PDA

View Full Version : bad vibration

jre97
12-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Well not really bad but is very irritating and shouldn't be there. Ok this is kind of a long story. I hit a rather large dip in the road the other day kind of hard. I heard a bunch of banging around. I lost a bell housing bolt and two others were loosening. I removed all the bell housing bolts and threadlocked them. I replaced the one that was missing which was the one under the front mount and I had to jack the engine up to get it in. Well that seems to have taken care of the axle vibration. Now its vibrating sitting still clutch in or out doesn't make a difference. It seems to be running on all four. Any Ideas as to what is causing it?

Murphy
12-28-2005, 11:19 PM
jack it up and see if there is any play in the wheels

jre97
12-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Not in the wheels, definately engine related. I think maybe I hosed a motor mount and am just feeling alot more of the engine. I had an 89 cougar xr7 with the supercharged 3.8 that had a ballooned torque converter that felt much the same way. The daytona is a five speed and I'm getting the vibration while sitting still too.

87glhs232
12-28-2005, 11:41 PM
Look at the rubber in the mounts. It may have separated the front mount. Also, since you had loose bell housing bolts, check the metal bracket part of the mount that bolts to the tranny/block. I had one tear in half.

jre97
12-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Yeah thats going to be tomorrow evenings project.

MVaughn
12-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Also check the motor mount at the front of the car. If they loosen up some they usually crack the mounting tab that is against the block.

Tony Hanna
12-29-2005, 12:39 AM
Sounds like some good advice!
John,
Bring it on over after you get off work tomorrow and we'll have a look at the mounts. Between the stuff that's laying around here and what's on the Lebaron parts car, I'm sure we can fix you up with a decent set.
Just be easy on it until then.:thumb:

jre97
12-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Turns out I broke one of the bolts in the pass. side mount and it was sitting metal to metal. This is the worse car I've ever owned for bolts loosening or breaking on there own. From now on everytime I have the hood up the threadlock is coming out ready to be applied.:nod:

Tony Hanna
12-30-2005, 11:20 PM
That was just strange. The vertical stud that holds the two halves of the metal part of the mount together snapped off.:confused:
That was a first for me. Oh well, at least we had plenty of spares to pick from right?:thumb:
I don't know what to tell you about the bolts backing off. When I had the car with the auto in it, I never had that problem. Sounds like you're on the right track with the threadlock though.
If that doesn't do the trick maybe we can try threadlock in combination with lockwashers.
Anyhow, bring that puppy over tomorrow and we'll replace the rubber mount and check the others.
Later,

3nglenn
12-31-2005, 11:49 PM
That vertical stud/bolt snapping is not as uncommon as you might think. It's happened to me 3 times over the last 5-7 years, two turbo's and one TBI. Why...? I have no idea other than we're dealing with a high stress area that's getting on in age (20+ years on some vehicles...), bad motor mounts...? G.P.

cordes
01-01-2006, 12:10 AM
If you are havin a problem with bolts backing out in a specific area such as the trans, I would suspect that they were not properly torqued. I would give them all a once over with the old torque wrench to be sure.

Tony Hanna
01-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do the bellhousing bolts torque to?
I've always just tightened them up "good enough" and left it at that.
Thanks,

turbovanmanČ
01-02-2006, 04:26 PM
That was just strange. The vertical stud that holds the two halves of the metal part of the mount together snapped off.:confused:
That was a first for me. Oh well, at least we had plenty of spares to pick from right?:thumb:
I don't know what to tell you about the bolts backing off. When I had the car with the auto in it, I never had that problem. Sounds like you're on the right track with the threadlock though.
If that doesn't do the trick maybe we can try threadlock in combination with lockwashers.
Anyhow, bring that puppy over tomorrow and we'll replace the rubber mount and check the others.
Later,

I see alot missing. If were talking about the pass side upper mount, then yeah, I notice that alot of people forget that the stud part is screwed it. The tighten up the large nut and of course, snap the stud or they think its tight when its not. I had a buddy with the same issue, sagging mount, I took it apart and the stud was bottomed out in the nut. Redid it all, bingo, fixed.

cordes
01-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do the bellhousing bolts torque to?
I've always just tightened them up "good enough" and left it at that.
Thanks,

I will try to look it up for you.

jre97
01-07-2006, 04:12 PM
I will try to look it up for you.
I would greatly appreciate it if you would! I am still having problems.

cordes
01-08-2006, 09:01 PM
I would greatly appreciate it if you would! I am still having problems.

