PDA

View Full Version : The best muffler I've ever seen!

GLHNSLHT2
03-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Want your cake and eat it too? Today The Pope came over to my shop with some new muffler he picked up at a local shop to install with his new TU 3" exhaust on his shadow. We wanted to hear how it sounded, My new yorker has 3" straight pipe that sticks out past the bumper a couple inches as of this morning. So we fired up the car and just slipped it over the end of the exhaust. The noise reduction was HUGE! but the flow didn't seem to drop off. So I had to take it off and see how this muffler was constructed. I just about fell over when I looked down it. It's straight through!

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3806

It's stainless with SS mesh for sound deadening. So it'll never wear out or blow out. This muffler the model #49229 is a center inlet and offset outlet. The Pope's Shadow sounds really good now and it's pretty quiet. I have a video uploading to You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIbLrnr2XnM

Anyway Their mufflers are going on all my cars. Now I can be fast and stealthy at the same time. I've been struggling for over a year now on what muffler to get. I wanted my cake and wanted to be able to eat it too. Now I can!

These people are BRAND New it looks like. Their website's ordering catalog isn't even fully functional. So you'll either have to find a local distributor or call them. They even have a Mopar line of exhaust tips. The muffler above is from the Flow II series. http://dtexhaust.com/index.php?osCsid=a7c4afc330b65800bfb931cb199f8e3e

turbovanmanČ
03-07-2010, 04:01 AM
Interesting, but report back when its installed on the car, alot of mufflers will do that until you actually install them. Try that with a Magnaflow, does the same thing, etc.

I just looked at the website, looks like a Flowmaster but with a straight thru core.

GLHNSLHT2
03-07-2010, 04:31 AM
It's on the shadow now. Car is quiet. Has a nice quiet deep tone to it. I don't know how putting it on the end of my exhaust makes it any different than having it fully installed?

Birddog
03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
The location of the muffler in the system can change the sound dramatically. Looks just like a copy of the Dynomax ultraflo I had years back. Good piece!:thumb:

turbodaytona87
03-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Eh, my Dynomax is the same way. My car idles with a nice deep tone (muffler is sitting in the exhaust tunnel, just past the shifter's location, and the exhaust exits out the side).

Directconnection
03-07-2010, 11:48 AM
It's on the shadow now. Car is quiet. Has a nice quiet deep tone to it. I don't know how putting it on the end of my exhaust makes it any different than having it fully installed?

Because you have one noise "filter" happening vs. two. How much of a choke difference does two stock intercoolers make when running in series?

GLHNSLHT2
03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
There's no muffler on the New Yorker at all till we shoved the muffler on the end of the exhaust though so that's still only 1 filter.

iTurbo
03-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Yup looks like the Dynomax Ultraflo I use on all my cars. At this point I really can't imagine using anything else.

GLHNSLHT2
03-07-2010, 02:50 PM
you're right, it does look like the ultraflow. But this uses SS mesh instead of fiberglass to deaden the sound.

BadAssPerformance
03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
It's stainless with SS mesh for sound deadening. So it'll never wear out or blow out. This muffler the model #49229 is a center inlet and offset outlet.

you're right, it does look like the ultraflow. But this uses SS mesh instead of fiberglass to deaden the sound.

Interesting... the P/N you posted is supposed to have their "Flowmaster" copy inside. Or their website is in error.

http://dtexhaust.com/index.php?cPath=1_16&osCsid=a7c4afc330b65800bfb931cb199f8e3e

Loosk like they have two versions... just like Flowmaster?

http://dtexhaust.com/index.php?cPath=1_8&osCsid=a7c4afc330b65800bfb931cb199f8e3e

As far as deadener... Dynomax, Borla, Magnaflow and others use fiberglas but each company had different ways. Each company that I listed use a fiberglass fibers. Some companies use fiberglass cubes... different attempts at the same thing.

Now Stainless fiber? I could not find anything on their website about it but am curious to learn more about it. I am curious to their claims (and reality) over fiberglass.

BTW... This is cool, Mopar tips

http://dtexhaust.com/index.php?cPath=2_18&osCsid=a7c4afc330b65800bfb931cb199f8e3e

neongary
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
More made in China stuff. Ugh.

t3rse
03-07-2010, 06:30 PM
stainless steel wool...

Chad T
03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I've got an 18 inch Magnaflow oval that's center in/offset out like that on the GLHS with a straight through core and it's quieter than the stock exhaust was at cruise. I wonder if the diagonal tube going through there makes it more quiet.

tsiconquest88
03-07-2010, 11:38 PM
for what its worth its a dead lookalike to the magnaflow straight through mufflers like i just got, same stuff inside, ss mesh, ss casing, yadda yadda. I know this cus i have it and the inside is the same look and quality. If the theirs is cheaper than mine i will be pissed hahaha.

