PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 pissing oil on ground when running

87turbodance
03-12-2010, 08:44 PM
My 3.0 just began pissing oil all over the ground whenever it is running. The oil is basically pouring on the ground under the crank damper. I figure is loses about a quart every 3 or 4 minutes when running. This only began today after I was doing some high RPM / high load tuning on MS. I was reviewing my log with the engine idling and when I went to back up out of the driveway there was a big black puddle on the passenger side of where my car was.

Any thoughts? I haven't taken anything apart yet but I don't know what would cause such as oil leak. Front crank seal that's in the oil pump? Broken oil pump?

I'm not looking forward to taking the front of the motor apart this weekend.

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Front crank seal is leaking.

slasky
03-13-2010, 03:52 PM
front crank seal is leaking.

+1 .

Ondonti
03-13-2010, 05:10 PM
how is the oil pressure and how high in the rpms did you go?

We 3.0 owners are not known for replacing our oil pumps, ever.
Our pump is a set of gears attached to the crankshaft with the seal located right there ON the oil pump so an oil pump gear failure could push out the seal.
I would correlate high rpm testing with worn out oil pump failure from the experiences in the 3/S world. They find that when the inner gear fits too loosely on the crankshaft from either poor manufacturing or age, that higher rpm vibratiosn cause the gears to crack and destroy one or both gears.

Or just a freak problem?

Oil pumps really should be regular maintenence but on low rpm low hp engines, who cares? :nod:
The turbo crowd always changes them at 120k.

In some instances new OEM pumps have failed, possibly from bad machine work on the gears to have them fit too loosely on the snout of the crankshaft. Nobody is sure if that was a bad batch of pumps or a general problem. That was 2-3 years ago now though and those in the know have gotten more interested in billet pump gears then figuring out that past problem.

When the gears fail they should pretty much be junk so if you still have good oil pressure then either its something else or your gears are about to completely frag?
Also, rebuild kits are cheaper if your case still has proper clearances between the gears. Could just be a weird leak but I am guessing your motor is in the oil pump replacement age. the one on my current motor probably is too with 190,000 miles.

thefitisgay
03-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Front crank seal is leaking.

+2 had one of these at the garage

at least you dont have to pull the crank :)

87turbodance
03-13-2010, 09:53 PM
It just seems strange that all of the sudden the motor is leaking profusely from the front crank seal area. I only reved to 7200 according to the logs. Motor doesn't make much power up there with stock cams but I was just seeing what it'd feel like up there.

The oil pump was replaced last year but it was replaced with a ebay unit. Perhaps the tolerances on it weren't quite what they needed to be. It's been raining all day here and like 35 degrees F so I haven't touched it yet.

Oil pressure is normal

thefitisgay
03-14-2010, 02:05 AM
slam dunk a new oil seal on the front should only take a couple hours

87turbodance
03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
slam dunk a new oil seal on the front should only take a couple hours

Well... depends.. when doing it in the rain in a apartment parking lot when it is just above freezing outside it can take a little longer

thefitisgay
03-14-2010, 08:37 PM
seems like that would make me wanna do it quicker

87turbodance
03-14-2010, 08:51 PM
haha. true! I been procrastinating. Making up excuses not to do it. Parts store has to order the damn seals in too.

thefitisgay
03-14-2010, 11:28 PM
they try to talk you into the kit to? i dont htink you have to drop the pan but i cant remember i think i just used the oil seal out of the kit

87turbodance
03-15-2010, 01:27 AM
no. They just told me the front seal was 8 bucks but they had to order it

Ondonti
03-15-2010, 03:48 AM
Very glad your oil pressure is still good

87turbodance
03-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Very glad your oil pressure is still good

Me too. That was the firs thing I checked when I saw the huge puddle on the ground

87turbodance
03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
well I ended up buying a whole kit today. Comes with the oil pump gaskets and the front seal for 13 bucks.

Ondonti
03-15-2010, 07:46 PM
where did you buy that? special order? ive always had to wait a week at the dealer for the oil pump gasket.

87turbodance
03-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I just picked up the Fel-Pro set that my local parts store had in stock. It's a Canadian company called Part Source. Kinda based upon Autozone. I'll grab the set out of my car later and list the contents and part numbers. I used to work at this part store so I am allowed to use the computer and find parts myself - plus I get commercial pricing.

87turbodance
03-16-2010, 05:33 PM
I spent an hour taking my time time tearing the front of the motor apart and removing that stupid bracket and that went fairly well. But, when I went to take the crank sprocket off I noticed there was a ton of play in the key and when I went to pull the sprocket off it would move 1/8th of an inch and then get stuck. No I got the handy dandy two jaw puller and proceeded to get the sprocket 3/4 of the way off before breaking the back of the sprocket off. What a piss off. So now the sprocket is broken and wont come off. I'll try again tomorrow.

thefitisgay
03-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I spent an hour taking my time time tearing the front of the motor apart and removing that stupid bracket and that went fairly well. But, when I went to take the crank sprocket off I noticed there was a ton of play in the key and when I went to pull the sprocket off it would move 1/8th of an inch and then get stuck. No I got the handy dandy two jaw puller and proceeded to get the sprocket 3/4 of the way off before breaking the back of the sprocket off. What a piss off. So now the sprocket is broken and wont come off. I'll try again tomorrow.

uh oh... i didnt use a puller i just wiggled it until it was perfect and slid it off if that makes sense

87turbodance
03-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't normally use a puller but the key and keyway were boogered and the pulley WONT come off easily. I tried for over an hour being gentle before I got the puller out because I was getting pissed off with it...

I've done this before and the sprocket just slid off easily

thefitisgay
03-17-2010, 01:46 AM
bummer... loctite makes some stuff thats sposed to repair torn keyways

ha jb weld would probably work better

87turbodance
03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I had the car towed to my parents house so I can work in their nice big two car garage. Took some convincing but should make things easier.

I also went to a local auto wrecker and got a crank sprocket off a 3.0 in the "engine pile" for $5. Time to get dirty.

My building manager gave me sh*t when he saw my jacking my car up today...

thefitisgay
03-17-2010, 11:43 PM
My building manager gave me sh*t when he saw my jacking my car up today...

bummer good luck tho

87turbodance
03-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Well my new crank and bearings are installed. I just need to put the new front seal in the water pump and install a new rear main seal and then I can throw the oil pan back on. Everyone like pictures so I'll take a few and post them soon.

The crank sprocket key was broken in half and that's why the sprocket wouldn't come off. My main bearings were also work down to the coffer and my crank journals were pretty scored so it was time for a overhaul of the bottom end anyway. I think the bottom end was damaged from running a 5.0 filter with no anti-drainback valve; the motor would knock on startup until oil pressure came up. Knocking went away with a stock oil filter - this was a couple years ago.

This is all being done with the motor in the car - I should have fulled it to make things easier but oh well. Nothing like bench pressing a crankshaft into place without getting anything dirty or scoring a journal on the rod bolts !

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
03-27-2010, 02:32 PM
I just did it to mine, fronty seal!! 400 buck will fix it,
thats if you don't need a timing belt and a water pump

87turbodance
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Yay for new crank, main and rod bearings, front and rear seals and new oil pan gasket. Now many damn valve covers the leakiest part of my engine.

I have a puff of blue when taking off from stop lights. Is there an easy fix for this?