PDA

View Full Version : Keys lost in mail - solutions?

J&H Ryan
02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
I bought an SRT4, 2004, from an auction. Long story short, they sent me the title and keys in the mail. Not in a nice USPS cardboard envelope, but a plain, paper, buis size envelope. As anyone with an IQ above 60 would expect, the large SKIM key, being knife shaped, made its great escape presumably as it went through a scanner at the post office.

I'm sure I'm not going to get anywhere with these people (the perils of dealing with a business that could care less if you ever come back), I have a PCM, column, and keys from another 04. Can I swap the PCM and column out, or will this not work? Thanks!

1BADVAN
02-26-2010, 02:18 PM
i bet for a price the dealership could get you a new key. I have seen regular locksmiths look at a vin number go to their van and come back with a key that opens it up

looneytuner
02-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Take the title to the dealer. They legally need the title to make a new key although I saw a report where an attractive woman can get them to make it without the title and then steal someone's car.

J&H Ryan
02-26-2010, 02:39 PM
The dealer told me that I need to bring the car in, which would require towing it, then unloading a non-moving hulk, having them program it, then reload it. Hell, id bring them the column and PCM if I could, but they said they have to have the car.

blk86trbo
02-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Heck, try calling the exact post office that the letter was postmarked from...they probably have a whole bucket off keys and trinkets that are squirted out of letters. If your key is in some way distinct, maybe they can ID it over the phone. May be worth a phone call?

tryingbe
02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
The dealer told me that I need to bring the car in, which would require towing it, then unloading a non-moving hulk, having them program it, then reload it. Hell, id bring them the column and PCM if I could, but they said they have to have the car.

Try a different dealer?

Don't tell them the entire story, just tell them you lost your key and if they can cut you a new one.

glhs727
02-26-2010, 03:20 PM
The issue with the key is that it needs to be programmed for the alarm. otherwise just cutting a key would get you in and out of the car but the car will not run. You can get the dealership to get you a cut key based off the vin. Then if you have anyone you know with the Chrylser DRB III tool, they can come out and program the key to the car. If not, you need to load the car ona trailer and bring it to the dealership, so they can prgram it. Luckily I have a drb tool, and I have done it for my car and other customers, but since you aren't local I'm not much help.... expect about $100 for the programmed key

glhs727
02-26-2010, 03:21 PM

They wouldn't need to unload the car from the trailer. the tech can walk out with the tool and program it in about 5 minutes, or go with the tow guy and drive the car home....

glhs727
02-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I have a PCM, column, and keys from another 04. Can I swap the PCM and column out, or will this not work? Thanks!
you would also need the security skim box as well. But then if you needed to program a key or do a staged up grade or anything, it would be a pain becuase the vin doesn;t match the new parts. It would be cheaper and MUCH better and easier to take it to the dealer and be done with it. Is the car wrecked or something?

J&H Ryan
02-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I tried another dealer, same story, Cindy is right. Sloneon did see this, and directed me to someone local who is mobile and can do it. SCORE if he can indeed do it for my car with no keys. I'll have the dealer cut a skim blank and have him program it.

J&H Ryan
02-26-2010, 11:08 PM
I could try calling post offices, but how many did that puppy go through on the way from NC?

bakes
02-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Get 2 key cut and programed all at the same time you can have up to 4 keys programed into skim memory.

J&H Ryan
03-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I'm def going to have him do two.

contraption22
03-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Get 2 key cut and programed all at the same time you can have up to 4 keys programed into skim memory.

Agreed. Have two keys done at once. Once you have two keys, you can use the car to program new ones.

It may be pricey, but a better option than swapping PCM's and steering columns IMHO.

JDAWG
03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
or just get one cut/programmed, cut the shank off of it and shove it up in the column, the module will sense that it is always there and then just get generic keys cut at the hardware store.

J&H Ryan
03-02-2010, 12:34 AM
So I got the two keys cut thanks to slowneon and his referral of pyramid locksmith I think it was. It cranked - until I think a cyl filled up with gas and it slowly locked. It never fired, so I'm sure there is no damage, but now I've got to look into that...

rich tideswell
03-02-2010, 08:53 AM
cutting the keys and programming the keys are 2 different things. a cut key that is unprogrammed will start and then the car will die after 5 seconds.. 2 sets of keys and peanut fobs must be programmed by the dealer in order for the car to start and stay running

J&H Ryan
03-02-2010, 08:57 AM
cutting the keys and programming the keys are 2 different things. a cut key that is unprogrammed will start and then the car will die after 5 seconds.. 2 sets of keys and peanut fobs must be programmed by the dealer in order for the car to start and stay running
Ok, I guess I wasn't specific. I had two keys cut and programmed (had software and cables) by a guy who came to the car. Didn't have the peanuts programed and it starts (cranking). I'll get some from egay and have the dealer program those when I can drive it in. I'm having a guy at the shop 10ft down from where its sitting take a look at it today. It also has no clutch pressure. Ahhh cars...