PDA

View Full Version : Engine: 2.2L Common block

redmixer88es
03-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm converting my shadow to T2 and I can't seem to find a local scrap yard with one.

I need everything except the pistons, crank, rods/pistons and the head

looking to spend like $50
kinda needs to be in decent shape. cyl's can't be overbored nor the mains

call or text me at 767---=====----8866

zin
03-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I may be showing my ignorance here, but aren't all common BLOCKS the same? I guess the 2.5s had the balance shafts, but is removing them and plugging the oil hole not enough to be able to convert it with a 2.2 crank?

I'm not trying to be a smart azz here, just curious myself...

Mike

rbryant
03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
I may be showing my ignorance here, but aren't all common BLOCKS the same? I guess the 2.5s had the balance shafts, but is removing them and plugging the oil hole not enough to be able to convert it with a 2.2 crank?

I'm not trying to be a smart azz here, just curious myself...

Mike

Yes you can destroke a 2.5 turbo block to 2.2 in order to make a T2 engine.

The common block 2.2 cranks are different than the older 2.2 cranks so you need an actual common block crank.

I actually used an NA 2.2 crank and a 2.5 Turbo block when I did my 8V engine build.

-Rich

zin
03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes you can destroke a 2.5 turbo block to 2.2 in order to make a T2 engine.

The common block 2.2 cranks are different than the older 2.2 cranks so you need an actual common block crank.

I actually used an NA 2.2 crank and a 2.5 Turbo block when I did my 8V engine build.

-Rich

Thanks Rich, I thought I had my head right, but had doubts!

Thanks!

Mike

TopDollar69
03-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I used a 93 2.2L TBI engine for my 8v build, it's actually a better block IMO than the 89 common block. All I had to do was drill a hole in the block for the oil drain back tube and insert the tube from another turbo engine I had laying around. The best part is I picked up the entire super clean engine from a junk yard for $50 because it had a broken cam. I suspect some shade tree mechanic installed a new timing belt and overtightened it causing the cam to break.