes.

I'm installing all new vacuum lines with a home made distribution block. I have a bunch of 1/8" O.D. hard vacuum line and was planning on using it. The following items would utilize this size line:

MAP sensor (couple feet)
Grainger valve (grainger to w/g would be bigger) (few inches)
AFPR (less than a foot)

Questions are:
1. would this small size line cause any problem being used with the above devices?

2. starting without any lines I don't have any restrictors or check valves. Will the grainger work fine without a restrictor and will the brake booster be OK without a check valve?

GLHNSLHT2
06-03-2006, 11:58 AM
the fitting on the brake booster is a check valve, Dont use a restrictor on the grainger. Is the i/d of your line the same size as stock???? Is it nylon line or that clear line. The clear line doesn't hold up welll to heat. Nylon lasts longer and won't melt quickly. I use Polyurethane line which really works well. Haven't had silicone line in my hand so I'm leary about trying it. If the line you're using is the same i.d. as stock you should be fine. What you don't want it to be doing is flexing in and out under vacuum and boost.

cordes
06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Silicone line works great. I have it on both of my cars.

As to the topic at hand, I think that GLHNSLHT2 is right on. So long as the line is stiff enough to hold up to the pressure variations it should be OK. Just make sure that the connections are good, so that you don't blow off the lines at a higher boost level. That could spell disaster on the FPR.

Anonymous_User
06-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks.

Yeah, the line is rated 175 psi - we use it at work on pneumatic systems. I found if I take a 1/8" vacuum line (rubber) it fits extremely snug over the OD of the line so it works great. The line I have is temperature, sunlight, oil resistant.

On the grainger, I realized that I didn't need a resitrictor as there is a small bleed hold drilled into the wastegate side fitting. Should've looked before I asked, I guess.