Sorry, every time I think about looking it up, I am not at home. I tried my darndest on autozone.com in the manual section, but to no avail. Next time I am home, I will try to remember.

cordes
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
70ft.lbs.

jre97
01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Thank you!:thumb:

Tony Hanna
01-10-2006, 04:53 AM
My torque wrench is laying somewhere in the area of the 2.5 if you need to borrow it.:thumb:
Don't know if I told you or not, but Tiff and I found a house. It's maybe 2.5 miles from the hospital, so a short drive to work for her, and has a 2 car attached garage for me to play in.:dancingbana: :dancingbana: :dancingbana:
We got in touch with the realtor and made an appointment to look at the place Saturday morning. If you're free, I'd really appreciate a second opinion.
You know how I am about buying stuff that later turns out to be a POS.:banghead:
Later,

jre97
01-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I dunno I've got something thats a pos too! Now the car is making a loud cracking noise whenever the clutch is let out.I think the tranny mount let go. It's just getting on my nerves.
I'm getting a new car as soon as I get my taxes back. Wanna buy a daytona?lol

Tony Hanna
01-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I wouldn't get too worried about it man. You know that mount we threw in there was pretty shot too and there's no telling how bad it messed up the rest of them when the old one broke. We just need to replace all the rubber, torque the bellhousing bolts to spec, and go from there. Spring is coming up, and the work will be starting up again so if you do decide you want rid of it, I'll buy it. I think a better bet would be for you to get a cheap dependable car with your taxes and use the Daytona as a weekend toy until the Chevelle is done. Anyhow, I'll be home after we look at the house on Saturday and if you want, we can go through and replace mounts.
Just let me know.

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2006, 02:47 AM
I still think your missing the dowel pins.

Tony Hanna
01-11-2006, 07:43 AM
I still think your missing the dowel pins.
You talking the little hollow alignment dowels between the motor and trans?
There's just the two right? I seem to recall them both staying in the block, but if I'm mistaken and one or the other of them got scrapped with the old trans, we've got spares.:thumb:
Is there any good way to check to make sure they're still in place short of seperating the engine and trans?
Thanks,

turbovanmanČ
01-11-2006, 01:21 PM
You talking the little hollow alignment dowels between the motor and trans?
There's just the two right? I seem to recall them both staying in the block, but if I'm mistaken and one or the other of them got scrapped with the old trans, we've got spares.:thumb:
Is there any good way to check to make sure they're still in place short of seperating the engine and trans?
Thanks,

Those are the ones. I guess you could remove the tranny mount, remove the bell housing bolts and starter bolts, install some longer bolts and carefully pry the tranny back 1/2 inch or so, that should be enough to see if there in place.

jre97
01-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Another day another problem:banghead: Really starting to hate this car. Went to work this morning, got on the interstate and wet to hit 5th gear, guess what I got third.Went back to fourth and drove it on to work. Seems all I had was third and fourth. I put it up on the ramps and the ball and socket ended shift cable had popped off again. I popped it back on and tightened my wrap of tie wire I had retaining it from the last time this happened. While I was under the car I looked around a bit and noticed that the rubber on the tranny mount was busted badly and the rubber on the front mount was busted. I guess that explains my cracking noise.:mad: I guess I'll have the big mount changing party after work tomorrow, just me, half of my tools that I can actually find and three mounts.After that I'm going to change out that cable for the one I got out of the junkyard.

Tony Hanna
01-11-2006, 10:42 PM
You gonna do that at your house or mine? I'm sort of stuck here for the moment. The battery in the Crown Vic is dead.

jre97
01-12-2006, 08:09 PM
You gonna do that at your house or mine? I'm sort of stuck here for the moment. The battery in the Crown Vic is dead.
I'm stuck too my clutch just sh@t itself. On top of everthing else. I guess it's prime opportunity to put new mounts in.

Tony Hanna
01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Sure would be. It sucks all this is happening at once, but hopefully we'll be able to get it sorted out this weekend so that you're not having to deal with a different problem everyday.

jre97
01-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Sure would be. It sucks all this is happening at once, but hopefully we'll be able to get it sorted out this weekend so that you're not having to deal with a different problem everyday.
I'm starting to wonder if this isn't the joy of owning a dodge. Sure it's pretty quick but you have to work on it everyday. The daytona and I are not getting off on the right foot.

turbovanmanČ
01-12-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm starting to wonder if this isn't the joy of owning a dodge. Sure it's pretty quick but you have to work on it everyday. The daytona and I are not getting off on the right foot.