54inches
03-07-2010, 11:39 PM
There are alot of generic brand bullet style, cherry bomb mufflers that use steel wool as a deadener.

turbovanmanČ
03-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Did you guys look at the specs? It has a baffle type case, ala Flowmaster. All the other guys just have a straight thru core with fibreglass or ? for sound dampening, no baffles.

BadAssPerformance
03-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Did you guys look at the specs? It has a baffle type case, ala Flowmaster. All the other guys just have a straight thru core with fibreglass or ? for sound dampening, no baffles.

That was the point of my first post and links to their site, BUT the pic in post one is a straight thru... I'm :confused2:

tsiconquest88
03-08-2010, 09:24 AM
not the magnalow style i got, not fiberglass and all like the ones your talking about, its exactly like the one he mentioned. Taken from its description for my style of muffler from them p/n 11219,i got it for 72 shipped from a cheap parts site...

Magnaflow Performance mufflers are 100% stainless steel and lap-joint welded for solid construction and rugged reliability even in the most extreme conditions. They feature a free-flowing, straight-through perforated stainless steel core, stainless mesh wrap and acoustical fiber fill to deliver that smooth, deep tone. Mufflers are packed tight with this acoustical material unlike some others' products to ensure long life and no sound degradation over time. Backed by a Lifetime Warranty.

BadAssPerformance
03-08-2010, 09:29 AM
not the magnalow style i got, not fiberglass and all like the ones your talking about, its exactly like the one this poster is talking about.

Not fiberglass? Did you cut it open to see if there is fiberglass or steel wool inside? What does the manufacturer claim?

No matter what is inside all the 'straight thru' ones like in the OP look like the perferated tube show. Different companies claim different tube perferation styles and different types of fibers but in reality they are all just oval case glasspacks that sound deaden way more than a glass pack cuz they have more volume and stuff in them.

tsiconquest88
03-08-2010, 09:35 AM
read my above i added more info before this post you made. from what i see its nothing that the above muffler company being discussed doesnt have. And dont quiet my exhaust like theirs did thats for sure lol. In fact here is the jegs link for it. Not where i bought it but they show all the description magnaflow does and such. http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/11219/10002/-1

tsiconquest88
03-08-2010, 09:46 AM
and yea if that thing has baffles its not striaght through. where did you see that simon? i dont think anyone noticed that lol.

BadAssPerformance
03-08-2010, 11:12 AM
and yea if that thing has baffles its not striaght through. where did you see that simon? i dont think anyone noticed that lol.

Yeah, I noticed, He saw it in the link I posted. ;)

So sounds like Magnaflow uses both ss mesh and fibers...

stainless mesh wrap and acoustical fiber fill

tsiconquest88
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
yea but dont say fiberglass lol whatever acoustical MEANS haha

turbovanmanČ
03-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I noticed, He saw it in the link I posted. ;)

No, you hadn't even posted yet, I looked at the link Jay posted and its shows the internals of Jay's muffler.

turbovanmanČ
03-08-2010, 02:33 PM
That was the point of my first post and links to their site, BUT the pic in post one is a straight thru... I'm :confused2:

Weird, maybe Jay's was a one off?

BadAssPerformance
03-08-2010, 02:36 PM
No, you hadn't even posted yet, I looked at the link Jay posted and its shows the internals of Jay's muffler.

My Bad.... after reading your comment

I just looked at the website, looks like a Flowmaster but with a straight thru core.

I didnt think you saw what I saw on the website. The picture does not show a straight thru core and does not look anything like the muller pictured on post #1 !?

Correct, they have the baffles internally but then they run a straight thru tube thru center, sort of a Flowmaster/Magnaflow hybrid, ;)

Nope... no straight thru perforated tube on their website, at least for the subject part number...

turbovanmanČ
03-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Nope... no straight thru perforated tube on their website, at least for the subject part number...

Your too fast, I corrected it after going back to look at it again, :eyebrows:

BadAssPerformance
03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Weird, maybe Jay's was a one off?

Or their page is wrong? :confused2:

Your too fast, I corrected it after going back to look at it again, :eyebrows:

Always practicing R/T :D

turbovanmanČ
03-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Or their page is wrong? :confused2:

Always practicing R/T :D

Hahahaa, :fencing:

zin
03-08-2010, 06:06 PM
So what was the price?

Mike

GLHNSLHT2
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
yea the pic shows a baffled setup, but the baffled setup is the "flow sound" series. The perforated straight through tube setup is the "flow II" setup. The sound deadening mesh inside is SS too. Their website isn't very good.

