PDA

View Full Version : Long Island Rim Repair?

GLHS592
06-01-2006, 11:05 PM
I got a set of 1987 GLHS Centurions I want to restore. Has anybody ever gotten wheels restored by these guys?
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/wheelrepair/

I've heard people say they have but can't recall seeing any pictures. I'd like to see a few closeup pictures of some machine finished wheels that were restored by them. Thanks!

cordes
06-01-2006, 11:13 PM
I have seen the quality of Main street wheel and tire in ferndale MI. I would go with them for sure. I am not sure if they do it all in house or send some of it out.

Marcus86GLHS
06-02-2006, 06:04 AM
KEVIN they (Carl) did a pair of Cent I's for me this year:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/632000-632999/632619_252_full.jpg

i went with clear powder-coat but he does a lot of other color options including a seperate color between the spokes. he also machines the surfaces prior to coating.

overall its good work, but i would want you to know that they are not perfect....i have seen at least two other complete sets of Cent I's carl did for friends (8 wheels total) and each wheel had some small cosmetic issue mainly traces of porosity and/or dirt in the clearcoat....the porosity is due to the base material not carl's process.

so, if you want super-show quality with zero imperfections maybe you could do better (i dont know, maybe), but for the price he charges this is a great way to make the wheels look a lot nicer and with the powdercoating these wheels can be cleaned real easily, no brake dust can stick.

i use this pair just for my slicks at the track, i left my original wheels untouched cause the restored wheels dont look correct enough, close though.

hope this helped.

GLHS592
06-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks Marcus! I definitely want them to look perfect. Anybody have suggestions for another wheel resto shop?

shadow88
06-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Nothing even remotely close to you.

Around here alot of junk yards offer a rim repair business as a side project. I'd grab a yellow pages and call some of them up. Again, around here they cost about $80 to refinish just corroded aluminum, and around $140 to repair dents, chips and that type of stuff. They look damn near perfect when they're done. Hope that helps.

Marcus86GLHS
06-02-2006, 09:41 AM
of course, my "perfect" my be different from others' "perfect" (i'm known to be kinda picky)....i'd recommend Carl he's a true TDer and doesnt charge much.

Kevin once you do get your wheels done can you post back who did the job and some pix of the finished parts? good luck.

Frank
06-02-2006, 10:07 AM
How easily could he restore crab wheels or pizzas? how much can we expect to spend for a set with clear coat?

GLHSKEN
06-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Roughly $75-100 per wheel.

Marcus86GLHS
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
yup.

Frank you should give Carl a call he can fill you in on all the particulars when it comes to cast aluminum wheels for our cars, he's got a wealth of knowledge he will share with you....such as: the 1986 Cent I's are horrible quality castings that almost always show casting porosity just below the surface.

...and you can find out how his Shelby Lancer is coming along.

GLHS592
06-02-2006, 11:42 AM
of course, my "perfect" my be different from others' "perfect" (i'm known to be kinda picky)....i'd recommend Carl he's a true TDer and doesnt charge much.

Kevin once you do get your wheels done can you post back who did the job and some pix of the finished parts? good luck.

Well, I'm a perfectionist myself. These will be for my GLHS. I want them to look identical to what they looked like from the factory. Anything less won't satisfy me.

Marcus86GLHS
06-02-2006, 04:05 PM
KEVIN i think that you should avoid any shop that will be machining (skim cutting) the face of your wheels, very typical to remove the worst corrosion/scuffing, something Carl does do......the result is a clean wheel but an experienced eye can see subtle differences on the face of the wheel.

are your wheels really bad? if they have deep corrosion/curb scuffs you almost have to do some machining to get the damage removed.

GLHS592
06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Mine aren't really that bad. They don't have any corrosion that I can remember and no curb rash.

Xtrempickup
06-03-2006, 10:56 AM
you can also look into Wheel Collision Center in Pennsylvania, i dealt with then for all rim repairs and refinishing and they were good and i worked for a crash parts dealer, the parts have to be good for insurance jobs