PDA

View Full Version : Opinions-New output shaft against old ring gear?

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 01:21 PM
I can get a brand new output shaft for $60, but the ring gear is $275-:eek:

Thoughts on using a new output shaft and good used ring gear? I know it could possibly be noisey also but I am willing to live with that.

BadAssPerformance
05-31-2006, 01:23 PM
how bad does the ring gear look?

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 01:24 PM
how bad does the ring gear look?

I have a few and they look good, or I can get another one from my parts guy.

BadAssPerformance
05-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Sounds like a $275 gamble... what will it cost if it breaks vs. this?

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Sounds like a $275 gamble... what will it cost if it breaks vs. this?

The only reason the teeth broke on the ring gear was the exploding output shaft teeth?

BadAssPerformance
05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
I meant if the used ring gear causes an issue, you'll be out a $60 pinion plus the $275 for a new ring gear plus??? vs. spending the $275 now.

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 02:27 PM
I meant if the used ring gear causes an issue, you'll be out a $60 pinion plus the $275 for a new ring gear plus??? vs. spending the $275 now.

I'l only be out $60 plus time. So I might just go for it.

Clay
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
I thought you were going to have your new gears magnafluxed??

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 04:44 PM
I thought you were going to have your new gears magnafluxed??

I was going to have my new/used set done but If I can get a brand new output shaft for $60, theres no need. The ring geer teeth are perfect except where they got chewed by the output shaft.

BadAssPerformance
05-31-2006, 05:51 PM
[wig guy voice] Do it! Do it! [/wig guy voice]

looneytuner
05-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Get a used ring gear that YOU haven't used. Seriously. Shooting in the dark has to be better than one that was part of one of your grenades.

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Get a used ring gear that YOU haven't used. Seriously. Shooting in the dark has to be better than one that was part of one of your grenades.

Hahhhahaa, I know, i have a few spares that are unused by me. I ordered the new shaft so we'll see, it won't be here until next week.

looneytuner
05-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Hahhhahaa, I know, i have a few spares that are unused by me. I ordered the new shaft so we'll see, it won't be here until next week.
With all the parts you break DC should have special air delvery. I had a customer from the Fenton plant that broke a driveshaft on a Mopar Rv near Plains Ga. The garage said a week or two. The cust borrowed the phone and made a call. (before cell phones) The garage owner freaked out the next morning when a corporate jet made a low pass over the highway and then landed on the return. New driveshaft in 8 hours.:evil:
I know I have a lot of bs stories, but they are all true.:nod:

turbovanmanČ
05-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Hahahahahaha, thats a good one. I wish I had connections, that way I could get my part sooner. Doesn't really matter, I don't have the time anyhow. BTW, someone told me there not a matched set so it doesn't matter. :thumb:

DUGZSHELBY
05-31-2006, 11:20 PM
I think you would be OK but Id recommend checking the gear pattern "mesh" with some "dykem blue" just to make sure your getting full gear contact. A used gear meshing with a new one may not fully mesh correctly and lead to another failure.... which Im SURE you dont want again!

MiniMopar
06-01-2006, 12:55 AM
When the sprag teeth go on a gear in a manual tranny, you have to buy a new gear. The other side of that gear pair is on the input shaft, which has all four gears cut right into the shaft. Therefore, if you had to make sure both mashing gears are new, you'd have to buy a new input shaft every time you had to replace a gear. Then you'd have to replace the other three gears, since the new shaft has all new gears.

Unless something strange was going on with the old gear that caused it to wear unevenly across the teeth, you should be fine. The new gear should have a slightly rough finish that should break-in quickly to the old gear. Dugz idea will make sure that you are OK. Giving it some highway miles before wailing on it is never a bad plan either.

turbovanmanČ
06-01-2006, 01:14 AM
I just wasn't sure if they were a matched set, but apparently, there not so all bets are off.

Good idea Russ on doing some highway miles first, :thumb:

TurboJerry
06-01-2006, 03:56 AM
It doesn't matter. I've used new with old just to "experiment", And it worked fine, even funny that there was no noise *most* of the time! I think a matched set would be better, but I woulden't pay 275 for a ring gear. Get a used set outta a TBI car. 1991+ should be solid pinion.........

turbovanmanČ
06-01-2006, 12:27 PM
It doesn't matter. I've used new with old just to "experiment", And it worked fine, even funny that there was no noise *most* of the time! I think a matched set would be better, but I woulden't pay 275 for a ring gear. Get a used set outta a TBI car. 1991+ should be solid pinion.........

The new ones are now solid so that part is cool. I have a solid one in one of my parts trans but upon closer inspection, one tooth is chipped, grrrrrrrr. :mad: Then calling the dealer, my pleasant suprise to find how cheap a new one is. I guess my loss is your guys is gain, all this new info coming about or being resurfaced, :( lol!

I don't know if this will help at all but I am going to make a new diff cover, I will use 1/2 inch aluminum. It might help keep the deflection to a minimum or might not do squat but hey, it won't cost me that much to make.

MiniMopar
06-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Another thing to check is the diff centering. I didn't like how close the OBX brought the ring gear to the case on my A555. Looking at the wear marks on the pinion gear, it was clear it needed to move. That's why I put one of the shims (about half the total shims used) behind the other bearing race (passenger side).

turbovanmanČ
06-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Thats one thing I did check when I put it together. It was perfectly inline, :amen: