PDA

View Full Version : PT Turbo Limited vs GT differences

HoverFish
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Hey, my brother is looking at buying a 2004 PT Turbo Limited Edition. I understand these were rated at 180hp vs 220 (?) for the GTs, is that right?

So, the big question is, what are the differences, and how difficult would it be to bring it up to GT spec?

zin
02-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Curious myself... The wife thinks she'd like a PT, but I'm not sure which one would be the best deal/fit...

Mike

Turbo224
02-25-2010, 07:29 PM
If I recall, the Limited turbos are the low output 2.4 turbos, and the GT is the high output 2.4 turbo. The difference is like 40-50 hp.

Turbodave
02-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Mechanically from all I've read the two are the same, both have the same engine, turbo, intercooler etc.

The Limited is only available with an automatic, and no auto-stick feature on that.

The GT has either the Getrag 288 5speed, or the automatic with auto-stick.

From what I've read the MP stage 1 upgrade brings a limited up to the same power levels it does to a GT, so it's a good way to gain 50-60hp.

gtcvnt90
02-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Before my wife and I got our PT GT in 2005, we drove both a Limited and a GT, and the differences were dramatic enough to merit the GT to be our choice.

The first thing we noticed about the Limited was that while it seemed powerful enough, the suspension seemed unsettled while it was under power, and it was a bit floaty to drive with even the low pressure turbo, which I didn't like, as it felt taller and less balanced.

When we test drove the GT, everything I didn't like about the Limited was gone. Very tight handling, and none of the spongy suspension feel of the Limited. The additional power of the GT (180hp vs 220hp in the case of our late 2005 with the plastic intake manifold) was well harnessed and I never had a feeling of the GT being unbalanced.

We thought we'd get the cheaper Limited, and do Stage 1 on it. But there was no way I wanted more power with an already marginal suspension setup as it was stock. We went with the GT, and got the better brakes, bigger wheels, more horsepower, more options, and we don't regret our decision.

HoverFish
02-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info, but he's since decided to pass on this particular PT. He said there was amp wiring lying under the drivers seat, and he tends to shy away from vehicles which have had any wiring cut. He doesn't even like aftermarket remote starters being installed professionally.

zin
02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Before my wife and I got our PT GT in 2005, we drove both a Limited and a GT, and the differences were dramatic enough to merit the GT to be our choice.

The first thing we noticed about the Limited was that while it seemed powerful enough, the suspension seemed unsettled while it was under power, and it was a bit floaty to drive with even the low pressure turbo, which I didn't like, as it felt taller and less balanced.

When we test drove the GT, everything I didn't like about the Limited was gone. Very tight handling, and none of the spongy suspension feel of the Limited. The additional power of the GT (180hp vs 220hp in the case of our late 2005 with the plastic intake manifold) was well harnessed and I never had a feeling of the GT being unbalanced.

We thought we'd get the cheaper Limited, and do Stage 1 on it. But there was no way I wanted more power with an already marginal suspension setup as it was stock. We went with the GT, and got the better brakes, bigger wheels, more horsepower, more options, and we don't regret our decision.

Thanks! This is just the kind of info I was looking for, I too had the thought of bringing up the Limited to the GT power level, but I would have been sorely disappointed in the results from what you've stated!

Mike

DC Turismo
02-26-2010, 12:25 AM
The Turbo Lites can be brought up to 220 HP with a Stage 1 ECU, but the GT's are stock at 220 and can be brought up to 240 with a Stage 1 ECU. If anyone's going with a turbo PT, you gotta do the High Output.

Now IIRC, the later year turbo models after, say 05? were no longer offered at 220 stock like the 03-05 GTs?? Does that sound right?

Turbozcs2003
03-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I think after 06 there were very few GT's made. I think they dropped the GT after early 08 models.

Per the Touring and limiteds. You can easily upgrade the suspension with a set of Tokiko Blues 250 for all four corners, some new stiffer springs, ie eibach and front and rear sway bars. All a bolt on deal.

What you loose is the rear disc brakes altough some Touring and Limiteds came with 4 wheel disc.

CaptMoe
03-21-2010, 02:24 PM
The Turbo Lites can be brought up to 220 HP with a Stage 1 ECU, but the GT's are stock at 220 and can be brought up to 240 with a Stage 1 ECU. If anyone's going with a turbo PT, you gotta do the High Output.

Now IIRC, the later year turbo models after, say 05? were no longer offered at 220 stock like the 03-05 GTs?? Does that sound right?

I've never heard of two power levels for the Stage 1 ECUs. If you install a Stage 1 in a Limited or in a GT you will get 220hp AT THE WHEELS. The GT is rated at 220 crank HP, while the Limited is 180 crank HP.

This is confirmed by the insert you receive with your ECU when it arrives from MP.

2007 was the last year for the GT model and the H.O. Turbo...

Deadpool
02-25-2014, 12:14 AM
my dad owns a Limited. he states they made a program for the ECU that makes the limited up to a GT's power.

The Pope
05-25-2014, 10:23 PM
the limited and the GT with the same part number stage 1 make the same power, same setup.

Keep in mind though the limited is basically a standard Charger and the GT is a Shelby Charger. Body basically the same, springs, shocks, sway bars, brakes, traction control, 17" wheels, etc are upgraded on a GT. In contrast my grandma's limited roasts the tires easy, where as my GT with a stage 1 is a lot calmer to drive. Skinny tires and no track control makes them handle and smoke tires like an old muscle car, then like many nothing on top end.