PDA

View Full Version : need advice on upcoming turbo rampage build

boostinfreak
03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
i know alot of people have turbo'd rampages so i hope i can get some good advice....here is what i have...84 rampage shell,basicly it is a rolling shell,no interior but a dash and dash harness,no engine wiring etc.i have an 86 shelby charger that runs and drives for my donor.it seems like i should be able to swap alot of parts over with no problems.the questions i do have are how do i do the fuel pump?an in tank or frame mounted? also what is the best way to do the taillight wiring?use the chargers or adapt the rampage harness.i am gonna swap everything i can,just to make it easier.it will be staying stock,log manifold and all.we are just looking to build a cool driver not a race car.if any of you that have done the swap can give me pointers i sure appreciate it.
thanks!!!!

boostinfreak
03-04-2010, 08:48 PM
nobody???wow

BadAssPerformance
03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Should have everything you need between the two cars

Aries_Turbo
03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
i dunno about the fuel tank. youll have to cross reference part numbers and see if they have the same tank. if not, just run an external pump.

i dont know if you need to pull the dash harness... id just leave it there and swap the engine harness and run an external line to an undercar fuel pump.

brian

boostinfreak
03-07-2010, 11:46 PM
ok,i was thinking i had to change the dash harness,will see when i get started..i will look at the tanks and fuel pump options when i get there...

Aries_Turbo
03-09-2010, 09:42 AM
youll wanna ask around a little as i havent done up a l-body but i dont think you have to change the dash harness. take a look in the knowledge center and see if there is any info.

Brian

contraption22
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
As far as I know, you do not need to change the dash harness. At least I didn't when I converted my Horizon from carb to turbo.

I only added a seperate circuit to run the electric fuel pump. I use the output from the ASD relay to activate a separate fuel pump relay.

Aries_Turbo
03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
there ya have it folks. :) ^^^^^

Brian

135sohc
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I use the output from the ASD relay to activate a separate fuel pump relay.

and in the later years when chrysler put in a dedicated fuel pump relay thats exactly how it was done. just spliced it right off

iTurbo
03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, no need to mess with the underdash wiring. The only thing I had to do under the dash when I converted my old n/a GLH to turbo was add one wire for the in-tank electric fuel pump. I used all the fuel pump wiring from an '88 TBI Omni and wired in just like stock. I also used the '88 Omni TBI fuel tank and sending unit. All you gotta do is swap out the TBI pump for the turbo pump.

boostinfreak
03-14-2010, 05:13 PM
well,luckily i have a complete running shelby charger for parts..so i will swap whatever i need right off it..thanks!!!

rosie
03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I swapped the whole dash with the wiring harness too. That way I had all the gauges and didn't have to re pin anything.

Haven't run the pump wires yet but I do know all the other body stuff plugs right in to what ever Lbody dash harness you use. (brake lights and what not)

ShadowFromHell
03-14-2010, 08:53 PM
What about the tank? Any way around a tbi or turbo tank?

boostinfreak
03-14-2010, 10:11 PM
I swapped the whole dash with the wiring harness too. That way I had all the gauges and didn't have to re pin anything.

Haven't run the pump wires yet but I do know all the other body stuff plugs right in to what ever Lbody dash harness you use. (brake lights and what not)

that is good to know..i think i had made up my mind to swap all the dash stuff over anyways..plus i think the dash in the shelby is in better shape.let me know what you figure out on the fuel pump wiring...i am guessing i will have to drill a hole in the floor to run the wires out to the pump.we will see.

boostinfreak
03-14-2010, 10:12 PM
What about the tank? Any way around a tbi or turbo tank?

if you dont want to swap the tank,put an external fuel pump on it.mounted to the frame.

rosie
03-14-2010, 11:34 PM
You'll get more out of it if you put in an "inline" and use the stock pick up. But since you have the tank from the other one, just put that one in and take the body harness that goes to the tank. On the truck you'll have to drill through the cab and replace with the bigger grommet you'll get out of the donor car. But the tank bolts right up.

boostinfreak
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
sweet,yea this is gonna be a stock cruiser not a race truck so the stock stuff will be perfect..thanks

rosie
03-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Right on. You'll probably beat me to completion even though I got the head start!

boostinfreak
03-16-2010, 08:46 PM
i hope to have it done soon.bringing the shelby home tomorow and gonna get it stripped first

contraption22
03-16-2010, 11:08 PM
The inline pump with the carb'd tank and pickup is an option as long as you don't plan on doing any kind of road racing, autocrossing, or even taking an offramp at an aggressive pace with less than 3/4 tank of fuel. That is the setup I have. Carb'd tanks are not baffled like the TBI and turbo tanks are. Cornering has always been an issue as I can hear my pump run dry and and watch my A/F go lean. It also became an issue at the dragstrip when my 60ft times dipped into the low 1.7's.

rosie
03-17-2010, 10:27 PM
The inline pump with the carb'd tank and pickup is an option as long as you don't plan on doing any kind of road racing, autocrossing, or even taking an offramp at an aggressive pace with less than 3/4 tank of fuel. That is the setup I have. Carb'd tanks are not baffled like the TBI and turbo tanks are. Cornering has always been an issue as I can hear my pump run dry and and watch my A/F go lean. It also became an issue at the dragstrip when my 60ft times dipped into the low 1.7's.

Didn't we go off of him taking the turbo tank off of the parts car?
Contraption, go order one from autozone! They're like a hundred bucks!

contraption22
03-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Didn't we go off of him taking the turbo tank off of the parts car?
Contraption, go order one from autozone! They're like a hundred bucks!

I have a brand new tank sitting in my basement. Nobody makes a new pickup/sending unit for Turbo/TBI tho.

boostinfreak
03-18-2010, 12:08 AM
yea,i am using the tank from the parts car.i now have the parts car at the house.should be getting the rampage here soon.also picking up a beautiful 89 shelby daytona tomorow that i am probably gonna fix the trans and flip

rosie
03-18-2010, 01:00 AM
I have a brand new tank sitting in my basement. Nobody makes a new pickup/sending unit for Turbo/TBI tho.

Really? dang it. Guess when I start racing my Scamp I better have the tank welded on before I put in the new one. It's got a GLH one at the moment.

contraption22
03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm wondering if I can use the carb'd pickup in the EFI tank with an external pump and gain some benefits of the baffled tank. Anybody know?

rosie
03-19-2010, 01:53 AM
I'm wondering if I can use the carb'd pickup in the EFI tank with an external pump and gain some benefits of the baffled tank. Anybody know?

I certainly don't but post up if you find out!

contraption22
04-06-2010, 11:21 AM
I posted this in another thread, thought I would post it here too.

Hey... I actually did find a pump, pickup, and sender assembly from Airtex on RockAuto.com

PN E7073S

Its for tbi apps, but I wonder if you can just change out the pump?

CSX153
04-06-2010, 02:18 PM
What if your using an 87 glhs under dash harness, do you need to add any wires for the fuel pump?

rosie
04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
What if your using an 87 glhs under dash harness, do you need to add any wires for the fuel pump?

Yes, on the body side but the good news (for my scamp at least) is the body plugs are the same as GLH/S so you don't have to run extra wires for brake lights and stuff.