PDA

View Full Version : Best Deal on an OBX LSD for my A568

navyboy65
03-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Hey Vendors, Who can make me the best deal on a new OBX LSD for my 92 A568? Would be nice to get some new bolts and belleville washers included in a deal?
Let me know, seth@gfire.us

4 l-bodies
03-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Unless you changed your 568 final drive ratio with a ring gear & intermediate shaft from a 523, the OBX will not fit. Until then your lone option is a 555/568 Quaife for around $1200-1300. They are getting scarce too.

navyboy65
03-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Unless you changed your 568 final drive ratio with a ring gear & intermediate shaft from a 523, the OBX will not fit. Until then your lone option is a 555/568 Quaife for around $1200-1300. They are getting scarce too.

Well don't I look Like an idiot! I knew if you had a 555 you had to switch gear/shaft but didn't know you had to with the 568?

135sohc
03-03-2010, 02:20 AM
http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=130
Its all laid out right there.

navyboy65
03-03-2010, 03:28 AM
http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=130
Its all laid out right there.

Thanks for the input and heads up! Still would like to get an OBX LSD!

92spiritrt
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
do a google search for it. i bought mine from erz performance in january for $350, they now sell it for $425. i normally prefer to support the vendors, but with those kind of savings i couldn't pass it up.

mopar3.0
03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
just remember that a few dollars saved is no good if it breakes and you need some warranty help
ebay wont be there for you lol
out vendors will
i just ordered one from turbounleashed
chris is good guy to deal with!

Directconnection
03-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I seem to remember that these need to be rebuilt.... even as new. Some parts not installed correctly or torqued properly. I think TU blueprints them before selling...(correct me if I'm wrong) so it would be a wise move going with our vendors vs ebay.

4 l-bodies
03-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Well don't I look Like an idiot! I knew if you had a 555 you had to switch gear/shaft but didn't know you had to with the 568?
No worries. Look forward to the future when you will have forgotten more than what a lot of others ever knew.:p Can't know everything, but some people sure think they do. That is why I had Cliff build mine. He knows transmissions like the back of his hand.
BTW they made three different final drive ratios for the 523. 3.50, 3.77, 3.85:1. So if you like that 3.85:1 ratio of the 568, just pick up a 523 with that ratio, switch ring and intermediate shaft and your golden. If memory serves me, 90-91 used the 3.85 ratio in some applications.
Good luck on the LSD install.
Todd

turbovanmanČ
03-03-2010, 08:49 PM
No worries. Look forward to the future when you will have forgotten more than what a lot of others ever knew.:p Can't know everything, but some people sure think they do.

Damn, my ears are ringing, :p

4 l-bodies
03-03-2010, 08:56 PM
just remember that a few dollars saved is no good if it breakes and you need some warranty help
ebay wont be there for you lol
out vendors will
i just ordered one from turbounleashed
chris is good guy to deal with!
Good advice. I would love to know how many of these OBX units have failed and how many have been replaced under warranty at no charge, either by the manufacturer or by our TD vendors? IMO, it's not a great sign when the units have to be torn down, inspected, and parts replaced prior to being put into service.:confused:
Todd

boost geek
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I have yet to see Simon break one, so until he does, they're bullet proof.:)

Chris W
03-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Good advice. I would love to know how many of these OBX units have failed and how many have been replaced under warranty at no charge, either by the manufacturer or by our TD vendors? IMO, it's not a great sign when the units have to be torn down, inspected, and parts replaced prior to being put into service.:confused:
Todd

These OBX LSDs are manufactured overseas where there is a serious lack of quality control. When we first get the units in from the manufacturer we visually inspect them the best we can from the outside. If we see anything that may look out of the ordinary we return them to our supplier.

With the TU service we completely disassemble, inspect and clean every component of the unit. We remove flash and other debris that is many times left behind. All belleville spring washers are replaced with upgraded pieces. We re-tap all holes and replace the original bolts with new case hardened versions that are the maximum allowable length. All bolts are then torqued to manufacturers specifications. The original bolts and belleville washers are returned to the customer with the serviced LSD.

So, basically, we go through everything with a fine tooth comb. When issues are found during the service that are not correctable by TU we return them to the manufacturer. To the best of our knowledge, none of the units that were serviced by TU has ever failed. Part of the advantage of obtaining the product through TU is that we go through the inspection prior to shipping to the customer. Yes, you might save a few bucks by going through other sources, but they will never take the time to unbox and look at the product before they ship it to you. We do. Should the unit you receive from other sources not be useable the cost of return shipping will eat up those savings. Worse yet, should the unit fail while you are flogging it down the track the cost of repairs will quickly outweigh the savings.

FTR- Only one out of the 100+ OBX units we have sold has ever failed. The customer had serviced the LSD himself.

Chris-TU

turbovanmanČ
03-04-2010, 05:16 AM
I have yet to see Simon break one, so until he does, they're bullet proof.:)

Damn, lol. :o

4 l-bodies
03-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to write this. Answers lots of questions that myself and I'm sure others had. I just recently purchased a Neon quaife (part of a group buy) for a 568/523 hybrid build, but with any luck will soon have another need for a 523 tranny build.
I have had a 525 diff. come apart at over 100 MPH on the track and I never want to repeat that again. The big expense is one thing and the cost of safety is another. People can die when stuff like that comes apart at those speeds. Nothing like feeling the floor move beneath your feet when the case explodes after the pin breaks in the diff.!
Todd

These OBX LSDs are manufactured overseas where there is a serious lack of quality control. When we first get the units in from the manufacturer we visually inspect them the best we can from the outside. If we see anything that may look out of the ordinary we return them to our supplier.

With the TU service we completely disassemble, inspect and clean every component of the unit. We remove flash and other debris that is many times left behind. All belleville spring washers are replaced with upgraded pieces. We re-tap all holes and replace the original bolts with new case hardened versions that are the maximum allowable length. All bolts are then torqued to manufacturers specifications. The original bolts and belleville washers are returned to the customer with the serviced LSD.

So, basically, we go through everything with a fine tooth comb. When issues are found during the service that are not correctable by TU we return them to the manufacturer. To the best of our knowledge, none of the units that were serviced by TU has ever failed. Part of the advantage of obtaining the product through TU is that we go through the inspection prior to shipping to the customer. Yes, you might save a few bucks by going through other sources, but they will never take the time to unbox and look at the product before they ship it to you. We do. Should the unit you receive from other sources not be useable the cost of return shipping will eat up those savings. Worse yet, should the unit fail while you are flogging it down the track the cost of repairs will quickly outweigh the savings.

FTR- Only one out of the 100+ OBX units we have sold has ever failed. The customer had serviced the LSD himself.

Chris-TU