PDA

View Full Version : Adding gauges

Murphy
12-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Hello,
I am adding a boost, pyrometer(EGT), and dawes device to my car.

#1: the dawes device. how do i wire it up? red to pos(full time or 'on' power?) black to ground and white to signal?

#2: Pyrometer. for the electric wires, should the pos be all the time or just 'on' power?

#3 if these should be hooked up as 'on' power, should i sodder it it right below the steering colum on the wire comming off the ignition module or just wire tap it?

Thank You

Clay
12-29-2005, 10:43 PM
For the Dawes Devices A/F gauge, the white is signal, I taped into the signal wire at the computer for that one.

Dawes Devices specifies in their instructions (available at their website) to run the ground (black) wire directly to the battery for the best possible ground. They also state you can run the positive (red) wire directly to the battery as well because the gauge is not on unless it is recieving a signal, which is only when the car is running.

SO, since I had to run one wire to the battery, I just ran them both to the battery, and it worked out just fine.

Ive never hooked up a pyro gauge, so Im not 100% sure, but I dont see why it could not do the same thing.

Also, on the same note, if you know of a wire that is only hot with the key on, then sure, you can run the positive feed from that with no issues either. (this applies to both)

clay

looneytuner
12-30-2005, 02:52 AM
http://www.dawesdevices.com/tdmeter.html

Murphy
01-01-2006, 04:59 AM
I know the 'power on' wire where it comes off the steering colum, i tapped into for my alarm...i think i will either undo that and solder all the wires into there or wire the EGT and DD up to my fuse box as power windows(i have manual)

now i know it says solder the wires directly into the wiing harness for the DD...in my tubro wiring harness there are already wires soldered in but they go out about 2" then they have connectors on them... is this ok? or should i solder the wire coming right off the device with all connections soldered and no like male/female connectors?

THANK YOU!!!

cordes
01-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I have my gauges hooked up to key on power. It works really well. I fount it easiest to take power from the radio, or the cigarette lighter. I also have one hooked up to a power on slot in the fuse block.

turbovanmanČ
01-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Yep, personally, I have all my accessories hooked up to Switched power. You have to remember, if you have them turned on all the time, you will shorten there life span, except the Dawes.

Again, personally, hook up the dawes ground to the ox sensor signal ground, that way, its 1000% accurate.

Even he states it-
You can increase the accuracy of this meter by equipping your vehicle with a 4-wire sensor and connecting the meter ground wire directly to the oxygen sensor. Try one from a 91 Shadow.

deuce dodge
01-03-2006, 05:48 PM
SIMON as allways is right on.........have mine wired to be on with key.........but have a seperate switch for boost guage and a/f........

we call's it "STEALTH MODE".

deuce

Murphy
01-03-2006, 10:27 PM
http://www.projectjack.com/TD/DSCF0022.JPG

right there at the o2 hook up where the wires are soldered in then there is a connector, is it ok to use the connectors? or should the wire going to the DD be soldered in directly?

turbovanmanČ
01-04-2006, 01:02 AM
I just soldered the wire(s) in before the computer side oxgyen sensor connector.

MiniMopar
01-04-2006, 02:05 AM
The Dawes draw very little current, so grounding it to the signal ground is fine. Solder both the ground and signal wire. I always tap into the instrument cluster power for my guages (the 5A circuit). I think it is a dark-blue wire with a white stripe. The dawes doesn't care where the 12V comes from. It regulates it down to a much lower voltage internally anyway.

inmyshadow
01-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I wired the power wires to an igntion source. I then wired the lights to the head light switch.

Wasn't hard. I used the wiring diagrams then tested with a meter. Then I t-tapped them.