PDA

View Full Version : Paging Allen Quackenbush, '86 GLHS #276

Marcus86GLHS
02-26-2010, 05:41 AM
A friend recently reminding me of what might be the nicest Shelby restoration out there, owned by Allen. I believe the car was prepared by Todd Nelson.

I lost all my pictures of that car and was hoping to contact Allen to see if I could get more.

Anyone know how to contact Allen Quackenbush? thanx.

2.216VTurbo
02-26-2010, 12:14 PM

denviola
02-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Met him at Carlisle 2 years ago, unsure if he was there last year. This is the 86 GLHS with the Masi engine, correct?
Maybe abkshelby on here can help, one of the Virginia members.
Unk D

EDIT, the car I'm thinking of is owned by Lee Saunders, as far as I know.

Turbo3Iroc
02-26-2010, 12:34 PM
If it is the Masi car then Lee Saunders out of FL owns that car now.

J&H Ryan
02-26-2010, 01:42 PM
He presented two at SDAC14. The Masi one was very very nice, but the 8v one is what I believe Marcus is referring two. It was the best resto I've even seen (though I don't believe I've seen Marcus' in person). I likely have some pics of it if Allen doesnt get back to you with his.

4 l-bodies
02-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Met him at Carlisle 2 years ago, unsure if he was there last year. This is the 86 GLHS with the Masi engine, correct?
Maybe abkshelby on here can help, one of the Virginia members.
Unk D

EDIT, the car I'm thinking of is owned by Lee Saunders, as far as I know.
You are correct. Lee now owns the Masi GLHS that Allan used to own. Car and owner are alive and well residing in FL. I got involved in the project with Allan after the original install. It never ran right. I redid a bunch of things to it over a 3 month period and delivered the car to Allan at SDAC 14. I made it to the finals in quick 8 during it's maiden voyage down the track. Got it into the 11's on under 18 lbs. boost!
Todd

Marcus86GLHS
02-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Todd, I was refering to the 8V one, the "over-restored" World of Wheels First Place car.

Do you have any contact info for Allan? or, any pix of the car you can email me? thanx again.

GLHS069
02-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Todd, I was refering to the 8V one, the "over-restored" World of Wheels First Place car.

Do you have any contact info for Allan? or, any pix of the car you can email me? thanx again.

George C. in Detroit owns it now.
Mark: pm me if you're interested in his contact info.

Marcus86GLHS
02-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Steve, pm sent.

4 l-bodies
02-26-2010, 04:14 PM
A friend recently reminding me of what might be the nicest Shelby restoration out there, owned by Allen. I believe the car was prepared by Todd Nelson.

I lost all my pictures of that car and was hoping to contact Allen to see if I could get more.

Anyone know how to contact Allen Quackenbush? thanx.

Marcus,
Allan doesn't get on this site very often. Email me for Allans email addy. Allan bought the car from me along with the red 16K one in a package deal. He came over with some of his tennis buddies and threatened to break my kneecaps with their tennis rackets if I didn't sell him the cars:p
I do have some really great photos of the car, but the very best ones are on 125 ASA film. They are of the GLHS sitting amongst the freshly fallen turned maple leafs on my property. Incredible colors! I always wanted to get some blown up poster sized. I've done that with most of my other cars I owned. The other ones turned out great! Finding shops that still do film isn't as easy as it once was. The photos are definitely calendar or poster quality.
Here is a photo of GLHS #276 parked with it's stablemates.
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt312/4l-bodies/ToddsCars067a.jpg