Well I might of caused a big hub bub about nothing. 88tsiconquest has the same dimensional muffler in a magnaflow and he said it looks the same as the one I pictured. The Different Trend Flow II in the pic was $120 from our local retailer. So $40 more expensive than a magnaflow online. I'm seeing what the flow II costs in the dimension I want and if I can flind the magnaflow cheaper I'm getting the Magnaflow. Sorry for the uproar. But I did learn some stuff thanks to 88tsi so my thread was not for nothing I guess.

tsiconquest88
03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
well i wouldnt go the extent of saying all that yet, cus it might state 120 but that may be retail and im sure by the time they get around deals will get better. And im sorry man, this wasnt all my intent just so you know, in fact i merely mentioned it all cus, as i said if the price beat mine i woulda been pissed lol. Cus i would have just went with the one from your place you mentioned. This magnaflow i seen as high as over 100 especially when they first were done. but as time past and of course you shop around you get better and better deals. I been using www.streetsideauto.com and get awsome deals, in fact idk how they do it, there is always coupon codes for 10 percent and 25 off of 200 dollars, etc etc, i got it shipped to my door for 72.
They have melling oil pumps m118's for 52 shipped to your door, plus add in a coupon code and its down to 48 shipped. Reason i threw that in is cus its the deal i seen and will be buying one soon to get my rt back up and going. Just wish they had the other crap i need lol. My previous purchases with them have been awsome too and posted a couple here and there on this site.

Vigo
03-09-2010, 07:43 PM
I had a similar experience to jay when i put on my first dynomax straight through perforated core 3" muffler.

I put the dynasty exhaust on in stages, and at one point it had a 3" high flow cat and 3" mandrel to behind the axle, with no muffler. It was unholy loud. Then i put that muffler on it, and it went from unholy loud to VERY quiet in the cabin. It is still a completely straight-through 3" exhaust on a 3.3L, but inside the car it is not much louder than the stock exhaust, and at cruise you really cant hear it. I did the slip-on thing that Jay did at first, and did that back to back with a short 3" glasspack. The glasspack did almost nothing (in that location...), but the dynomax utterly transformed it.

BadAssPerformance
03-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Well I might of caused a big hub bub about nothing.

Not at all, we're always looking for new stuff :thumb:

I had a similar experience to jay when i put on my first dynomax straight through perforated core 3" muffler.

The full 3" (muffler shop bent) thru 3" Dynomax oval on my T2 Shadow pulls the same times as the open downpipe... :thumb:

thefitisgay
03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
but what does it sound like with the waste gate open

GLHNSLHT2
03-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Whoever has the wastegate open? :)

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2010, 09:53 PM
well i wouldnt go the extent of saying all that yet, cus it might state 120 but that may be retail and im sure by the time they get around deals will get better. And im sorry man, this wasnt all my intent just so you know, in fact i merely mentioned it all cus, as i said if the price beat mine i woulda been pissed lol. Cus i would have just went with the one from your place you mentioned. This magnaflow i seen as high as over 100 especially when they first were done. but as time past and of course you shop around you get better and better deals. I been using www.streetsideauto.com and get awsome deals, in fact idk how they do it, there is always coupon codes for 10 percent and 25 off of 200 dollars, etc etc, i got it shipped to my door for 72.
They have melling oil pumps m118's for 52 shipped to your door, plus add in a coupon code and its down to 48 shipped. Reason i threw that in is cus its the deal i seen and will be buying one soon to get my rt back up and going. Just wish they had the other crap i need lol. My previous purchases with them have been awsome too and posted a couple here and there on this site.

Stop saying "CUS", :eyebrows: :p

The Pope
04-19-2010, 02:04 AM

When I described it to you I don't think I made clear that it isn't all SS mesh. The Ultra flow SS made over 10 years ago was the first to use a perforated tube vs bent fin. Then they wrapped the tube in SS mesh. Then they wrap the SS mesh with fiberglass. Instead of the whole thing in fiberglass. Noise travels out side the tube through the holes and rides through the SS mesh. The fiberglass contains the sound as normal. But with just fiberglass the noise isn't absorbed into the muffler in a straight through like the new welded ultra flows. To be cheap and to leave room for sound travel they just put about half as much glass-pack into the new Dynomax race mufflers. Helps but just isn't the same. The original Ultra flow is about the same as your Magnaflow you have on the NY. I started buying them for V8s in the mid 90s with the SS packing, but Dynomax got cheap over time:(

JDAWG
04-19-2010, 02:18 AM
anything that sticks a foot and a half past your bumper is going to be quiet, even a piece of pipe, tailpipes have a lot to do with quieting down exhaust, just adding a turn down to a straight out tail pipe has a huge effect

tsiconquest88
04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
why? just CUS you said so lol? nah i just tend to shorten up my words to type less. like u for you, etc. Im lazy when it comes to typing long crap.