PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a remanufactured Common block I purchaced

turboflanges.com
05-31-2006, 02:36 PM
Ok, I purchased a Remanufactured engine, pretty cheap in my opinion, But I have a few problems. It was listed as a 89+ TII shelby engine in their catalog.

I checked some of the clearances with a plastigauge and they are within "race" spec according to my mopar performance book.

The block is an 89 common block - Common block cast crank(I knew that part before I bought it)

But after getting it on the engine stand - I know see ,I believe, that it has 85 T1 rods. Which probably means that the pistons are wrong too.

The head is a 782 it has a an "86" (not sure if that is a date or ??) cast in it but "made in Mexico" on the inside of the head under the valve cover. So that should be a common block head right? It has rollers but I have no way to check the cam to see if it is a turbo cam or not.

I called them to see if they are willing to discount it further or exchange the rods and pistons and they said they would.

Will T1 rods stand up to 250 to 300 hp?

Do I need to check the Valves or will the N/A valves work? they work in my Turbo 99 Neon so....I assume so.

I am going to pull the head to make sure it is cross drilled

Anything else I need to check?

Anonymous_User
05-31-2006, 03:23 PM
The '85 TI rods are almost identical to TII rods. Only a few grams in difference and probably as good in the strength dept.

turboflanges.com
05-31-2006, 03:26 PM
The '85 TI rods are almost identical to TII rods. Only a few grams in difference and probably as good in the strength dept.

I knew the tops were similar - the bottom of the Tii rod seems beefier. I wasn't sure if that was to help with flex on the heavier crank or what. I was thinking T1 rods in a common block should be fine.

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 04:51 PM
NA valves can burn, there are pics of it around this site but if your running stock boost, you should be fine. If the rods are floaters, your also fine. One thing to watch out for is piston materials, alot of rebuilders, including good old MP, use Hyper pistons.
782 head is a 782 head, no matter what the year, the only differences are TS which should be stamped on the drivers side and cross drill holes, both of which are not really a big deal on a DD. Roller cam, yep, thats hard to tell, the only way to figure that out is to measure the lift etc on the head or have a shop with a cam doctor figure it out.

5sp. mini
05-31-2006, 06:31 PM
same thing in my van they had bills in there for over 2500.00 for reman. motor but had t1 rods and unknow pistons they removed the bal. shafts and it would lose oil presser after it got hot. i save the block and crank. i have t1 rods and other stuff for it. have to wait for the mini to die then i will use it. the bill said vin.code J t1 motor but what was in side not. ALAn