4 l-bodies
02-26-2010, 04:37 PM
He presented two at SDAC14. The Masi one was very very nice, but the 8v one is what I believe Marcus is referring two. It was the best resto I've even seen (though I don't believe I've seen Marcus' in person). I likely have some pics of it if Allen doesn't get back to you with his.
Well you sort of got that right. Yes the 8V GLHS was/is much nicer than the Masi car. 8V car was complete restoration on 30k car, while the masi car was original paint car. Apples and oranges...:p
I did enter two of my GLHT's at SDAC in Indy long ago. I Let Doug Mill drive my 86 GLHT (TII car) around because he flew into Indy for the event. While Larry Spindler and myself ripped around in my 85 GLHT that weekend.
I did deliver Allan's Masi GLHS to him at SDAC-14. I entered the car, but it belonged to Allan so Barry listed the car in the show with both of our names attached on the placard. Your probably thinking of Steve E. GLHS. It won it's class in the judged portion of the show over Bill. M. GLHS. Also from MN, so maybe that was confusing to some. Two different cars though.
GLHS #276 did make it to SDAC in Detroit, but the current owner elected not to enter it in the show. It was out in the parking lot. Lots of people I am told did go to look at the car.
Todd

Keito
02-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Well you sort of got that right. Yes the 8V GLHS was/is much nicer than the Masi car. 8V car was complete restoration on 30k car, while the masi car was original paint car. Apples and oranges...:p
I did enter two of my GLHT's at SDAC in Indy long ago. I Let Doug Mill drive my 86 GLHT (TII car) around because he flew into Indy for the event. While Larry Spindler and myself ripped around in my 85 GLHT that weekend.
I did deliver Allan's Masi GLHS to him at SDAC-14. I entered the car, but it belonged to Allan so Barry listed the car in the show with both of our names attached on the placard. Your probably thinking of Steve E. GLHS. It won it's class in the judged portion of the show over Bill. M. GLHS. Also from MN, so maybe that was confusing to some. Two different cars though.
GLHS #276 did make it to SDAC in Detroit, but the current owner elected not to enter it in the show. It was out in the parking lot. Lots of people I am told did go to look at the car.
Todd

Ah, isn't that the car the guy put a sign on and said it was retired from
competition?
I forgot to go look at it before he left.

4 l-bodies
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Ah, isn't that the car the guy put a sign on and said it was retired from
competition?
I forgot to go look at it before he left.
Yes Keith, that was the car. I sort of wished the current owner had entered the car so more people could have seen it, but for a # of reasons he didn't want to show it. I guess it is seen on Woodward Ave. every year during the dream cruise. Car couldn't have gone to a nicer owner.
Todd

Marcus86GLHS
02-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Todd I pm'd you.

You can email me Allan's contact info:

marcus86glhs@cs.com

that's a great pix of the gang of omnis.

Chad T
02-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Nice group of Omnis there! Todd are the Centurions on #276 polished or re-finished with clear?

sy2206
02-27-2010, 10:58 AM
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt312/4l-bodies/ToddsCars067a.jpg

Anyone else notice the difference in rear wiper arms between the 85 and 86's? I just noticed that now. Interesting...

omni_840
02-27-2010, 11:48 AM
^^^I'd say it's b/c the third brake light, but good eye I've never noticed that :)

4 l-bodies
02-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Todd I pm'd you.

You can email me Allan's contact info:

marcus86glhs@cs.com

that's a great pix of the gang of omnis.

Marcus, never received a PM from you, but did forward Quacks addy. by email.

4 l-bodies
02-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Nice group of Omnis there! Todd are the Centurions on #276 polished or re-finished with clear?
Thanks Chad. Centurian's and pizza wheels on 85 GLHT are polished w/o clearcoat. Since they are garage queens, they never deteriorate. Pizza's where done over 20 years ago. I clean them up with Wenol, Zoop seal, or similar product once every few years. I did clearcoat some polished Lemans centercaps, they seem to be holding up fine. Cleaned them with both lacquer thinner and alcohol to remove all traces of polishing compound before spraying.
Todd

spyder
02-27-2010, 07:57 PM
George is a member here , his username is Gcalv . Super nice guy , car is in good hands...

Marcus86GLHS
02-28-2010, 05:47 AM
thanks for George's username.