If you fix it right the first time, you shouldn't have to keep fixing it. I bought my van and fixed it up, new engine, brakes, shocks and struts, belts, hoses and didn't replace anything for year and a half, then I got crazy and started breaking pistons. Finally put a strong engine in this May and if it wasnt for my tranny dying-my own fault-builder error, me, lol! I have barely touched it, just stupid stuff like exhaust hangers, redoing it.

cordes
01-13-2006, 12:01 AM
If you fix it right the first time, you shouldn't have to keep fixing it. I bought my van and fixed it up, new engine, brakes, shocks and struts, belts, hoses and didn't replace anything for year and a half, then I got crazy and started breaking pistons. Finally put a strong engine in this May and if it wasnt for my tranny dying-my own fault-builder error, me, lol! I have barely touched it, just stupid stuff like exhaust hangers, redoing it.

I agree, once I fixed everything that was wrong with my shadow, and stopped upgrading it to focus on my omni, I have hardly touched it at all. The stuff that does go awry at this point is normal for any 16 year old car.

Tony Hanna
01-13-2006, 12:12 AM
I feel like this is mostly my fault. When I bought the car, I didn't really give much thought to replacing worn parts. It was all "what can I do to make it faster"? I figured I'd worry about the other stuff later. Even still, I didn't really have any problems with it until the trans let go. Now with the new trans in it, it seems like John is getting all the problems I didn't at once.

jre97
01-14-2006, 12:37 AM
I guess I'm just losing my patience when it comes to working the bugs out of a vehicle. My list of things to do for tomorrow include
remove tranny, install axle seals, new clutch, new pressure plate, new throwout bearing, all new mounts ex. bobble strut, and change that shifter cable that keeps popping off. May even get crazy and do the sway bar bushings while I'm under there. Hopefully that takes care of the majority of present and future problems. The only draw back is it's a fenco clutch, but it's free since the last one had a warranty. I plan on upgrading to a four puck clutch, t3 pressure plate, and a fidanza flywheel later this coming summer.

Tony Hanna
01-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Oh, so did you find out that the clutch was still under warranty?
Cool.

jre97
01-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Oh, so did you find out that the clutch was still under warranty?
Cool.
Yup and you also have a new front mount and tranny mount warrantied under your phone number now too. I had to pay for the clutch but once I take the old one in I get my money back.

Tony Hanna
01-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Cool! I thought you figured out that it was only a 1 year warranty. Anyhow, glad it worked out. We still gonna get into it tomorrow afternoon?

jre97
01-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Well new clutch, new mounts, no vibration yet. It acts like a whole different car. The only problem is I don't know for how long. Turbovanman was right I was missing one of the dowels I think. I didn't notice it when I put the tranny in the first time but this time I paid attention and one of the bolt holes, the one right under the starter was half missing. Meaning the block was broken.I think that was supposed to hold one of the dowels.

Tony Hanna
01-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah, that hole and the one right across from it are the ones that hold the dowels. That kind of has me worried. Did you say it was broken before or do you think it happened one of the times the bellhousing bolts worked loose?

turbovanmanČ
01-15-2006, 07:16 PM
You need to get a dowel in place, I have a broken one on another vehicle but theres enough for it to stay in place and catch the trans so no movement. If you only have one in there, it will all come loose again.

cordes
01-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Well new clutch, new mounts, no vibration yet. It acts like a whole different car. The only problem is I don't know for how long. Turbovanman was right I was missing one of the dowels I think. I didn't notice it when I put the tranny in the first time but this time I paid attention and one of the bolt holes, the one right under the starter was half missing. Meaning the block was broken.I think that was supposed to hold one of the dowels.

Glad to hear that you are making progress. Hang in there.

jre97
01-16-2006, 12:52 AM
You need to get a dowel in place, I have a broken one on another vehicle but theres enough for it to stay in place and catch the trans so no movement. If you only have one in there, it will all come loose again.
Well if it continues to be a problem I'll see if there's still enough metal there to put one in. I think there's about 3/4 of the hole left.

jre97
01-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Yeah, that hole and the one right across from it are the ones that hold the dowels. That kind of has me worried. Did you say it was broken before or do you think it happened one of the times the bellhousing bolts worked loose?
I'm pretty sure it was brokjen before I put that 555 in. I'd say crackhead rob did it when he took the 413 out or it was like that before. That hole never had a bolt in it that I know of.

Tony Hanna
01-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Yeah. I never noticed when I had the car and since I didn't pull the auto, I didn't notice it then. What I can't believe is that I didn't notice it when we were putting the 555 in. I'm sure something like that would have caught my attention. :confused:
I mean, it stuck out like a sore thumb with the trans out this time.

jre97
01-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah. I never noticed when I had the car and since I didn't pull the auto, I didn't notice it then. What I can't believe is that I didn't notice it when we were putting the 555 in. I'm sure something like that would have caught my attention. :confused:
I mean, it stuck out like a sore thumb with the trans out this time.
Didn't really stick out. The only reason I noticed it was I was looking for the dowels.